Berglas interview

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Berglas interview

Postby NCMarsh » May 1st, 2007, 4:23 pm

An opinion is an opinion bro.... and everybody has one.... and each one of those opinions is as valid as the next one.
This is total bullsh*t.

I can have an opinion about what is making me sick, and my doctor can have a different opinion.

They are equally opinion so long as neither is a demonstrated truth. But they are not equal opinions.

My insurance will pay the doctor for coming to his opinion -- because it is based on years of rigorous training and years of practice -- but it will not pay me for mine.

Opinions are more or less valuable depending on the experience and thoughtfulness that underlie them. That is simple reality.

[edit: it looks like David and I were writing replies at nearly exactly the same time...I had not seen his comments when writing the above]

N.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 4:26 pm

Silverking - With all due respect, I tend to listen and agree with the opinion from someone that is highly educated and experienced on the subject matter (Doctor versus Graduate Student, etc.). Of course, this is just my opinion.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 5:11 pm

I appreciate that you're trying to put words in my mouth and imply that I was including folks like Doctors and Scientists in my statement but we ARE and WERE talking about a mentalist, not a guy who does open heart surgery or delivers babies.

There's no degree for mentalists yet

I see your obfuscation of the issue as a lame or last attempt at trying to stay on top of the conversation (to 'win' as it were) ,so I'll assume the general conversation is either over or winding down quickly.

When the swearing starts, the rational conversation is already over.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » May 1st, 2007, 5:34 pm

No, we're talking about a personal student of Frakson with decades of experience in front of live audiences!

Now, I know very little about "silverking," but -- unless you have similar experience and education -- your opinion is worth less than his when it comes to the value of a book to highly experienced performing professionals.

If training from one of the premier magical performers of the twentieth century and decades of experience do not qualify David to discuss the value of the book to an experienced professional -- than I cannot imagine what more would.

You want to argue that the book is essentially without value because it was without value to you.

David is pointing out that it has tremendous value to the audience for which it was intended.

Now, I never made it through a reading of the Berglas book cover-to-cover. I hopped and skipped through it and had mixed feelings. I came away with a number of different (and valuable!) lessons, but also felt like there was a lot of self-serving padding...I had received the book as a gift, and so I felt no disappointment whatsoever because it had cost me nothing...but I had the suspicion that I would have felt at least some disappointment had I been a paying customer...

But then I looked at the people who were talking about the value of the book -- David, Eric Mead (look up the original Genii review), and now John Carney...these guys have no finachial stake in the project and -- in any case -- i'm pretty sure that the book is out of print by now...

I know that, earlier on, there were a lot of books that I dismissed as not very valuable -- certainly not as valuable as the latest trick -- only to find, years later, that I just wasn't ready for them at the time...

I'm 24 years old and have been performing professionally for less than 4 years. When I was born, David Alexander had been earning his living from magic for quite a long while.

I find it very hard to say "John, David, and Eric; notwithstanding the thousands and thousands of hours that you have in front of paying audiences, I can judge that you are wrong and that this book -- which itself is the results of decades of experience and a highly successful career -- is not valuable."

I think that the sensible approach, instead of dismissing the thing and coming to the conclusion that the experts just aren't as clear sighted as you are, is to put the book on the shelf and to come back to it later in your career. That's the approach that I am taking.

I know that bullsh*t is a strong word, but I think it is entirely appropriate...

I am strongly "anti-expert" when it comes to issues that can be resolved through reason...and I think our culture and news media are overly dependent on self-proclaimed experts...but, what makes for effective magic is not something that you can ever come to through theory divorced from long experience...

I think that the honest thing is to acknowledge that, in magic, not all opinions are equal..

When there appears to be a consensus among experts (and I have yet to see anyone I consider to be an expert in this field disparage the Berglas book), I think a little bit of humility is in order when it comes to dismissing the value of the work of an expert.

