Monster by Mott-sun Review in Sept. 2012 Genii

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
KevinT

Monster by Mott-sun Review in Sept. 2012 Genii

Postby KevinT » August 22nd, 2012, 4:56 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here to these boards. I recently subscripted to Genii for a year to take advantage of the magazine and resources. I worked with french drop to make Monster by Mott-sun which was viwered in Genii Magazine (current issue?). I did the voice dubbing, english correction, and voice overs.

It was quite a process to say the least. Alot of sweat and tears went into the process of dubbing. Since I know a decent amount of japanese, it was still very difficult. Overall, my part took about 6 months of re-recording,lip dubbing, reviewing the japanese to understand the cues of each word, constantly replaying the videos to match the sync as much as possible, and make the english as natural as possible. It was quite manged when I had to correct it and make it natural, and although the translator Norifumi did a great job whith what he could work with, it was laboring to say the least to fit each sentence in the context of each routine. Japanese is very different from english, understanding the context and guessing the best meaning in each situation was very hard. Despite this, when I got the preproduction copy in the mail, I was very upset with the job I did.I begged french drop to let e re-record, as I thought it was horrible, but they assured me I did a great job, to this day I am severely disappointed in myself , and it haunts me everyday.

Even the title is wrong, which I made, "9 well-selected coin tricks", isn't quite correct.

Anyway, I tried my best. I've been doing magic for many years, practicing ponta's material and lawren godons A.V.A quite a bit, so I have a strong background in coin magic.

I heard the DVD got mixed reviews, but as I don't yet have access to the digital verison, I'm very curious how the reviews turned out. One reason I subscripted was to have a hard copy of the Sept 2012 issue.

I also wanted to mention part of the issuing in the recording was that the audio came from my android phone - I had no other choice. Of course, french drop did correct it and edit the sound the best they could.

Best wishes to you all!

Kevin T.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Monster by Mott-sun Review in Sept. 2012 Genii

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 22nd, 2012, 5:48 pm

It got a mixed review but generally good review in our September issue. Don't beat yourself up too much over it--some stuff is out of your control.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

KevinT

Postby KevinT » August 22nd, 2012, 5:51 pm

Thanks Kaufman. Didn't you help assemble David Roth's book on coin magic and Sol stones recently book?

Nice to see you here.

Again thanks for your advice.
All the best,
Kevin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 22nd, 2012, 7:07 pm

I wrote, illustrated, and published the Roth book many decades ago.

I commissioned the Sol Stone book, hired the writer, and took the photos of Sol's hands. Also edited the final text. But that Stone book was brought to fruition by David and Cassidy Alexander.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

KevinT

Postby KevinT » August 22nd, 2012, 7:48 pm

That's pretty awesome. Thanks for that. I ought to pick up stones book. I wonder if the reviewer for monster found the hidden cameo appearance of ponta....its interesting

Return to “Feature Articles”