New Wife Swap promo

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Andrew Martin Portala

New Wife Swap promo

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 21st, 2008, 5:24 pm

Mark Paulson

Re: New Wife Swap promo

Postby Mark Paulson » January 21st, 2008, 7:36 pm

I've got my DVD recorder set! This will air January 23rd at 8pm.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 21st, 2008, 7:49 pm

yes

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 23rd, 2008, 2:51 am

http://abc.go.com/primetime/wifeswap/index?pn=index
New clip a sneak peek.
Well tonight the night.
This is going make or break me.
If you don't see on this forum the next day that's because I became a monk.

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » January 23rd, 2008, 12:03 pm

I like the dissapearing wife trick! ....I think.... ;)
Best John

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 23rd, 2008, 6:19 pm

What I don't understand is how the production company is able to find what seems to be an endless supply of up-tight, anal retentive women to provide the conflict.

I would be interested to hear from Andrew about how manipulative the producers were behind the scenes and how much editing goes into the program. How much of what we saw reflected what actually happened?

Seems that Jennifer had a quick change of heart after storming out of your house. Almost like she left your house and went to the therapist and had an epiphany.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 23rd, 2008, 8:39 pm

I'm sure that Andrew has signed a non-disclosure agreement that prevents him from discussing much of what happened behind the scenes.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 23rd, 2008, 8:42 pm

yep

Master Payne

Postby Master Payne » January 23rd, 2008, 9:39 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I'm sure that Andrew has signed a non-disclosure agreement that prevents him from discussing much of what happened behind the scenes.
Yeah, but we all know how good magicians are at keeping secrets :)
The only way to become a good magician is to overcome why you became a magician -- Max Maven

Gord

Postby Gord » January 23rd, 2008, 10:25 pm

I've never seen this show before and ... well ... I didn't really like either couple.
No offence to Andrew, it may have been the editing or whatever, but in the end I just couldn't find it in myself to care for anyone but the kids, and I only really felt sympathy for them.
Again, maybe it's just the editing, but that's what my wife and I got from it.

Gord

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 24th, 2008, 5:50 am

In the end, we must remember that is was a show, not necessarily an accurate representation of reality. The so-called "reality" shows came about years ago because the Writers Guild went on strike. A fellow named Mark Burnett came up with an idea called "Survivor" and television has not been the same since as network suits found that audiences would watch what is considered "unscripted."

This, of course, is nonsense, with "producers" setting up situations that cause conflict. The more emotional meltdowns, the better the "entertainment."

I had a friend, a well-known scientist and writer, who was approached to be part of the "New Gilligan's Island." The producers wanted him to play the part of "The Professor."

First they lied to him about the nature of the program - it was a contest with another team, something the forgot to tell him. He sent me the contract. They wanted him to sign away ALL rights, but that wasn't the deal killer.

One paragraph spelled out how the producers could edit the tape and show him in any light they wanted, in any situation they dreamed up, regardless of whether it represented "reality" or not.

I told my friend that he would be crazy to participate and he wisely followed my advice.

I think Andrew came off somewhat sympathetically in this show, but that was because they had a crazy, anal-retentive control freak as a counter.

Is Andrew's house really that messy, or did the producers set it up that way to push the crazy lady's buttons?

In the end, it was all for entertainment and I hope Andrew gets some benefit from the exposure as well as what must be some sort of participation fee. Otherwise, it only benefitted the producers and the network.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » January 24th, 2008, 6:25 am

In Kevin James interview on the Reel Magic DVD, he said straight out reality TV is not real and that he was manipulated by Simon Cowell in America's got Talent.

Reality TV is low resource, high return. Production costs are low and the return is high. I do know (since I got a copy of of the questionaire for a friend for wife swap, since they wanted Syd and I to do, but since we dont have kids, we couldnt (and wouldnt)) that the couples are paid $20,000 for the appearance. I know this helps Andrew out, and him being under NDA he couldn't tell you that.

Compare that to a weekly series where actors are getting $20,000 EACH per episode, or more. This is a cash cow for the networks.

It's a good business decision to do this and TV is business, but as it was said in 1960, TV is a vast wasteland. Dont get me wrong, there is some wonderful shows on TV (they are few and far between), but for the most part, it's TV aimed at the education level of a 7th grader.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 24th, 2008, 7:05 am

HI Everyone
Thanks for the kind words.
Well you're right it is show.
That's the was the way I looked at it.
My house was the stage.
But there are somethings I can talk about.
The things I said it was off the top of my head.
I was trying to make the crew laugh and I did.
I made my new wife Jenifer I made her laugh one time. She said, she hasn't laugh like that in long time.
I could go on and on with all the crazy things that happen.
But the reponse has been unbelievable.
I'm glad you enjoy the show.

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » January 24th, 2008, 8:26 am

For what it's worth, I found it very entertaining (and I've got a Master's degree).

Way to go, Andrew!

DocDixon

Postby DocDixon » January 24th, 2008, 9:55 am

Andrew,

Saw the show. Was one of the more interesting episodes.

Was wondering about two things ..
Given the fact that going into this experience you knew the producers could play as fast and loose as they wanted to with the final broadcast, why did you take the risk of doing this? What was the anticipated upside?

Second, was the other wife as clueless about magic as a career as she appeared on TV? You are obviously paying a mortgage and feeding your kids. From what I understand, your family has no non-magic income. From where did she think the money came?

With respect,

DD

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 24th, 2008, 11:39 am

Andrew, you have the BEST wife, just so nice and good natured. The other wife was really scary. Too bad for the kids that you guys didn't get to keep them all.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » January 24th, 2008, 12:24 pm

This is the first time and last time I watch this show.