Best,

N.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 5:41 pm

Silverking (whoever that is) wrote:
I appreciate that you're trying to put words in my mouth and imply that I was including folks like Doctors and Scientists in my statement but we ARE and WERE talking about a mentalist, not a guy who does open heart surgery or delivers babies.

There's no degree for mentalists yet

I see your obfuscation of the issue as a lame or last attempt at trying to stay on top of the conversation (to 'win' as it were) ,so I'll assume the general conversation is either over or winding down quickly.

When the swearing starts, the rational conversation is already over.

No, I didn't put words in your mouth...you didn't put enough words in your own mouth to clarify your own position, which you seem to be changing anyway.

True, there's no "degree" for mentalists, but since we have no idea who you are, what your stage experience is, we can't give any weight to your opinion as being informed or educated.

You didn't like the Berglas book, fine, but was it your shortcomings that caused your dislike or something that Britland and/or Berglas did or didn't do in the writing? You want to have an opinion, fine....you want to announce your opinion publicly, be prepared to defend it if others don't agree.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 5:42 pm

another thread lost.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 1st, 2007, 5:52 pm

Not lost yet.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 6:50 pm

No fish here David....try another pond.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 1st, 2007, 6:59 pm

Huh?

:confused:

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 7:14 pm

The idea that every opinion is as valid as the next one is ridiculous. No one whose opinion is worth a damn has ever said this.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 7:17 pm

While every opinion is valid for the person who holds it, not every opinion is useful to others.

Knowing the subjectivity of an opinion is what permits us to consider the source.

Wasn't there an old Roman quote about matters of taste being beyond dispute?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 1st, 2007, 7:28 pm

I do not with to opine on this. Pithy enough?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 7:31 pm

I just appreciate that Richard is able to document these type of interviews with the senior members of the art and giving them the credit due them.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 7:50 pm

If someone were to ask my opinion on how to go about doing mentalism well, I would say that he needed two books.

Corinda is the toolbox, and The Berglas book is the blueprint. Without a blueprint, the tools are worthless.

Whether or not you find value in the book........

............. depends on what you value.

To each his own.

carney

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 9:02 pm

David Alexander wrote:

Apparently I'm considered "petty" when I point out that not all opinions are equal and that some, because of experience and education, are worth more than others.
Actually David, I agree with your stance on opinions. What got me exercised was that you made an assumption about the merits of another poster's opinion based on what I characterized as a "rank assumption the poster doesn't know how to perform".

The use of the word petty was derived from the post of another thread contributor who used it to dismiss the worth of "silverking's" contribution - I was just flinging it back in his face.

Joe

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 9:28 pm

Boy, I don't know what I was thinking. I was looking at the problem in completely the wrong way. Thanks to those who clarified the 52 deck math. I was way off.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 10:21 pm

Now, I know very little about "silverking," but -- unless you have similar experience and education -- your opinion is worth less than his when it comes to the value of a book to highly experienced performing professionals.
Hmm, yes. But who's to decide on such matters?

In any case, following your logic, your opinions have no place here, since you claim you are only 24 years old. So why should anybody listen to the points you are making?

Joe

PS. I don't necessarily follow your logic. I'm just explicating it.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 10:36 pm

Thanks for a great article! I enjoyed it a great deal.

Even without being in the publishing business, I'm aware that a great deal of time and effort went into the Berglas article, which is particularly impressive since you have to put out an issue every month. It shows a real love for what you do. Thanks again.

I particularly liked the story about Gus Southall, a writer for a journal titled, "The Budget," where he accused David Berglas of using confederates. I laughed out loud when I read about their later encounter.

You did a great job of tracking his career from it's start to the present, with both prose and pictures. I have a special shelf for certain very highly-valued issues of Genii Magazine, and this issue will go on that shelf.

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » May 1st, 2007, 10:43 pm

Hmm, yes. But who's to decide on such matters?

