Tomohiro Maeda

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
John Pezzullo

Tomohiro Maeda

Postby John Pezzullo » March 25th, 2003, 3:49 am

Richard,

In the June 2002 issue of "Genii" you mentioned that an issue featuring Tomohiro Maeda was in the works. Do you have any idea when this issue is due to hit the presses?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Tomohiro Maeda

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 25th, 2003, 8:22 am

Very soon.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » March 26th, 2003, 9:19 pm

Who is he? I haven't heard of him.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 26th, 2003, 10:06 pm

Tomo is, and Max will surely correct me if I'm wrong, the first magician in Japan to make a living performing close-up magic professionally in restaurants.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2003, 12:46 am

Indeed Richard is correct about Tomo and I just saw him perform at the second annual Japan Cup here in Tokyo this past Sunday -- he was last year's Japan Cup winner.
This year's Japan Cup went to Shimada who returned to his homeland to accept the award. All in attendance were privileged to see a performance of his Parasol act. Beautiful.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » March 27th, 2003, 4:29 am

Who is he? I haven't heard of him.
From the May 2000 issue of "Genii":

"Tomo is one of Japan's finest professional close-up magicians, and the first magician to be employed by an established restaurant on a regular basis."

I'm certain that the forthcoming issue featuring Tomohiro-san will be another superb issue.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » March 27th, 2003, 3:36 pm

Five tricks by Tomo Maeda were published in Richard Kaufman's excellent "5x5 Japan" book.

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2003, 4:33 pm

I don't own a copy of 5 by 5 Japan, but I do own the new magic of Japan 1988. The young man in queston has a trick in there as well.I haven't opened that book in ten years, it's got some good stuff in it. Another book to go in the " Look at this book before I put it away pile " p.s. I got the April Genii near the end of last week. I loved it --it gets better -- keep up the good work

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2003, 4:22 pm

I got to see Tomohiro Maeda perform a few months ago at a Magic Circle Meeting here in Japan. It was the first time I had ever seen or heard of him. He was very good and entertaining.

The only thing that I didn't like was when he did his triumph routine using a Zarrow Shuffle. I thought the shuffle was very suspicious looking. (However, I don't know too many people who can do the Zarrow Shuffle deceptively.)

He also did a selected cards to box with a kicker which was excellent, a torn and restored card handling (which I believe was based on David Williamson's), and a version of "Dr. Daley's Last Trick" with a kicker ending.

He was very solid and entertaining.

K.C. Ushijima

Return to “Feature Articles”