Houdini movies in development

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Houdini movies in development

Postby JohnCox » August 17th, 2013, 10:24 am

Here's a rundown of all the Houdini projects currently in development in Hollywood (to my knowledge). Which one of these will break free from Development Hell? That's the real mystery.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2013/08 ... about.html
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Houdini movies in development

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 17th, 2013, 12:28 pm

This one sounds interesting! Screenplay by Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn, among many others), starring Adrian Brody, who has been an amateur magician his whole life and is an oscar winner for best actor, and produced by JJ Abrahms' father? I think they're going to make it.

Houdini Mini Series - History
The most recently announced Houdini project is a two-night television mini-series with Adrien Brody attached to star (working title: Houdini). Reports say the miniseries "traces the arc of the turn-of-the-20th-century master magician's life from desperate poverty to worldwide fame." Veteran TV producer Gerald W. Abrams (J.J. Abrams father) is attached as executive producer.

In May of this year Brody said they were still in the "beginning stages," but my spirit guide tells me the network has a finished screenplay by writer-director Nicholas Meyer (whose father, Bernard C. Meyer, wrote Houdini A Mind in Chains).

Are we Wild about History's Houdini? Yes! Even though I'm still warming to the idea of Adrien Brody as Houdini, this is the project I'd most like to see made as it's the only one that appears to be approaching Houdini's story as a traditional biography. And History did a great job promoting their recent miniseries The Bible and The Hatfields and The McCoys, so this could be a real event.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » August 17th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Yes! I think that could be the one to get made. We'll see.

BTW, I'be been holding back on Nicholas Meyer's involvement. That hasn't been reported anywhere. But I figured I'd spill it.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » August 19th, 2013, 6:05 pm

And just like that, History's Houdini is a go! (I swear I didn't know this was coming.)

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2013/08 ... udini.html

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » September 6th, 2013, 12:49 am

Not a movie, but today's ( September 5) Cindy Adams Column in The New York Post, says "A better magician than the Master Himself wouldn't know the sets and tricks for B-way's coming musical "Houdini." Y
Those involved took a bigger oath of silence than Weiner's psychiatrist..."

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » September 6th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Thanks MaxNY. That Broadway musical has been in the works since 2008. The latest is they are going to have a read through of the first act in December and then decide where they stand. It's now projected for a late 2014 opening, but we'll see.

You can view the history of it here:
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/search/ ... %20Musical

Daniel Z

Postby Daniel Z » July 8th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Today Worldscreen posted video of an interview with GW Abrams and COO Sandra Stern of Lionsgate discussing the upcoming 4hr Houdini miniseries.
http://worldscreen.com/articles/display/45741

Return to “Alternative Media”