Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
User avatar
Christopher1979
Posts: 158
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 10:46 am
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo
Location: Phoenix AZ

Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby Christopher1979 » February 1st, 2017, 6:01 pm

My area of interest is predominantly Gambling routines with cards, Stacking and Culling is a real interest to me. Although its impossible to note all sources i would be interested if some of you could give me a list of published material on the above. I really would like my library to be as extensive as possible in this field. I have all of Darwin Ortiz's books and many Karl Falves, Martin Nash too.. i really thrive on the complex stuff so any suggestions would be great!

Many thanks

User avatar
Richard Kaufman
Posts: 23820
Joined: July 18th, 2001, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand
Location: Washington DC
Contact:

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2017, 6:24 pm

Complete Works of Derek Dingle has some material in it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

User avatar
Christopher1979
Posts: 158
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 10:46 am
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo
Location: Phoenix AZ

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby Christopher1979 » February 1st, 2017, 6:38 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Complete Works of Derek Dingle has some material in it.


Thank you Richard, i already have it.

User avatar
lybrary
Posts: 776
Joined: March 31st, 2013, 4:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby lybrary » February 1st, 2017, 7:17 pm

Since you mentioned you thrive on complex stuff I suggest "Her Majesty the Magic of Cards" by Benedykt Krajdener. http://www.lybrary.com/her-majesty-the- ... 05766.html It is perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but it is an incredible powerful system once you have mastered it.
Lybrary.com https://www.lybrary.com/
preserving magic one book at a time

User avatar
Christopher1979
Posts: 158
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 10:46 am
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo
Location: Phoenix AZ

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby Christopher1979 » February 1st, 2017, 7:33 pm

lybrary wrote:Since you mentioned you thrive on complex stuff I suggest "Her Majesty the Magic of Cards" by Benedykt Krajdener. http://www.lybrary.com/her-majesty-the- ... 05766.html It is perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but it is an incredible powerful system once you have mastered it.


Thank you for that, it looks right up my street. Is it only available as PDF?

User avatar
lybrary
Posts: 776
Joined: March 31st, 2013, 4:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby lybrary » February 1st, 2017, 7:35 pm

Yes, sorry. Some of the best stuff is only available as ebook :-)
Lybrary.com https://www.lybrary.com/
preserving magic one book at a time

User avatar
Christopher1979
Posts: 158
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 10:46 am
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo
Location: Phoenix AZ

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby Christopher1979 » February 1st, 2017, 7:40 pm

lybrary wrote:Yes, sorry. Some of the best stuff is only available as ebook :-)


:D well a toast to my first ebook then.... it looks real compelling stuff! many thanks !

User avatar
erdnasephile
Posts: 3452
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby erdnasephile » February 2nd, 2017, 1:46 am

If challenging gambling routines are what you are after (and you're a Darwin fan), I'd suggest researching Andrew Wimhurst's stuff.

If you want very challenging magic effects, I'd suggest looking at Barry Price's material (which are 2 of the few books in my library that I honestly feel are above my pay grade) and/or some of Ernest Earick's work.

Then again, maybe Ray's Rise and the Anti-Faro would do the trick! ;)

Ian Kendall
Posts: 2325
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby Ian Kendall » February 2nd, 2017, 7:01 am

Arnold McDonald produced a number of technical books on culling and stacking a few years ago. I think some of them might still be available.

About 15 years or so ago there was someone who went by the name of Count VaDrey (seriously) who put out a couple of books on the subject.

Joseph Schmidt published a book on shuffle controls which might be of interest.

If you delve into magazines there's Major Dalby's Brag stack and Cannister Jury buried in print. Thanks to Zarrow is quite hard to find (and similar to the material in the Dingle book).

You might be able to track down a copy of Lance Caffery's Secrets of the Hindu Shuffle for another angle on stacking and culling.

Bob Iron's One Riffle Shuffle Stack might interest you, if you can find it.

User avatar
chriswahlers
Posts: 6
Joined: November 18th, 2016, 3:18 pm
Location: London, England
Contact:

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby chriswahlers » February 2nd, 2017, 8:27 am

lybrary wrote:Since you mentioned you thrive on complex stuff I suggest "Her Majesty the Magic of Cards" by Benedykt Krajdener. http://www.lybrary.com/her-majesty-the- ... 05766.html It is perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but it is an incredible powerful system once you have mastered it.


Chris, I love that! The idea of memorising 2,700 words to accomplish a card trick is the sort of monstrous thinking that you can't help but stop and marvel at.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one of Ondrej's Butterfly Decks in March.

What a time to be alive!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Christopher1979
Posts: 158
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 10:46 am
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo
Location: Phoenix AZ

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby Christopher1979 » February 2nd, 2017, 11:32 am

erdnasephile wrote:If challenging gambling routines are what you are after (and you're a Darwin fan), I'd suggest researching Andrew Wimhurst's stuff.

If you want very challenging magic effects, I'd suggest looking at Barry Price's material (which are 2 of the few books in my library that I honestly feel are above my pay grade) and/or some of Ernest Earick's work.

