frauds in church service

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
MitsuMatsu

frauds in church service

Postby MitsuMatsu » October 14th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Around 1980, I read an article in a certain news magazine (probably US News and World Report) on a new religion that carried out frauds in their regular church service for its believers. I wanted to identify which issue and pages it appeared, and read it again.
Reportedly, their show (with music and song performed by the cult founders family) included some fakery mind-reading and prophecy. For instance, a number of guests were welcomed at the entrance by a woman of the cult family who sent their conversation to the back stage by a hidden transmitter while the scene was viewed by the monitoring camera as well. This allowed the minister to address people attending the service with astonishing clairvoyant power on ones personal matter and distress, causing further devotion to the cult. I was afraid that the readers of the magazine may understand that all the mind-reading effect done by magicians is performed similarly.
If anyone could tell me which issue and page the article appeared, it will be appreciated.

Smurf

Re: frauds in church service

Postby Smurf » October 14th, 2011, 10:59 pm

I don't know about the magazine, but the material is essentially what you will find in James Randi's book.

The Faith Healers (Hardcover, 1987, and paperback, 1989, by Prometheus, NY). An expos of the methods used by evangelists who claim to heal by divine touch. This book led to the imprisonment of two so-called faith healers. Routines followed by the fake healers are described and exposed. Follow-ups on the healings showed no results due to them. Highly lauded by critics. Chinese edition, 2001.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 15th, 2011, 3:14 am

Yes, the main "cult" that does this seems to be Christianity according to the Randi book.

Popoff's postal donations for "prayer cards" for the poor heathen african babies was so large, he has is OWN zip code to allow for the amount of money he was sent in the mail.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 15th, 2011, 1:19 pm

Popoff is still up to his old scamming ways.

Taken directly from his website.

Return to “Alternative Media”