The Expert at the Card Table (Erdanse a family tree)

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

The Expert at the Card Table (Erdanse a family tree)

Postby Christopher1979 » January 29th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Hello all,

I have took the liberty of starting a new thread regarding Erdanse. I realise the topic has been spoke about a million and one times but my slant might be slightly different.

I am interested in knowing about the "family tree" of The Expert at the card table meaning... if we was to lay out each sleight published in this book what would a "family tree" type diagram of the history of each sleight leading up to the publication of this historic book look like. I think it would be wonderful to map out the history of each sleight in such a way!
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Jonathan Townsend

Re: The Expert at the Card Table (Erdanse a family tree)

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 29th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Are you asking about a timeline of sleights and strategies discussed in print prior to 1901?

May have to start by itemizing those in the erdnase text. Dennis Behr's site and the Conjuring Arts Resource Center may be able to help you once you start listing the items. There's been some comment already that at least one known sleight/strategy was omitted from the book - so the general process may be helpful.

If you continue after 1901 you're find much about coolers, juice, punches and false shuffles. :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Mullins

Re: The Expert at the Card Table (Erdanse a family tree)

Postby Bill Mullins » January 29th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Response here.

There's no need to start a new thread -- the existing one will do fine.

Return to “Reference Room”