Mystery novels with a magic theme

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Cugel

Re: Mystery novels with a magic theme

Postby Cugel » December 2nd, 2008, 4:20 am

I think there was an Elmore Leonard novel a few years ago that had a character that was a former "box jumper". It might have been the one they made into "Out of Sight". The US Marshall was the ex-box jumper.

Not really a mystery novel, more a crime/caper novel. But great writing, for once.

humormagi

Postby humormagi » June 15th, 2010, 12:33 am

Let me offer two fairly new books by a new author. The books are "Of Ghosts and Magic" by Alfred M. Albers and his second novel, "The House of Tarot Cards" His main character is world renowned Illusionist John Michaels. Mr. Albers is a magician and a technical writer and is now writing mystery novels featuring his magician as the solver of these intricate mysteries.

I have read them both and highly recommend them. He is presently working on his third novel which should be out early next year.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 19th, 2010, 10:40 am

More magicians saving the world. Gives a new meaning to the term "laundry ticket trick"

http://www.jpwalter.com/machina/?p=802

enjoy the read

Ray Chelt

Postby Ray Chelt » July 24th, 2010, 4:15 am

Another fairly recent story worth picking up is by Scottish Crime Writer Christopher Brookymyre and is called "Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks"

It surrounds the puzzle as to whether a charismatic psychic is the real deal or not.

The great fun is that any one who has read Corinda will pretty soon have their own views until the said psychic pulls out of the bag one incredibly impossible piece of communicating with the dead. So whilst the book is written by a layman for layman its almost as though Brookmyre has put a huge bombshell in there for any magicians who might think they can explain it all away.

So is he real or isn't he---you'll have to read to find out.

NB A lot of Brookmyres other non magical mystery stories are fabulously dark humoured reads and well worth looking at.

Synopsis of Rubber Ducks:

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/books/attack ... ber-ducks/

humormagi

Postby humormagi » November 24th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Alfred Albers new mystery has been published and is now available. I have read the book and this one deals with a ventriloquist who is arrested and charged. His lawyer calls John Michaels, Albers main character and magician as a character witness. Michaels goes beyond that to help his friend and the story unfolds. His magical, out of the ordinary way thinking, he and we, as magicians have gives you a roller coaster ride of possible culprits and twists and turns. I kept track with a notepad and had enough clues for several mystery stories and didn't have a real clue until the end. This one is his best so far.

Return to “Alternative Media”