Dai Vernon Article

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Ryan Matney

Re: Dai Vernon Article

Postby Ryan Matney » May 30th, 2006, 12:32 am

Mr. Ben,
Thanks for the reply. Look forward to reading your book soon!
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2006, 12:35 am

How does this discussion go from a guy pointing out facts (that are important enough for the writer to actually change the text in his book!) to folks trying to take shots at that person?

What a petty bunch.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 30th, 2006, 3:30 am

Mathtrix: I just want to clear one point up.

You made some conclusions about David Ben based on his writings that were wrong. You also concluded, based on my writings, that I would enjoy a math text. Another mistake.

In fact, I flunked every math course I took in high school and the the one I tried in university. As a result, I have a math text phobia and picking up a math text would probably result in a coma.

(I am familiar with the heads and tails thing you mention, an invention of Walter Penney, I believe. I explained it in one of my columns using a Debruijn Diagram -- but that was courtesy of Professor Robin Dawes.)

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2006, 8:16 am

Bob,
The information in the book I suggested is not the classis HTT HHT HHH analysis. It has to do with a lesser known quality of certain coins.

Terry

Postby Terry » May 30th, 2006, 9:06 am

How does this discussion go from a guy pointing out facts (that are important enough for the writer to actually change the text in his book!) to folks trying to take shots at that person?
The facts should have been forwarded to David Ben directly and not posted on a public forum with the appearance of trying to embarass David.

David could have then had Richard print a correction in the next Genii for all to know.

But, then, that would have been the correct way of handling the situation.

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2006, 9:30 am

If your information is distributed to the public at large (e.g. Genii readers, those interested in magic, Forum readers) then it is reasonable for questions about that information to be asked in the same or an equally public forum.

David Ben wrote that he had many people help him with proofing and editing. If one of those folks had spotted the uncredited source and had gone public before talking with David in private, that would have been inappropriate.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2006, 10:43 am

I think we're done now.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 30th, 2006, 1:10 pm

FYI: Mathtrix has excellent taste in hotels. :D

Return to “Feature Articles”