The history of the Playing Card

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Tabman

The history of the Playing Card

Postby Tabman » September 19th, 2010, 1:58 pm

On History Channel 2 right now. It's almost over but Im sure they'll run it again.

Jonathan Townsend

Re: The history of the Playing Card

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 19th, 2010, 4:33 pm

tabby that's great for folks who notice when you posted - though not so great for folks who come across this later on. It's like posting: "wow- outside we just had deer and turkeys. I'm sure they are not going too far. And cool... the geese are holding their territory."

In general folks - how about listing items of interest via links to TVGuide.com or similar so we can search them out in ADVANCE with proper name of program, producer etc. Not to be a complete grouch here, nor aiming this at Tabby personally (we have PM's for that) ;) But imagine how this kind of post looks years from now when it comes up on a search.

Thanks - I'd like the best chances to figure out what the show is and catch a repeat.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 19th, 2010, 4:41 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Some Maventype fifty years from now will post "There is reason to believe that magicians in the early twentyfirst century did not know how to use ..." :D

Tabman

Postby Tabman » September 19th, 2010, 9:17 pm

I came across the show and thought somebody else might enjoy watching it. It would be easy enough to suss out when it will be on again. I thought it was worth mentioning.

The History of the Playing Card
History Channels

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 19th, 2010, 9:21 pm

I'm pretty sure the geese will be across the street tomorrow. Not sure about the turkeys or the tv show.

Was this the show in question?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tabman

Postby Tabman » September 19th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Yep, that looks like it. Thanks for the link.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » September 19th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » September 19th, 2010, 10:13 pm

FYI. The credits at the end say that the magician doing the tricks and flourishes throughout the documentary was Rob James.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » September 20th, 2010, 11:44 am

As a sidebar to this discussion, I must heartily recommend James McManus's book, Cowboys Full. While the book focuses on the historical development of Poker, McManus devotes a bit of his time to the development of playing cards.

In the chapter "A Shivering Shaman and the Concubines of Invention", the author, citing the research of anthropologist Stewart Culin, makes a compelling argument for why playing cards needed to be created. Oooh, this is scrumptious food for thought.

Return to “Alternative Media”