Jon Armstrong, My Hero

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Lisa Cousins

Jon Armstrong, My Hero

Postby Lisa Cousins » November 22nd, 2004, 11:39 am

There's certainly a refreshing friendliness in Jon Armstrong's "Superhero" theory of magic, and I'm glad he shared it. In the interest of magical consistency, it's a great idea to take stock of what powers one does and does not have. I also like the way a superhero stance changes the relationship between performer and audience by placing them both on the same side. And owing to the absence of a villain and a vulnerability from his formulation, I would say that Jon has simultaneously come up with a "Magical" theory of superhero.

Re: Jon Armstrong, My Hero

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2004, 12:13 pm

Lisa,
Yes, Jon's Superhero theory is very interesting. I see that you are in Albuqueque. I don't know if you have ever seen Jon in person, but he is a very skillful magician and one of the best currently performing at the Magic Castle.
I throughly enjoyed his very honest article in the Genii issue, and the treat on the Superhero piece.
Roger

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » November 22nd, 2004, 12:49 pm

Yes, I have seen Jon in person, but it honestly had nothing to do with me being in Albuquerque. I saw him at the World Magic Seminar, and I was among those who discussed him here after the event. I got into hot water for pointing out that performers in other fields never say "As you can see, I have way too much time on my hands" after a virtuoso display of skill. I had to explain that it was meant as an observation, not a criticism of Jon. Now that I know the inner workings of Jon so much better, I have a greater understanding of why this touch of self-effacement works for him: It's Clark Kent.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » November 26th, 2004, 4:10 pm

A very nice compliment coming from Wonder Woman ;)

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » December 1st, 2004, 9:10 am

Wonder Woman, you say? You must be thinking of my mother. Even as a little girl, I always knew in my heart that THERE was one suit I'd never be able to fill. ;)

Several years back my husband and sons and I were goofing off at the pool, and we dubbed ourselves The Federation of Superheroes and adopted the following identities: Captain Action, Captain Charms, Captain Merciful, and Captain Robot.

I was the third one. But since then I'm afraid I've morphed into Captain Crabby, or Captain Impatience, or perhaps Captain Get-Out-Of-My-Face. Oh, the ravages of time.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 1st, 2004, 9:57 am

So does this mean that you will not be tying me up with your golden lariat to make me tell the truth?

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » December 2nd, 2004, 9:15 am

Hey, I never go back on a promise, but the minute the truth is wrested from you I'm devoting the rest of my time in magic to carping on people's crediting lapses.

Jon's article really did make me stop and think about magical powers and my relation to same. I'd always characterized my magic persona as "glamorous goofball," and neither of those attributes would be likely to gain me admission to anyone's superheroical pantheon. I see myself as the conductress of the existing magic, not the source of it. I'm like a polarizing lens that brings what was invisible into visibility. So in terms of selecting magic to reflect this, there is really no limit to it, because I don't see it as coming from me in the first place. My choices all come down to what I feel is worth showing.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 3rd, 2004, 3:05 am

Originally posted by Lisa Cousins:
I'd always characterized my magic persona as "glamorous goofball," . . . I see myself as the conductress of the existing magic, not the source of it. . . . I don't see it as coming from me in the first place.
You underestimate yourself.

Matt Field

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » December 7th, 2004, 1:19 pm

Jon came to visit our IBM Ring 21 last week and performed a cards across effect. I spoke to him again at the Castle last night as I was waiting word on the fate of my audition to become a member.

As Jon's conversation has a habit of doing, the subject of comic books came up. He still seeks Batman Issue 1 (who doesn't!). He recommended Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. Just substitute the word magic instead of comics (okay, you might have to skip the part about artwork too). I've reserved my copy from Barnes & Noble. Sounds interesting.

p.s. if anyone's interested, I came very close to being accepted as a member last night. They want me to brush up on my performance and return in January. I've had second thoughts and haven't decided if I will or not. Frankly I didn't care for their audition procedure, or lack of it as the case may be.

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2004, 1:28 pm

Sam,
Congrats on the audition! It takes a lot of "youknowwhats" to even audition! I'm sure by January you will be awesome and The Castle will only hope you accept their offer to become a member.

Jon Armstrong

Postby Jon Armstrong » December 7th, 2004, 2:40 pm

Originally posted by Sam Kesler:

As Jon's conversation has a habit of doing, the subject of comic books came up. He still seeks Batman Issue 1 (who doesn't!).
It's really Detective Comics 27 ( again I'm a big geek) but yeah I really want it. Thanks for the kind words.

Jon

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » December 7th, 2004, 3:57 pm

Thanks for the support, Brent. Looking forward to seeing you at the big 20% off Magic Apple Christmas party on Saturday December 18th.

Return to “Feature Articles”