In any case, following your logic, your opinions have no place here, since you claim you are only 24 years old. So why should anybody listen to the points you are making?
Joe,

You missed the boat completely.

The claim is not that silverking's opinion "has no place here."

The point is that his opinion of the Berglas book does not hold equal weight to that of experienced professionals.

Following that argument out, the conclusion is that yes -- as a 24 year old with only a few years as a professional performer -- my opinion should not carry the same weight as that of David Berglas, David Alexander, John Carney, Eric Mead, and their peers.

Silverking was very vocal about how "each one of those opinions is as valid as the next one." (emphasis mine)

Best,

N.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 10:47 pm

I'm sorry? When was it demonstrated that Alexander was superior to silverking? You say it like it's a fact that has been proven here in this thread.

This is all subjective... like opinions.

By the way, this is no slight on Alexander's abilities. I have no idea about those, just as I have no idea about silverking's abilities. That's the point I'm making.

Best,
Joe

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » May 1st, 2007, 11:45 pm

I'm sorry? When was it demonstrated that Alexander was superior to silverking? You say it like it's a fact that has been proven here in this thread.
No one has claimed that D.A. is "superior to silverking." If they had, I certainly would not have agreed with it (It's also so broad I am not sure exactly what that would mean).

Silverking said that the Berglas book was filled with "empty pages" and was not written for magicians and mentalists. Dismissing the value of a book that was the product of a life's work, and of -- I am sure -- hundreds of hours.

D.A. has said that the value of the book is not apparent without extensive performing experience. The sense of this was strongly seconded in Eric Mead's review in Genii where he referred to the ACAAN section as (and this is not a direct quote but a paraphrase from memory) "notes from one expert to another."

David Alexander has made his living from magic since -- at least -- the mid-1960's. He was a personal student of Frakson.

David has claimed that the most valuable lessons in the Berglas book are ones he was only ready to learn because of his experience.

Silverking found the book without value to him and from that projected that the book was without value (see the above post about empty pages and the book not being written for magicians and mentalists).

David's opinion is not about the value of the book simply, but of its value to experienced professional performers. This is a judgement he is clearly qualified to make.

Now, in contrast to David (who is very open about who he is and where he is from -- which allows us to put his opinions in context), silverking gives us only that he is in Canada.

If silverking has similar credentials, he has no reason not to share them. If he is a successful, highly experienced professional, than his opinion is relevant to the usefulness of the book to experienced professionals (to whom the book is clearly intended based on the statement in the front matter).

But if he isn't, and without a statement from him there is no reason to believe that he is, then what he has to say has little relevance to the narrow question of the value of the book to its intended audience.

Of course, if it is of value to experienced professionals, then the pages are hardly "empty" as he claims above.

this kind of thing has an unfortunate emotional edge to it. People don't like to think that there are lessons they may not be ready for...and I think get defensive because they think it is some kind of judgement of them...

It isn't. There is nothing wrong with being less experienced -- its all part of the ride...

In magic, for whatever reason, everyone wants to be seen as an expert...and so we have the young guy taking it upon himself to give out "magic's oscars"...

And so Silverking takes umbrage at the idea that he isn't in the intended audience for this book...If he is, again, he should be open about who he is and what his background is -- so that we can give the appropriate weight to what he has to say...

If he is not, what is so offensive about not being in the intended audience for a book?

People who are clearly experts -- Eric Mead and John Carney -- have talked publicly about how valuable the book is.

Silverking casually dismisses the book.

Casually dismisses years of Berglas' life and hard won experience laid out on a silver platter for the student.

Are Mead and Carney just not as perceptive as silverking to see that the emperor has no clothes?

Or is it possible, just possible, that there are lessons that he and I are not yet ready for?

I think the reason that I am so adamant about this kind of thing -- this "everybody-in-magic's-opinion-is-equally-valid -- is that there is an explosion of information out there...

With all the internet experts, and everybody with equally valid opinions, the student has no where to turn for qualified information...

