Charles Fort

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Furneaux

Charles Fort

Postby Furneaux » May 11th, 2008, 2:55 am

I am having a blast reading Jim Steinmeyer's new book, 'Charles Fort ( the man who invented the supernatural) '

It is a surprisingly fun read. Having read Mr. Steinmeyer's previous books, I knew the author's voice would be interesting in itself but I had no idea that the subject would captivate my interest so strongly.

I've tried to get into Charles Fort's own writings before and, as much as I've wanted too, never made it past the first bit of "the Book of the Damned'. My experience at the time was that the writing was too damned convoluted.

In his new forward to Fort's collected works, Steinmeyer suggests starting with "Lo" first and then "Wild Talents" before going back to his earlier works. That way you begin with Fort in his prime. It's going to be a treat to do so once I finish the biography. The biography brings the time and place of this unique individual to life. My interest is piqued.

I'm carrying Jim's new book at my three bookstores, I believe in it. You can order it right here through Richard's site by clicking on the image of the cover on the right hand side, scroll down a bit and you'll see it.

Highly recommended.

pixsmith

Re: Charles Fort

Postby pixsmith » May 11th, 2008, 9:45 pm

His interview on Coast to Coast AM (guilty of being a regular listener, thanks to the magic of XM radio and a lot of driving time) was really quite good. He gave great examples, lots of good historical info, talked a bit about magic, and came off as an all around good guy!

I hope it helped sell more than a few books! It certainly is the market for it.

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » May 12th, 2008, 4:15 pm

I have it on hold through the library.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Gord

Postby Gord » May 15th, 2008, 1:40 am

I bought the book today at my local book store, but was rather shocked to find it in the "Occult: alchemy" section.
Having not read the book yet I'm assuming this is a mistake?????

Gord

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » May 15th, 2008, 8:44 am

Gord wrote:I bought the book today at my local book store, but was rather shocked to find it in the "Occult: alchemy" section.
Having not read the book yet I'm assuming this is a mistake?????

Gord

I once found Colin Wilson's science fiction novel The Mind Parasites for sale in a section devoted to "Diseases of the Brain."

Return to “Alternative Media”