Jay Inglee's Article

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Jay Inglee's Article

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2003, 10:58 am

I was fascinated by Jay's article, and "case discussions." As a fellow Jay (Jay Ungar) and medical professional (Internist) and magician (Ragnu the OK), I was wondering whether Jay has had any feedback from his professional peers about his incorporation of magic into his therapeutic approach. I would bet that some might consider it pushing the envelope. Personally, I thought it sounded right on target (if the shoe fits...). I frequently entertain my patients after the "business of the visit", not as part of the approach. A whole new avenue to explore - the blurring of the Magic-Medicine interface.

Todd Karr

Re: Jay Inglee's Article

Postby Todd Karr » June 4th, 2003, 11:30 am

Jay:

Positive response has already come in from a number of doctors who contacted me (as publisher of the upcoming Mystery School book, in which Jay's essay appears) about getting in touch with Jay to convey their applause for his work.

I think Jay's use of magic in family therapy is wonderful, and it's been an inspiration to me about the many ways magicians can do some good in the world.

We'd both be curious to hear how other health professionals have used magic with their patients...let us know!

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2003, 2:24 pm

Todd, I'm amazed by the number of Magician-Physicians ("Mazicians") at Magic conventions. At the most recent Hank Lee's there were at least 6 of us. Frequently we talk about how we incorporate magic into our work. I will 'routinely' show my patients a trick or two at the end of their visit (obviously, if appropriate) as the "whipped cream and cherry" part of the encounter. I think it has changed the dynamic of the usually "stiff" patient-physician relationship, and makes it more human. Some patients now come and want to rush thru the "medical stuff" so they can get to the fun part. I think as long as no one ever feels shortchanged "medically" it's a wonderful bonus for everyone involved.

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2003, 5:50 pm

I also work in the medical profession . I'm a Radiologic Technologist I fix radios. Joking aside I take x-rays at a busy "trauma " center and specialize in pediatrics. It's amazing how you can win over a childs confidence and get them to co-operate thru a long and tough study with the use of a thumb tip. I think magic and health care isn't any different than salesman or executives who entertain their clients or we our patients. What makes Jay's approach different is he's able to directly apply themetic elements of tricks and tie them in with the problems of his patients. Almost like the "Shaman" or "Witch Doctor" where life mirrors magic.
Amazing Richard

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2003, 7:25 am

Here in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, I know of two highly respected doctors that are also highly respected for their magic.

Personally, I have used it the other way. I have had a number of root canals in the last year. I was able to trade magic lessons for the root canal. Vernon's "Color Changing Deck" bought me a $1,080 rear root canal, and a simple cutting to the aces using nothing more complicated than double undercuts bought me a $800 front root canal. Each took maybe an hour of instruction and an hour of follow up, and also allowed me to book a bit of walkaround at her son's 12th birthday party.

Yesterday, I was performing my hack of ambitious card to a visitor to the store. An acquaintance, who is a world famous avian surgeon saw just the end, but also saw the amazement on the customers face. He offered me $20 to "Show it to me" I replied that there's no way I could teach it. he said "No, I just want to see you DO it", so I did a four card ambitious aces leading to a standard four phase ambitious card sequence for a $20 tip, and he'll probably end up buying an airplane from me.

So, it goes both ways. Performance of magic may help a patient connect with a doctor.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2003, 1:58 pm

The use of magic in the therapeutic setting goes back a long way.

I remember working in some of it in my psych internship at Henrotin Hospital in Chicago - worked miracles when I did a turn in the Emergency Room watching psych intakes! I used it on several occasions to distract someone from an injection and, on one occasion, a bone setting!

Several of the doctors who worked there wound up learning basic tricks (thumb tip, professor's nightmare, etc) and used them in their own practices to the best of my knowledge.

I've even used a magic trick or two as an induction for hypnosis when I did my show at the National Guild of Hypnotists Convention 2000.

BTW, I will be back there again this year (finances willing - we just busted an engine mount on one of the cars - which will eat into available cash flow, for sure!) doing magic at the Thursday night banquet.

For info on the convention, check www.ngh.net

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Return to “Feature Articles”