I think we need to be honest as a community.

I think we need to be clear that the guys who have sweated for years to build successful careers -- the Denny Haneys, David Alexanders, Bob Sheets etc. etc. -- really are experts and their views, when it comes to learning effective magic for muggles, should be given greater weight than the views of some anonymous guy...

Alright, rant over...I'm headed to bed

Best,

N.

P.S. About my "claim" of being 24 (I have never before had anyone in an argument challenge my statement that I was young and inexperienced), you can take a gander at http://illusionartistry.com/bio.html for information about me. I think you'll clearly see a 24 year old dweeb at the very begining of his career.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 12:04 am

Hey. Who used up all the bold?

I think we need to be clear that the guys who have sweated for years to build successful careers -- the Denny Haneys, David Alexanders, Bob Sheets etc. etc. -- really are experts and their views, when it comes to learning effective magic for muggles, should be given greater weight than the views of some anonymous guy...
I think those people deserve our respect and they deserve to be listened to. But what they say should be assessed empirically and not accepted as received wisdom that automatically trumps anyone else.

That being said, when someone says, "I didn't like this book because there wasn't a lot of concrete information in it, it was mostly publicity" (or words to that effect) I think that is a valid comment. I am also happy to read a valid counter argument. However, for me, a "name magician" (any name magician) saying, "you just can't appreciate the value of what is not (?) being said in this book because you don't have my experience", is not a valid counter argument.

Also, and this is no reflection on any individual, but rather a general statement - which you may disagree with - just because a person is a "name magician" in the sense that they are a big fish in the small clique of magicians who are written about in magic magazines, it does not necessarily follow res ipsa loquitor that they are any more successful in the business of magic than a person who posts on a magic forum but has never been featured in any magic magazine. The fact is, we often cannot know the breadth of experience of most of the people on this board. So let's not assume, and let's not dismiss so cavalierly. I have NO idea about silverking, but his initial comments, to me, appeared to be rational and reasonably held, valid, opinions. I haven't seen any input from anyone subsequently that would make me think otherwise - although there seems to be a lot of emotion in slamming the guy.

Of course, if silverking chimes in and says he's a 12 year old, I may revise my views.

Best,

Joe E. Pike

PS. It's like the great New Yorker cartoon with two dogs sitting in front of as PC and one dog saying, "Nobody knows you're a dog on the Internet".

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 2nd, 2007, 12:27 am

If all goes as scheduled, the July issue of Genii will have a very clever* version of ACAAN in Magicana. Cant divulge from whom just yet; only the Chief Genii can do that.

Dustin
*Just his opinion: He could be wrong.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 1:45 am

Joe, I'm not 12, I'm 50 as of last October. I've been active in magic and a member of my local ring since the age of 21.

I'm not a professional because I only perform for kids in hospital and adults having mental illness .I've done these gigs for over 20 years and receive no pay for them, making me an amateur.

Presumably this amateur status makes my opinion somehow diminished and/or unwelcome as stated by the VERY SHORT list of professionals who take umberage at my comments on both the Britland book and Berglas's penchant for B.S. in his self-promotion.

Last point, I won't be bullied into giving my name and address on this or any other internet web forum. Lots of folks here on Genii and many more on the Green Pages know who I am, not that it matters in order to hold a conversaton.
Regarless, I won't debate the issue. It's just a personal choice.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 1:47 am

Holy [censored]. The 12 year old comment was a joke. You're like a drowning man lashing out at his saviour.

My apologies to David Alexander and the boy wizard. But mostly to myself for wasting 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

G'nite.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 4:32 am

Thanks to those who clarified the 52 deck math.
Hey, call it a good deed in the middle of this maelstrom over explicit discussions of methodology and motivation. ;)

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 2nd, 2007, 4:35 am

I can't imagine an article as interesting, well-researched and well-written in any other magic magazine.

