Practicing magic helps stroke survivors

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
MManchester

Practicing magic helps stroke survivors

Postby MManchester » October 13th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Sounds similar to the benefits shown by David Copperfield's Project Magic to teach magic as a form of therapy.

From the BBC:

Rehabilitation and physiotherapy play a vital role in recovery, helping stroke survivors to maintain their independence. But it can be difficult to keep up enthusiasm for doing exercises - so a new magical approach could make recovery from stroke more entertaining. Practising magic motivates people recovering from strokes to improve their memory and motor skills. It also helps to build confidence and fight depression.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29568165
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Practicing magic helps stroke survivors

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 13th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Wonderful stuff. There are several organizations and programs like this around, and they are all terrific. Julie Eng is involved in one for children in Canada. Someone (Damian-MrGoat?) posted one some time ago about a summer camp for kids with cerebral palsy that was reported by The Guardian. I have heard of some magicians that just do it on their own at local facilities.

I bought a copy of Richard Kaufman/David Copperfield's book that is used for Project Magic. It is terrific and a must for anyone who does magic in children's hospitals, elder care facilities, or rehabilitation hospitals where you might have the opportunity to teach someone a trick that will benefit the healing process.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » October 13th, 2014, 10:35 pm

I bought a copy of Richard Kaufman/David Copperfield's book that is used for Project Magic.

Would be interested in the book at some point, but Project Magic's order page isn't secured in the usual way. Is that how you ordered it? Also, a few harsh words on the Cafe about the current state of Project Magic and responses, though there are always complaints. But it makes me wary of submitting credit card information.

As an aside, I just reviewed the exhaustive list of Richard's contribution to magic publishing on Magicpedia. I knew he was prolific, but had previously only been familiar with Kaufman and Company. That is terribly humbling.

http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Ric ... bliography
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 14th, 2014, 12:36 am

I purchased mine from Richard in Las Vegas. He was selling them for a little more because he got them signed by David. I don't know if he has any left. Call the Genii office tomorrow and ask Margret.

willhoustoun

Postby willhoustoun » October 14th, 2014, 8:28 am

Hi Dustin,

This project is run by the same people responsible for the project featured in The Guardian - I know because I work with them! If you are interested in our work we have produced some additional videos on other aspects of it.

This one is about the work with children with Hemiplegia:

And this one is about a pilot with children in a secure psychiatric unit:

Best wishes,

Will

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 14th, 2014, 10:48 am

Hi Will,

Thanks for that. I did notice that "Breathe" (Magic and Arts) was in both stories and planned on researching it for my year-end wrap-up, so you just saved me a ton of time! I appreciate that AND (more importantly) the work you have done with this group!

Dustin

willhoustoun

Postby willhoustoun » October 14th, 2014, 1:38 pm

HI Dustin,

My pleasure - let me know if I can provide any more information!

Best wishes,

Will

Return to “Alternative Media”