Hooker Article

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Robert Toomer

Re: Hooker Article

Postby Robert Toomer » March 30th, 2008, 11:51 am

Well said Chris!
Robert TOOMER

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 30th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Ed, your list consists of tricks that magicians like to concoct versions of, not those they are dying to watch.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 31st, 2008, 2:30 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Ed, your list consists of tricks that magicians like to concoct versions of, not those they are dying to watch.

With all possible respect - I feel there's some conflating the remarkable lack of access to watch this item in performance with any actual interest in the item itself. Were there a video to watch the two factors might get untangled over a few years.

To Carlo (* and others who make puzzles out of delights ) - it helps to learn more about stage and parlor magic just to be more rounded magician - and in that process perhaps to learn just how much audiences tend to enjoy ventriloquists more than conjurers ;)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 31st, 2008, 3:55 pm

The point is that there is purposefully no video, just the way Dr. Hooker kept his performances to a minimum and tended not to invite people back who had seen it recently. Hooker's Rising Cards has great psychological aspects to it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 31st, 2008, 4:15 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The point is that there is purposefully no video...has great psychological aspects to it.

It's a stage trick no layman has seen and remains a puzzlmenet for all who wish to ...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 31st, 2008, 4:18 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:The point is that there is purposefully no video...has great psychological aspects to it.

It's a stage trick no layman has seen and remains a puzzlmenet for all who wish to ...

Were there a video or regular performances - the novelty factor (or excuse to obsess over something unseen except at a distance and rarely if ever) would distangle from the intrinsic interest in the item itself.

On another thread the word "animation" was used and shunned - and here the "ventriloquist" reference will likely be ignored too. :) All the better IMHO

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » March 31st, 2008, 10:55 pm

That's right. All rumors of a secret video that was taken by a camera concealed backstage are false and not to be believed. There is no video.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 1st, 2008, 8:22 am

ixnay on the ipclay SB, you want it to wind up on YouTube?

Robert Toomer

Postby Robert Toomer » April 1st, 2008, 5:53 pm

Jonathan is right. I would love to see a dvd of the performance included with a Genii mag. but if it could end up on YouTube, or any where else on the internet then FORGET IT !!
Robert TOOMER

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 2nd, 2008, 12:21 pm

I'm having dinner with John Gaughan later this week, and I'll ask him "What would it take to do it in another city or state?"
Stay tooned.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 2nd, 2008, 1:17 pm

Robert Toomer wrote:Jonathan is right. I would love to see a dvd of the performance included with a Genii mag. but if it could end up on YouTube, or any where else on the internet then FORGET IT !!

What specifically about having a clip of such a wonderful (and wondrous) magical performance made publicly available bothers you so much? Surely that's exactly the sort of public impression that best serves our craft - no?

Pete- kindly pass on my thanks to JG and the gang for bringing the Hooker item into working condition and in general looking after the wonders left by those who proceeded us.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » April 4th, 2008, 8:38 pm

I would have liked the article to go into where and how they found the old props and what it was like to bring them back to life.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 4th, 2008, 10:40 pm

John said he hasn't really thought about doing it elsewhere (yet) but the door might be open to do so.. "IF"... I told him that there would progbably be a great demand if any thought it possible.
Stay tooned.

stingrayboy

Postby stingrayboy » April 6th, 2008, 10:32 am

Thanks Pete for asking...there is a great feature article on John in this month's "Make" magazine.

greg manwaring

Postby greg manwaring » April 8th, 2008, 6:05 am

Hi Pete, please pass on to John that London might be a great place to perform the Hooker card rise! All of us in Europe can make it there and the rich history of magic in London would lend itself for hosting such an event.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 9th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Richerd: No disrepect for you comment about travelling it... It did travel... from his shop to the Hotel Meeting room. In today's world, with the funding, you could travel it anywhere.
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 9th, 2008, 12:14 pm

Greg: Perhaps you could talk to the powers at the Magic Circle to contact John.
Stay tooned.

Green Skittle

Postby Green Skittle » April 9th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Never before has an article made me want to see a piece of magic as much as I do now. Part of me hopes we won't see another performance for decades, if at all, in order to keep up the mystery surrounding it. Part of me wishes I could be one of the lucky ones who got to see it.

Thank you.

Postby 777 » August 26th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Just like gerg i would love us Brits to have a look in reading it was like poetry.if we can have sig and roy without the animals why the hell cant we have a a riseing card.
as for being at the magic circle it would be great only if it had several performances and not over priced so the younger magicains could get a chance to see it.

Return to “Feature Articles”