And this isn't the first time -- Richard and Genii have continually produced some of the best magic reporting extant.

P.S. The only kings whose opinions I respect (because I know who they are): B.B. King, Albert King and Freddy King.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 5:25 am

I respect a lot Stephen King!
And myself: Crimsonking

Jokes apart, i think that if people who are in the businness like Mr.Carney and others say that the Britland book about Berglas is full of gold for professionals, i believe them.

I think that all people have the right to express an opinion,
but obviously the more competent, expert and well versed in the businness people are, the more weight their opinions got.
If a person is 30 years that study insects obviously they can recognize a lot of variety of different insects.
Their eye is more prepared and their knowledge more sharped.
Obviously Mr. Silverking has the right to distaste the book.

Personally i loved the Berglas book.
The only thing i'll never get satisfied with was the semi explanation of ACAAN.
I obviously am not expert like others,
but i think that various great tips were explained in that chapter,
but the core of the effect was left aside.
Maybe the expert in the field from that tips could rebuild the core and the effect.
But i think that also for them from that chapter something is concealed, not written.
It is only a partial reconstruction, where not all the clues were written down.
Like a great cooking receipit, an ingredient or two were left aside.
My curiosity is if other great cooks like Mr.Carney and others, could reconstruct those missing ingredients!
Or maybe the ingredients were only missing in front of my not expert and sharped eyes!

Crim

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2007, 7:54 am

More discussion on the Berglas interview is encouraged.
Further comparisons between posters in this thread is NOT.

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » May 2nd, 2007, 8:48 am

I think those people deserve our respect and they deserve to be listened to. But what they say should be assessed empirically and not accepted as received wisdom that automatically trumps anyone else.
The following is in a spirit of clarification rather than argument:

Just to be clear:

I have never said that anything should be "accepted as received wisdom that automatically trumps anyone else." That would be asinine.

Nor have I said that anyone should be faulted for disagreeing with anyone.

I entered this argument when the claim was made that all of the opinions carry equal weight. They don't -- that's the only point.

N.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2007, 8:59 am

It's true: all opinions do not carry equal weight.

Those posting under a pseudonym (as is their right) must operate under the disadvantage that, because we don't know who they are, their opinions automatically carry less weight. If a poster reveals himself to be, for example, Michael Ammar or Ricky Jay or anyone else who we know and can judge his or her abilities, then that person's opinions carry more weight. This is a basic paradox in the use of pseudonyms on the internet--yes, you can write anything you want and no one knows who you are. But you also don't get any credibility because no one knows who you are. You can't have it both ways.

Now, back to the subject at hand.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 2nd, 2007, 10:23 am

Guess I'll have to find a copy and read it. :confused:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 11:26 am

re
Guess I'll have to find a copy and read it
Some here might enjoy the short paragraph on the right of page 83. Others may be amused by the discussion on the left of page 47.

Thanks Richard. Fun article and also those items using the 3D glasses to enjoy. :)

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 2:16 pm

personally I loved this issue of genii.. it was one of the most enjoyable issues I've read for some time.. it provides a great insight into berglas, and brought back memories of his television appearences, especially the onesI think on the secret cabaret when he talked about the blind fold drive/object hunt round london for the chinese slipper..

I regretted not buying the britland book back in 2002.. and th issues urged me to try and get hold of a copy.. after many calls, and emails (thanks to those in the US who helped track down a copy) I managed to obtain one this evening.. ACAAN explained or not.. I'm buying it for the history, the insight and the potential hints at how to perform excellent magic, if it makes me think of something in a different way, it will have been worth the money and effort in getting it..

Thanks Richard for a great Genii this month.. I'd love to see some more like this covering a particular well respected performer..

well done!!

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 3:21 pm

I would like to weigh in on the pseudonym issue. In my own case, I would argue that it makes no difference what name I post under, since very few people would recognize my real name. Richard, I met you for the first time at the David Ben show in DC a few weeks ago. I have bought several books from you. Jim Riser may or may not remember that I have bought a few items from him. Denny Haney knows me, but he does not post here, nor as far as I can tell does he even read this forum.

