Name for a Magic bar?

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Todd Robbins

Re: Name for a Magic bar?

Postby Todd Robbins » February 3rd, 2003, 7:26 am

Okay, this is really cheesy, but what about the Hocus Pocus Pub. If you are really going for the shabby/chic feel this works as it sounds like a place that has been around for a gazillion years. If that doesn't please you, name it the Chat Room. That seemed to work for AOL.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » February 3rd, 2003, 5:48 pm

Originally posted by Chris Bailey:
Speaking of legal. I was talking to someone once and they wanted to have a coffee house that gave legal advice for free. It was going to be called "Legal Grounds". They never went through with it but all these years later I still remember the name. I thought it was pretty clever. I don't suppose a coffee house with magic would work. Most people aren't there to hang out ordering coffee after coffee. I WOULD be cool though.
There actually was a coffee house named "Legal Grounds"; I have a set of the stationary here somewhere. If memory serves, it was in or around Boston.

Also, Dallas, Texas had one, as did Chicago, IL.

It's a great name.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2003, 5:08 pm

How about "The Magic Pass Bar and Nightclub" :eek:

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2003, 9:54 pm

I don't suppose a coffee house with magic would work. Most people aren't there to hang out ordering coffee after coffee.
A few years back Joe Rindfleisch was kicking around the idea of doing exactly that. I don't know if the magic forum by the same name existed at the time but I suggested the name MagiCafe.(one word) I still think the coffee house is a great idea, but thats most likely due to my caffeine addiction. :D

Frank Tougas

Postby Frank Tougas » March 23rd, 2003, 7:19 am

I'm going to avoid being cutesy with a magic name and not suggest "The Torn Corner" and instead simply suggest calling it The Hideaway.

Then again it doesn't matter what you call it as long as the magic is good.

For a very brief time in the Minneapolis area we had a bar/restaraunt called Daddy's Money. It was fun but what I noticed was once the last show was completed - everybody left. So much for Daddy's Money.

I always felt the way the traffic is handled at the Magic Castle was genius - all roads lead back through the bar. Paying attention to this kind of detail will pay off as well.

Good luck

Frank
Worthiness is measured not by how much you chatter, but by how much you help another.

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 3:43 pm

Whit:
For subtlety's sake, it could be a wine bar, named "Marlo and Chardonnay."

:D

magicbar

Postby magicbar » March 23rd, 2003, 9:43 pm

Naming a bar must consider the location. What if Milt was cruising the desert and it was known as the Palmdale Magic Castle.
Sometimes the place could name itself. Perhaps there is a trademark visual in the building that you could name it after. Maybe the address could be used (i.e., 1313 Main St. The West End Tavern)

Great Clubs adapt to their neighborhoods.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » March 24th, 2003, 12:38 pm

I second Whit Haydns suggestion, "WITS END" - excellent name (works on a couple of levels). Other options that might mean something to the laity:

FOOLERS
THE PICKED POCKET
MERLINS
THE SECOND CARD (design logo to emulate, though not duplicate The Second Cup)

For magicians only:

FORGETFUL FREDDIES
THE DRUNKEN SHUFFLE
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Return to “Feature Articles”