Plays or Musicals that can contain magic

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Tom-Smith

Plays or Musicals that can contain magic

Postby Tom-Smith » July 30th, 2014, 3:16 pm

I am searching for plays / musicals that contain, or that can logically contain magic. Of course there is "The Magic Show", as well as magic effects in "Godspell" and "Carnival". I am looking for a possible show that can be a high school presentation with magic props possible bought or borrowed from local magicians. Thanks.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Plays or Musicals that can contain magic

Postby Q. Kumber » July 30th, 2014, 5:07 pm

While I didn't catch his show Irish magician Shane Gillen recently put on a show in Dublin titled, 'Lapse", which is a play with lots of magic and mindreading. It was a one-man show and I'd imagine pretty personalised.

Some years ago Ali Bongo put me in touch with a university theatre group here in Manchester who were putting on the play, "Further Than the Furthest Thing". There is some magic in it but not using magic props per se. Google it and you will find all sorts of interesting data.

Were I putting on a play using high school students, I'd go for Dracula. If you put on a musical you can always have one of the characters do a few self-working tricks.

When I was in school, one of the teachers put on a Vienese operetta every year just after Christmas. The songs used were pilfered from different operettas (none of which anyone knew anyway) and adapted to suit the ability of the students who were to sing them.

Doing a musical is a good idea as you can have a pretty big cast and if everyone can't have a part, they can be in the chorus. It also means you can use the school orchestra.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 30th, 2014, 5:37 pm

See here. Several years ago, this school did Steve Martin's play "Zig Zag Woman".

Tony Baronio

Postby Tony Baronio » July 30th, 2014, 6:20 pm

The original production of Pippin had some magic in it. It also has the song "Magic To Do".

Tony Baronio

Postby Tony Baronio » July 30th, 2014, 6:22 pm

There was also a little magic in the musical "Damn Yankee's".

John Tudor

Postby John Tudor » July 30th, 2014, 8:25 pm

You might try finding a book called The Magic Play, by Sam Sharpe, published by Magic, Inc. There are loads of examples therein...
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates

John Tudor

Return to “Alternative Media”