Since I rarely perform in public, and have published none of my work, there is really no way for the vast majority of the forum participants to associate my real name or my face with any accomplishments that I may or may not have in magic. Forum participants can associate my pseudonym with the handful of posts that I have made here. Whether it's my real name or not, I'm just as unknown to everyone here.

Once several years ago Thomas Wayne was blathering on and on about the pseudonym issue. Previous to that I made a few posts endorsing his fine craftsmanship. After one of his more abrasive posts, I commented that since I have complimented his work under a pseudonym, I guess that means that my opinion of his work means less and that people should not pay any attention to me.

If well-know people post under pseudonyms, one could argue that they have something to hide. For those of us who are unknown, revealing our names adds nothing to the discussions. Feel free to disregard my opinion since it comes from a guy with a pseudonym whose real name also means nothing to you.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 3:32 pm

While your real name may or may not mean anything to some or all of us, you are known to someone as no one lives in a vacuum.

Youve mentioned two people I know and respect. Absent any personal knowledge of you, if one wants to carry it far enough, a simple phone call or email to someone I know and trust who verifies your bona fides is enough for me.

"Anonymous credibility" seems an oxymoron to me.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 4:19 pm

Back to ACAAN, frequently in my patter for revealing the named card at the chosen number, I actually claim that the odds are 52x52 to one against success, even though I know full well what the true odds are. Sometimes I will inflate the odds even more. Since I'm blatantly lying anyway, I may as well pile it on even deeper.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 4:40 pm

David, I really don't have anything to hide, but I don't have anything to prove either. I'm not selling anything. It makes no difference to me whether anyone pays any attention to my posts.

I wasn't trying to name-drop, but those guys I mentioned are the only forum participants I could think of that my real name would mean anything to. Denny's an old friend, and I'm probably his only customer in Hollywood, MD. Call him if you want, but you won't learn anything very interesting. I'm just a guy who has read a lot and practiced a lot for over 30 years.

I only made my comments because I find it amusing that everyone gets so worked up over this issue.

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 5:02 pm

N.B.: this is not a personal attack on silverking, ecphora, or any other forum participant.

Many reasons (both theoretical and practical) have been given on this forum to justify the use of pseudonyms, and there are merits (however slight, perhaps) to many of them. But lets not forget that the behavior of pseudonymous (or anonymous) social interaction on a mass scale is largely a byproduct of the internet.

Is there significance to the idea that people often select the least personal way of identifying themselves in a medium which is also the least personal? Or does such behavior occur simply because the technology permits it?

IMHO, those who stand on the principal that their ideas should stand or fall on the merits (and not on their identity) miss the point. And those who argue for personal safety (setting aside child safety issues) also seem to miss the point, or at least they seem to live by standards that are arguably rather incongruous: it seems obvious that ones personal safety is far more at risk in personal or telephonic interaction, where one would never dream of interacting anonymously or under an assumed name.

If I attended any sort of meeting, would I introduce myself as magicam? Of course not. If I telephoned somebody and hoped to have any sort of meaningful exchange, would I introduce myself as magicam? Never. If I wrote a letter (or e-mail) to somebody with the same hopes, would I sign my letter under the name magicam? No.

The best argument for the use of real names? Folks like to know who theyre interacting with. It's that simple. It is human nature and reflective of the fact that we are social creatures. And, really, its a matter of basic courtesy. Why is it that, on the internet, some of us choose to conduct ourselves in a manner that would, by universal social standards, be considered rude in any other type of social interaction?

Clay H. Shevlin

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2007, 5:18 pm

Someday I'd like to do an ACAAN. My problem is that when performing I seperate my "what to do" from my thinking as regards the "how to do" so memory / formula things are very tough for me.

Return to “Feature Articles”