The Mentalist on CBS Fall Lineup

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Richard Hatch

The Mentalist on CBS Fall Lineup

Postby Richard Hatch » May 30th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Not entirely sure they are using the term as we do, but this may be worth keeping an eye on:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/the_mentalist/
Anyone know it they are working with a consultant from our community?

Dave Egleston

Re: The Mentalist on CBS Fall Lineup

Postby Dave Egleston » June 1st, 2008, 5:12 pm

I saw some previews the other day, a direct ripoff of PSYCHE. Main character is able to make deductions from his observations of a crime scene.

Didn't look as entertaining as PSYCHE and the title nearly had me nodding off before the preview began.

Dave

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » June 1st, 2008, 5:29 pm

I think the only real similarity between "The Mentalist" and "Psych" is that the main character uses his hightened powers of observation to help solve crimes. This isn't a new premise (Sherlock Holmes, anyone?).

In "Psych", Shawn Spencer (played by James Roday) is passing himself off as a genuine psychic. From my understanding of "The Mentalist", Simon Baker's character, Patrick Jane, is a former stage mentalist -- I don't believe he's making any claims that he is a genuine psychic, however. Furthermore, "Psych" is a comedy, "The Mentalist" is a drama.

I've enjoyed "Psych", but I think there's also a place for "The Mentalist". I don't think that there's much similar between them, aside from the superficial plot device (which, as I mentioned, they share with the Sherlock Holmes stories).

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » June 1st, 2008, 5:33 pm

Is "Psych" still on?

I missed th promo for "The Mentalist"
by a few seconds last night.
The tail end where it showed the title.

"Psych" was funny.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » June 1st, 2008, 5:56 pm

Jim Maloney wrote:
In "Psych", Shawn Spencer (played by James Roday) is passing himself off as a genuine psychic. From my understanding of "The Mentalist", Simon Baker's character, Patrick Jane, is a former stage mentalist -- I don't believe he's making any claims that he is a genuine psychic, however. Furthermore, "Psych" is a comedy, "The Mentalist" is a drama.

-Jim

I'm not going to argue your points but in this case, during the preview one of the gals ask the lead character if he was "psychic" and he merely raises his eyebrows in response.

I'll probably watch this because I do enjoy the premise and I enjoy(ed) Sherlock Holmes and Blues Clues and Scooby Doo and Monk and so on and so forth.

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » June 1st, 2008, 6:20 pm

I'm with Dave...I'll probably watch it too.

I also like Blues Clues.

:)
you will remember my name

http://www.mai-ling.net

world's youngest illusionista

David

Postby David » June 13th, 2008, 9:04 pm

Dave Egleston wrote:
Jim Maloney wrote:

-Jim

I'm not going to argue your points but in this case, during the preview one of the gals ask the lead character if he was "psychic" and he merely raises his eyebrows in response.

I'll probably watch this because I do enjoy the premise and I enjoy(ed) Sherlock Holmes and Blues Clues and Scooby Doo and Monk and so on and so forth.
If he were a real mentalist he would have raised one eyebrow.

Rene Clement

Postby Rene Clement » June 14th, 2008, 6:42 am

[quote=Jim Maloney

From my understanding of "The Mentalist", Simon Baker's character, Patrick Jane, is a former stage mentalist --

-Jim [/quote]

BUT, I thought it was Jerry McCambridge who was "The Mentalist".

Return to “Alternative Media”