BBC magic

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Bill Mullins

BBC magic

Postby Bill Mullins » September 23rd, 2003, 12:44 pm

The BBC is talking about putting its archives online:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2087512/

I'd imagine that there's a heck of a lot of magic that this might include.

Ian Kendall

Re: BBC magic

Postby Ian Kendall » September 25th, 2003, 4:46 am

The article is interesting, but I think its maths is a bit off.

I would be surprised if the Beeb put everything up on the archive in DVD format (which is used to calculate the storage required etc). Since the license is for non commercial use, I would imaging that the format would be similar to their Broadband service, where you can watch selected Been programs (Eastenders, TOTP2 and the like) over a fast connection. The Beeb uses Real media streaming a lot, and I would think they would continue down this road. Remember, it's for watching at home on a computer, not burning to a DVD...

Having said that, I remember a quote from Paul Daniels a few months ago (possibly here?) where he said most of the tapes of the Daniels show were damaged, and thus lost forever :( Pete Biro is in contact with PD, perrhaps he could confirm?

That would leave the Nixon shows, and the John Fisher stuff (best of magic) but since Fisher did not give permission to put his stuff in the recent 'worlds best magic' shows, would he let them go on the archive?

Still, I think it's a fabby idea, and hope it comes off (I would recommend watching the 70s show 'Wings' if it gets uploaded. The reason I became a pilot...)

Take care, Ian

Edited for improper apostrophe use ;)

Return to “Alternative Media”