Then again, maybe Ray's Rise and the Anti-Faro would do the trick! ;)


Erdnasephile,

Thank you!, I got to the point where i could hit the Anti-Faro once every four/five times. I also worked out a "ok" routine with it. It was based on a routine that Paul wilson uses with the Anti-Faro however i didnt think the effect was strong enough to warrant using such a sleight. It sure is a cool sleight though and i should spend some more time on it!.

User avatar
Christopher1979
Posts: 158
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 10:46 am
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo
Location: Phoenix AZ

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby Christopher1979 » February 2nd, 2017, 11:35 am

Ian Kendall wrote:Arnold McDonald produced a number of technical books on culling and stacking a few years ago. I think some of them might still be available.

About 15 years or so ago there was someone who went by the name of Count VaDrey (seriously) who put out a couple of books on the subject.

Joseph Schmidt published a book on shuffle controls which might be of interest.

If you delve into magazines there's Major Dalby's Brag stack and Cannister Jury buried in print. Thanks to Zarrow is quite hard to find (and similar to the material in the Dingle book).

You might be able to track down a copy of Lance Caffery's Secrets of the Hindu Shuffle for another angle on stacking and culling.

Bob Iron's One Riffle Shuffle Stack might interest you, if you can find it.


Thank you very much for the info!, I have been trying to find Irons One Riffle Shuffle Stack booklet for a while without any luck.

webbmaster
Posts: 83
Joined: November 30th, 2016, 11:38 am
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby webbmaster » February 27th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Mickey MacDoughall has some interesting material in his book. Also, the Scarne book (on cards) has many items that, along with false shuffles and cuts, can be amazing demos. The best things I've seen are the Steve Forte tapes. I remember Darwin Ortiz telling a group of us how many hours he practiced on his riffle shuffle (table riffle) stacking. All I can say is that unless you are actually going to join a team of cheaters for real cheating, that many card magic 'tricks' can seem like demos of card control ability and then just adapt the patter to SEEM like you are culling and stacking.

Also, look up in Genii the article by Harold Cateque (Harold the Cat) I think, which I think was in the Bob Farmer column, but it is a stack for 21 or blackjack wherein you can false shuffle but the spectator can CUT ANYTIME and you always win or at least tie the spectator. It is really one of the most amazing stacks I ever saw. Also don't forget the Scarne book where there are stacks where the spectator can shuffle the deck and then you take out certain cards for a dealing demo and they are still in the required order as you take them out of the deck as you come to them (example; you take out all the hearts as you come to them, after the spectator shuffles) and they are still in the right order (stacked) for some card control demo. These things are valuable. You don't really want to cheat. You can get your fingers broken or killed, I've heard. You also aren't trying to TEACH the spectators how to REALLY cheat are you. Steve Forte is amazing at the REAL WORK but you need to cloak the demo in some interesting patter...the kind of which is also in the MacDoughall book. Maybe also look into Ricky Jay's style...he's not really cheating, he's telling stories about cheating along with good card tricks (MacDonald's Aces etc.) Regards, Gregg Webb

User avatar
Christopher1979
Posts: 158
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 10:46 am
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo
Location: Phoenix AZ

Re: Printed matter on Stack & Culling ect

Postby Christopher1979 » February 27th, 2017, 1:27 pm

webbmaster wrote:Mickey MacDoughall has some interesting material in his book. Also, the Scarne book (on cards) has many items that, along with false shuffles and cuts, can be amazing demos. The best things I've seen are the Steve Forte tapes. I remember Darwin Ortiz telling a group of us how many hours he practiced on his riffle shuffle (table riffle) stacking. All I can say is that unless you are actually going to join a team of cheaters for real cheating, that many card magic 'tricks' can seem like demos of card control ability and then just adapt the patter to SEEM like you are culling and stacking.

Also, look up in Genii the article by Harold Cateque (Harold the Cat) I think, which I think was in the Bob Farmer column, but it is a stack for 21 or blackjack wherein you can false shuffle but the spectator can CUT ANYTIME and you always win or at least tie the spectator. It is really one of the most amazing stacks I ever saw. Also don't forget the Scarne book where there are stacks where the spectator can shuffle the deck and then you take out certain cards for a dealing demo and they are still in the required order as you take them out of the deck as you come to them (example; you take out all the hearts as you come to them, after the spectator shuffles) and they are still in the right order (stacked) for some card control demo. These things are valuable. You don't really want to cheat. You can get your fingers broken or killed, I've heard. You also aren't trying to TEACH the spectators how to REALLY cheat are you. Steve Forte is amazing at the REAL WORK but you need to cloak the demo in some interesting patter...the kind of which is also in the MacDoughall book. Maybe also look into Ricky Jay's style...he's not really cheating, he's telling stories about cheating along with good card tricks (MacDonald's Aces etc.) Regards, Gregg Webb


Hi Gregg

Many thanks for your input!. No, of course im not wanting to actually cheat. I am aware of most of the material you speak of. I find stacking and culling very interesting. Actually Darwin Ortiz's under spread cull is great for stacking the cards quickly after the spectator returns a shuffled deck to you. Using that with Tabled Faros can be very powerful to bring up the desired hands you wish. I will look into the Harold Cateque article you speak of. Sounds very interesting, Many thanks!

Regards

Chris


Return to “Reference Room”