The Christian Thing to Do

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Re: The Christian Thing to Do

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 7:12 am

Just for completeness, here is Stan's "testimony" in this subject, from the November issue of Magic:

Richard Kaufman, editor of Genii, and I were equally surprised to discover that we both had "exclusive" Christian Chelman cover stories in October. In our case, author Joshua Jay asked Christian last November if he was working on a feature story with any other magazines, specifically Genii. The answer came back, "No!" So, we took him at his word and proceeded.

To Mr. De Ritis:

I did not mean to insult you, and I don't think I did. I also was not attempting to be humorous -- I was responding to what I felt was an insulting action on your part. However, I did consider the possibility that there was a language-based misunderstanding, so I mentioned that. I thought that was a reasonably gentlemanly thing to do.

Your English is quite good. Regardless, although the bottom of your post may indicate where you live, it does not indicate your experience with the English language.

By the way, the word "asinine" is not considered squalid -- just the opposite. Asinine is the proper and polite term for expressing what I felt. Which I still feel -- that you deliberately left out of your quote the part that answers the question you were asking me. To me this is an insult.

[edited to fix my misspelling of asinine -- pm]

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 7:34 am

Adjective

* S: (adj) asinine, fatuous, inane, mindless, vacuous (devoid of intelligence)

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 8:19 am

Thanks Bob -- I edited my posts to fix the spelling. I can see how this makes my comment look more insulting, so if that was part of the confusion to Mr. de Ritis or anyone else, I apologize.

I must say that although your dictionary definition is correct, I have almost never heard the word used quite that way. I've only ever heard it to describe something done with a certain level of juvenile meanness.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 26th, 2007, 8:30 am

Done with this now.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Feature Articles”