Geller on UK TV

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
AJM

Geller on UK TV

Postby AJM » April 30th, 2014, 6:38 am

Have just wandered in to the end of a segment on This Morning to see the indefatigable Mr Geller doing the old 'I can fix your broken watches/clocks' shtick he's been peddling for the past 30+ years.

Judging by the detritus scattered on the desk, the first part of the piece had obviously featured the old spoon bending routine.

People who tweet or twit (tw@ts?) were being encouraged to share their experiences on #benditlikeuri (whatever that means).

I'll pass I think.

Andrew

mrgoat

Re: Geller on UK TV

Postby mrgoat » April 30th, 2014, 6:52 am

Absolutely HILARIOUS response on twitter

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23benditlikeuri&src=typd

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 30th, 2014, 10:25 am

you seem upset that uri is performing material that has a long history. by that standard every one of us should be condemned. except in uri's case, his old material made him a star. not sure the same could be said for the rest of us.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 30th, 2014, 11:54 am

Brad Henderson wrote:you seem upset that uri is performing material that has a long history. by that standard every one of us should be condemned. except in uri's case, his old material made him a star. not sure the same could be said for the rest of us.

You've not seen my 'detachable thumb' or 'whoops, I stole your nose' work. I learned that about 35 years ago, it's still a classic. I think Marlo put out 238293 pointless variations of it, somewhere.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 30th, 2014, 12:17 pm

I pull my finger off all the time for people. What I've discovered is that most people have never seen this: it's so old it's new. Kids are puzzled, and many adults are genuinely shocked. So, I'm sure that Uri's old stuff works just fine.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 30th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:So, I'm sure that Uri's old stuff works just fine.

Possibly, the TV company's idea to try and engage on social media back-fired in a marvellous way though :)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 30th, 2014, 12:49 pm

So-called "social media" is anything but social. It's filled with jerks just waiting to make snarky comments and send in stupid photos--anything to make fun of what's happening.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 30th, 2014, 1:08 pm

omg. when I get stopped at airport security with a bag filled with weird looking stuff - which happens ALL. the time - I say 'I'm a magician, pull my finger off, while making the most self congratulatory - moronic face I can muster and they wave me through every time.

AJM

Postby AJM » April 30th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Didn't the film Mystery Men have a team of superheroes with useless powers?

I'm sure there was a 'Cutlery Man' in the team.

Andrew

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 30th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:So-called "social media" is anything but social. It's filled with jerks just waiting to make snarky comments and send in stupid photos--anything to make fun of what's happening.

Bit of a sweeping statement there rk!

Social media certainly was a large part of the success of emc and geniibash and I'll be using it extensively for the marketing of fism2015!

Of course there are idiots using it, but if you get it right it's brilliant. It's always a good finger in the air test for something. And the jokes about geller certainly were stronger than the support he got.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 30th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:So-called "social media" is anything but social. It's filled with jerks just waiting to make snarky comments and send in stupid photos--anything to make fun of what's happening.

you visit 4chan /b/ ?

here's a little /r/ to get a sense of what's out there.
http://www.reddit.com/r/4chan/comments/ ... b_2real4u/

okay now can we get on with complaining about a guy who does "mysterious powers and abilities" as his schtick?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Alternative Media”