I found the obsessive-compulsive-perfectionist wifes behavior towards her kids to be tantamount to some form of child abuse.

It was heart breaking to hear the 10 year old (?) girl say that the last time her mother actually played with her was when she was 5 years old (and her father was not any better).

This mother kept on talking about teaching the kids to be responsible. I dont know how forcing your kids to do chores all the time teach you to be responsible. When I was young I rarely did any chores (still dont do many), read comic books all the time, played video games, spent a lot of time doing magic and spent most of my adolescence partying and chasing girls. I have 3 university degrees and became a lawyer.

A childhood friend of mine had very controlling parents, similar to the mom on the show; he later turned to drugs and never went to university. Im not saying this is an absolute consequence, but it can be.

I found the magician wife to be fantastic. She came across very warmly. The dad however, did not help the public perception of magicians. Lets just say that after seeing this show, I feel much stronger about John Bannons thoughts expressed in Dear Mr. Fantasy, that I do not want to be called a magician. Just a guy that knows a few card tricks.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 24th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Originally posted by DocDixon:
Andrew,

Saw the show. Was one of the more interesting episodes.

Was wondering about two things ..
Given the fact that going into this experience you knew the producers could play as fast and loose as they wanted to with the final broadcast, why did you take the risk of doing this? What was the anticipated upside?

Second, was the other wife as clueless about magic as a career as she appeared on TV? You are obviously paying a mortgage and feeding your kids. From what I understand, your family has no non-magic income. From where did she think the money came?

With respect,

DD
1. It was publicity. We been doing newspaper, radio and tv. Today we got a call from an agent who booked us a few shows.
2. We were hoping to find someone to us organize.
But ..it's show.
Jennifer,redid our living room and when my wife came back she said No! everything is going back to the way it was.
3. Maybe get on the cover of Genii??

Jennifer was kind of clueless. Off camera I was showing all these performers who are making a good living do magic.She didn't get it.

I also ask her How she likes Toledo. She said,Where? You're in Toledo.
I think she was so overwhelm with everything.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 24th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 24th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 24th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Andrew,

Okay, I admit it: I watched it (via DVR: I watched the last segment of Pioneers of Television on PBS; fantastic!).

After about half way through, my son said, Dad, are you okay? Youve had that same look on your face since this show started.

Some random thoughts:

Children are not slaves.

A good vacuum is a wonderful thing.

Little miss appearance is important could stand to drop a few pounds and lose the cheesy red/purple highlights in her hair.

I felt awful for the little girl from the other family.

At least keep the dishes from piling up in the kitchen.

Im pretty sure I wouldnt have chosen the fence to run over.

Of the adults on the show, I suspect that your wife is the only one who does not need to seek the advice of a therapist.

You are a lucky, lucky man.

I hope your good fortune continues.

Best,
Dustin

James Nelson

Postby James Nelson » January 24th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Melissa got the Galvans to loosen up. The Galvan kids finally had some fun for a change. It wouldn't have happened without Melissa's influence. They were doing and enjoying magic, perhaps that was the introduction to inspire two future magicians.

Kicking Jennifer Galvan out of the house had to be fun....

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 24th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Thanks Dustin.
I hope down the road I can tell you more.
However,it's a show. Almost like a magic show.
And
Sometimes it was fun and sometimes ****! :D

DocDixon

Postby DocDixon » January 24th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Here's a wild guess:

Was it a producer's idea that you run over the fence?

Just wondering.

DD

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 24th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Hmmm......well it is show.
I can't say too much.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 24th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » January 25th, 2008, 6:19 pm

Originally posted by PickaCard:
The dad however, did not help the public perception of magicians.
I couldn't disagree more.

First of all, my wife was thrilled to death that I was finally going to watch an episode of this crap show with her (Okay...that's the name I gave this show and every freaken reality show except EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER...which always makes me cry).

That being said...although I liked the magic connection, I still don't like the show. As with all these shows, very little reality was happening.

I do agree that Andrew's wife is an absolute dream. Awesome, awesome woman. Exactly the kind of wife any man would want (I think I got lucky on that count myself). Her one comment about "how can you be disrespectful to anyone about what they do for a living"...made me love her even more.

But I also felt that Andrew made magicians look good! Yeah he drove into the fence (lets not forget he's a guy) but every time he was performing, not just kidding around, they showed him in front of EXREMELY appreciative audiences. Even to have the guy at the law firm think what he did was pretty cool. How could that possibly hurt the public image of magicians. They even showed the same lawyer having him perform for his kids party at the end. Again...a very positive imagery.

I was glad to see the other Dad loosen up a little, producers altering the reality I'm sure had a little to do with it...but lets face it...Andrews wife is an angel who can charm the bad out of anyone.

I was also glad to see that Andrews house got cleaned up...if indeed it was ever really that bad to begin with. But man...c'mon...you could have hid small countries in that house.

To Andrew and his family. Well done...and I hope this generates much work for all of you. May your passion in magic always reward you.

Glenn (my wife Malinda also agrees)
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 26th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Well I made on Jimmy Kimmel Live and Letterman.
Does anyone out there know I can get a copy of the show??
Here is me on Kimmel online http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing
Jan.24 show

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » January 26th, 2008, 9:07 pm

Well I made it on Jimmy Kimmel Live and Letterman.
Does anyone out there know how I can get a copy of the show??
Here's me on Kimmel online http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing
Jan.24 show

Return to “Alternative Media”