Ideas for Future Articles

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Ideas for Future Articles

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2001, 10:49 am

Richard,
I'd mentioned in another place about a possible feature article on Hofzinser. Here's another name for consideration. Irv Weiner. Here's a man who, well into his later years, did something that was amazing. He spent most of his time entertaining college and university age audiences, and also was voted by those same audiences one of the most entertaining shows.
Just a thought.
Rick

Gary

Re: Ideas for Future Articles

Postby Gary » November 10th, 2001, 8:27 pm

Charlie Miller might not be a bad subject either.

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » December 2nd, 2001, 4:24 am

I think Persi Diaconis would also be a great subject, don't you think ?

Philippe Nol

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 2nd, 2001, 7:08 pm

I'm sure Persi Diaconis has more interest in a trip to the dentist for a triple root canal than having an article about him done in Genii.
Charlie Miller is a good idea--we're already working on it.
Already working on Hofzinser, too.
There is an unpublished Irv Weiner book that Anthony Brahams wanted an absurd amount of money for at least five years ago. Don't know who, if anyone, bought the manuscript.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Areeb Malik

Postby Areeb Malik » December 3rd, 2001, 12:21 pm

How about Henry Christ? Love that ace routine. He must have done more than just that! What about a book on his material?

Also, would an article on Norman Gilbreath be feasable? Was he a magician, a mathmatician, or both? His actual principles explained would be of interest. Tricks using his priciples normally just state, "Due to the Gilbreath principle..."

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » December 3rd, 2001, 12:40 pm

An article on Norman Gilbreath is an excellent idea, but he is an "is," not a "was," and can often be found in the Magic Castle library (in person), if any of my recent visits are an indication.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » December 3rd, 2001, 12:55 pm

Norman will be conducting some lectures at the Magic Castle, starting in January.

Areeb Malik

Postby Areeb Malik » December 3rd, 2001, 1:13 pm

I apologize profusly. Shows how much I know about the man!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 3rd, 2001, 9:19 pm

I believe Max Maven is currently writing a book about card tricks using The Gilbreath Principle, to be published by Hermetic Press.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2001, 11:51 pm

How about Chris Kenner? What did he do to hook-up with Copperfield? Kick Don Wayne's butt or something?

And Gary Ouellet seems due a cover. Who else do you know came from Queens' Counsel to magic's best kept secret (The Camirand Academy of Magic) to FFFF honoree to THE mind behind the magic on modern television to a MAJOR FORCE of Vegas/World quality stage/filmed productions? Please tell me.

Also Stephen Minch would be a great write-up. (Or did I miss that article?) He lives "in my neck of the woods", and I don't even know minch about him.

David Prouty

Postby David Prouty » December 10th, 2001, 9:37 am

I believe a feature on William Read Woodfield would also be an excellent topic, due to his tremendous input to Genii Magazine (and assisting editors with "Magicana"). Richard, You certainly have your work cut out for you. I look forward to any of your chosen features. Keep up the SUPERLATIVE work !

fredm

Postby fredm » December 10th, 2001, 7:31 pm

I would like to see a article on Frank Thompson.There is not much written about him.
Truely one of magic's mystery men.

Fred
Fred

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » December 17th, 2001, 12:29 pm

What I would love to see in Genii is this; an entire issue dealing with the Faro shuffle; tricks with it, some great Marlo stuff using the faro, an analysis of the mathematical principle,...and whatever else you can think about... Am I the only one? Keep on half-passing...
http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr1.htm
www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky

Gary

Postby Gary » December 17th, 2001, 10:00 pm

How about a wonderful issue on the incedible Del Ray, while he is still with us.........

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » December 18th, 2001, 7:29 pm

I second that, Gary, about Del Ray. We know he's very private...I wonder if he knows how much his fans want to hear from, and about, him.

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » December 19th, 2001, 1:37 pm

I would like to see an article about Jack Birnman. I can remember seeing him every year at the FFFF and he was a great person with outstanding original magic. Wasn't there supposed to be a large book of his material?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 19th, 2001, 6:32 pm

Spicer... Don't Minch your words...

I vote for a story on Del Ray for sure...

And little known master craftsman Bill Gussias.

Liek to see one pager bio's on folks...
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 31st, 2001, 2:28 pm

How about Losander? He knocked me out at the castle with his stage act, and yet, I had never heard of him before!

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » January 4th, 2002, 3:17 am

What about a special issue with interviews of magicians that appeared on TV and sharing their experiences?

Philippe Nol

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2002, 2:45 pm

Has anything ever been done on Henry Hay? His "Amateur Magician's Handbook" is certainly the best-written book in my piddling magic library, and I note that Mac King lists Hay's "Learn Magic" as big influence on his development. I'd love to learn more about him.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 8th, 2002, 1:06 am

Ralph,

David Meyer published an excellent article on Henry Hay (Burrows Mussey) in the April 2000 issue of "The Linking Ring".

Regards,

John

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2002, 11:22 am

Many thanks; I'll seek it out. (Burrows Mussey!?!)

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2002, 6:22 pm

I vote for Chris Kenner and Roy Walton

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » January 10th, 2002, 10:02 am

How about a Feature Article or entire issue of Lee Asher's work. He is definately one of a kind.

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » January 10th, 2002, 10:03 am

How about a Feature Article or entire issue of Lee Asher's work. He is definately one of a kind.

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2002, 9:39 pm

Someone else that comes to mind that I haven't seen anything on in a LOONNGG time. Fred Kaps!
Rick

Postby Guest » February 5th, 2002, 8:50 am

How about a piece on "real" street magic?

I'd love to see an in depth piece on Cellini, Gazzo, or some of the other kings of the wild frontier.

The stuff I've seen about Jeff Sheridan has always been great, but there are many other guys knocking out a living by drawing an edge and filling a flush hat.

For 2 weeks last summer I stood watching Gazzo ply his trade at anillegal "Guerrilla spot" here in Boston.

He did 4 or 5 tricks, every last one of them hoary standards played a million times to people all over the planet.

But, this guy was different, very different. Every single action had been honed by 15 or 20 shows a day, 5 or 6 days a week, 30 weeks a year, for about 20 years.

This was the guy who had a seal blow in his head while he worked a pitch. Everyone thought he was dead.

The guy I saw was anything but. People I talk to either love him or hate him but they all agree he is at the top of the pyramid as far as street workers go.

This sounds like quite a story to me, and I didn't even mention who he learned his punch work from. He was the only student of the steel gutiar playing card shark Walter Scott. Also known as the Phantom of the card table.

Hell, re-reading this Gazzo could probably sell his life story to Tom Hanks.

Return to “Feature Articles”