Babadook

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
P.T.Widdle

Babadook

Postby P.T.Widdle » June 30th, 2015, 3:53 pm

This 2014 horror movie (now on Netflix) has a few magic tricks performed in it, one of which happens to be crucial in turning the plot around (not a spoiler).
More significantly, however, this movie scared me badly. And it will scare you, too. You've been warned.

Jim Martin

Re: Babadook

Postby Jim Martin » June 30th, 2015, 8:19 pm

We recently saw this and yes, YIKES!
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 1st, 2015, 10:42 am

I found it very good on the first viewing, but it didn't hold up well on the second go round. An incredibly brave performance by the lead actress.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 1st, 2015, 10:57 am

Shouldn't horror movies only be judged on the first viewing because subsequent viewings lose the suspense aspect?

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 1st, 2015, 11:35 am

Nope. Some horror movies hold up really well to repeated viewings. Reanimator and From Beyond, Dusk Till Dawn, Lost Boys, Alien,The Thing Either version, Invasion of the Body Snatchers original. Many others. If all you are doing is counting scares the movie is wasted.
Kinda like watching a magic routine just for the sleights.

Tony
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 1st, 2015, 12:18 pm

Magic routines (like movies) rely on the assumption that the spectator/viewer has not yet seen what is being presented to them. No one creates a movie or magic trick thinking about 2nd viewings. It is the first viewing that matters.

"Alien" is good on repeated viewings precisely because you appreciate all the great things it did to make you love it the first time you saw it - when you didn't know what was going to happen. Different experiences entirely.

There's a reason for the saying, "Never repeat a trick."

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 1st, 2015, 12:33 pm

You can't make overgeneralized statements covering all types of anything, including horror films.

Some stand up to repeated viewings, others do not.

Some people find The Exorcist (for example) frightening, while others laugh. Personally, I find it one of the most terrifying films ever made.

Everyone's opinion will differ on the first viewing, and ditto for the subsequent viewings.

Rigonally

Postby Rigonally » July 1st, 2015, 1:05 pm

The Babadook looks like Jerry Sadowitz.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » July 1st, 2015, 1:55 pm

Like many I could probably spend forever listing films that make want to say “Next!” And there would be more than several horror films on the list. Including “The Exorcist”.

I could also list more than several that had me yelling for me Mam and Dad first time around, but second and subsequent viewings make me think, “Why?” Age makes a difference, of course, probably as much as familiarity.

The film that shook me to my socks on first viewing was “The Haunting” from 1963. Black and white and dated, most people I know think it’s slow and boring and dull and so what. But for me it retains its power.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 1st, 2015, 3:24 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Everyone's opinion will differ on the first viewing, and ditto for the subsequent viewings.

That is true, but I am also saying movies are like magic routines in that it is the first viewing that ultimately counts in terms of the creator's intentions and expectations.

I will definitely say this: Babadook is the scariest movie ever...to have a Dove Pan in it.

AJM

Postby AJM » July 1st, 2015, 5:00 pm

The film that scared the bejeebers out of me was George A Romero's Night of the Living Dead.

I was a member of a youth club during my formative years and occasionally they would screen movies on a projector.

For whatever reason they screened this one evening and, of course, yours truly had to pass the local graveyard on the way home. I never did recover from the experience.

I have the DVD in my collection although I have never had the balls to watch it.

Do you like scary movies?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 1st, 2015, 5:34 pm

Robert Wise's film The Haunting is a classic and still considered so.

Ditto for Romero's original Night of the Living Dead, which I find more terrifying.

Of course I like scary movies! Why else would one watch them?

Andrew, we're going to have a special showing of Night of the Living Dead at the Genii Convention just for your ... in your hotel room, late at night, with the lights out.

jason156
Favorite Magician: Bro. John Hamman, Simon Aronson, David Regal

Postby jason156 » July 1st, 2015, 5:51 pm

I enjoy watching horror movies, although the truly great ones are few and far between.

For me the most terrifying film I ever saw as a child was not precisely a horror film, it was the original version of The Andromeda Strain. My parents took me and my brother to see it when I was about 9 years old. Over the years I have probably watched it 20 times, and still find it scary. It's a pity the new version is so poor, it lost the very thing that made the original so great ... the feeling of isolation.

AJM

Postby AJM » July 1st, 2015, 5:55 pm

As it happens Mrs AJM and I were planning to get tickets for Universal's Halloween Horror Night while we're in the vicinity.

Don't think I could handle a private screening of NOTLD too... :shock:

Return to “Alternative Media”