The Hollow Men by Jonathan Pendragon

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
tulane

The Hollow Men by Jonathan Pendragon

Postby tulane » June 1st, 2017, 6:15 am

This was an incredibly powerful piece about a taboo that needs to be broken.

I remember being a fan of the Pendragons as a teenager, when I was first getting into the art. I had no idea that his life was marked by so many personal tragedies (including some that were not mentioned in the article), and that each one was exploited by the press and turned into salacious and provocative headlines for cheap clicks... a permanent, everlasting kick in the nuts every time he Googles his name.

This article really made me think about how grateful I am to be an amateur without fame. In the age of social media and the weaponised slander industry, the price would simply be too high for me.

Also, it took a lot of courage for Johnathan to touch on a topic that seems to be off-limits in a politically-correct society. Male disposability, and the silent epidemic of male suicide... especially as men reach their 40s and beyond. http://www.bcmj.org/articles/silent-epidemic-male-suicide

This article was courageous and important. Great work Genii!

And thank you Jonathan for making yourself so vulnerable and sharing something so personal.

Tom Stone

Re: The Hollow Men by Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Tom Stone » June 1st, 2017, 9:28 am

That was also the theme for the International Men's Day 2016.

Yes, there is a perceived and false "stigma" when it comes to mental health that definitely needs to be removed. If less educated people think that getting one's brain chemistry out of whack reflects poorly on character or have moral implications, it is an act of kindness to educate them. Jonathan's generosity with his own experiences is a benefit to us all.

Daniel Z

Postby Daniel Z » June 1st, 2017, 12:08 pm

I thought the same when I read the article. It was courageous and important article from someone who has both suffered personal tragedies, and borne them with dignity.

tulane

Postby tulane » June 2nd, 2017, 10:21 am

Tom Stone wrote:That was also the theme for the International Men's Day 2016

If anyone here hasn't seen The Red Pill yet, I'd highly recommend it.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » June 6th, 2017, 9:35 pm

I wrote the article after reading the thread on Daryl's death. My column's are as important to me as my performance on stage and I believed I had to treat this with the same passion and desire for truth. I really hoped it would open doors for those who suffer in silence and more, help those near the edge to walk it back.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » June 19th, 2017, 4:47 pm

I think it is tough being a guy these days. Marriage is no longer a good deal for men (even putting aside the ruinous expense of divorces these days).

Scott Adams (the Dilbert cartoonist) has some interesting thoughts about the issues facing men today in the traditional family set up. He is not a fan.

I am never going to get married or have kids. Hell - I don't even date. So maybe the posts below speak to me in a way they may not to others.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1030511585 ... generation

As for the issue of suicide. A quote I always liked is this one:

'Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.'

Return to “Feature Articles”