Passover Friendly Magic tricks?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Passover Friendly Magic tricks?

Postby MaxNY » April 18th, 2016, 11:12 am

I have been booked for two Passover gigs, with "religious sensitivities." OK, so here are some guidelines, (please help clarify or add to this list) Nothing Created, nothing destroyed. Example no torn and restored newspaper, you can not destroy a paper. Also No writing numbers on envelopes, no writing at all, unless maybe a dry erase? No Music, or fire. I think, no real money, (could be wrong about that.) So that limits me to?????? And...GO!

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: Passover Friendly Magic tricks?

Postby Ted M » April 18th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Troublewit!

Rings.

Card locations. Many, many card locations...

How's your cardistry??

performer

Postby performer » April 18th, 2016, 12:41 pm

I didn't even know it was Passover and I am Jewish. Just shows how much I care about that kind of thing.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 18th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Sponge Balls

Close-Up Linking Rings

Tenyo's "4 Nightmares DX" rope routine (no cutting)

Card tricks!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » April 18th, 2016, 3:45 pm

I would have no idea what to do either! I do have a tip though. I think it would be a very good thing to refrain from gospel magic.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » April 18th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Just make sure that whatever you do is a mitzvah. Oy!

How about...

* color changing matzoh
* vanishing latkas
* make a tsimas in a dove pan
* multiplying macaroons

Be a nice boy and do that...

AJM

Postby AJM » April 18th, 2016, 5:24 pm

Scotland's most famous poet was Jewish - Rabbi Burns

performer

Postby performer » April 18th, 2016, 5:41 pm

AJM wrote:Scotland's most famous poet was Jewish - Rabbi Burns

No, he wasn't. I have studied Robert Burns and know all about him. However, if you want proof here is his grace before meals. It doesn't sound too kosher to me.

"Some hae meat and canna eat
And some wad eat that want it
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thankit"

You will never hear a rabbi saying that..............................

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » April 18th, 2016, 5:54 pm

These masks I bought were a huge hit with my 8 and 10-year old nephew and nieces last Passover. Not so much with their parents though.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » April 19th, 2016, 12:51 am

Easy answer.

One trick. One trick only.

Pour wine into Elijah's cup. Place cup on table. Say prayer. Open door. Show cup empty.

Everyone in attendance will " get it".

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » April 19th, 2016, 1:05 am

Here is what I have planned.

Feather (Ostrich) to Cane, Split Fans, W/ Blair's Best (diminishing cards), What's Next, Chinese sticks with fez ending, Hippity Hop Rabbits, Professor's Nightmare, Invisible Deck, Split deck, Rice Bowls with Hat Coil, and flowers, Rock from Shoe, Crystal Silk Cylinder W/ Fruit Load, Metamorphic Spots, Coloring Book, Run-Rabbit-Run.

performer

Postby performer » April 19th, 2016, 8:55 am

MaxNY wrote:Here is what I have planned.

Feather (Ostrich) to Cane, Split Fans, W/ Blair's Best (diminishing cards), What's Next, Chinese sticks with fez ending, Hippity Hop Rabbits, Professor's Nightmare, Invisible Deck, Split deck, Rice Bowls with Hat Coil, and flowers, Rock from Shoe, Crystal Silk Cylinder W/ Fruit Load, Metamorphic Spots, Coloring Book, Run-Rabbit-Run.

Oh, is this a kid show? It sounds like it! In that case you can do almost anything! The parents won't even notice. They will be too busy blabbing and ignoring the show and spoiling it for the kids to notice if you are doing something "insensitive". Jewish parents are terrible for this. They will chatter endlessly or if there is food around you will be completely ignored. I once tried to get the organisers to stop serving food while the show was on and all I got was, "If Jewish people have to choose between a magic show and food they will choose the food"

I was tempted to reply, "When they circumsised you they threw the wrong piece away" but I managed to refrain somehow.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » April 19th, 2016, 9:29 am

Wow, performer, wow!

I have done hundreds of magic shows for children including the Jewish variety and it was the parents I felt I needed to entertain even more than the children. If the parents enjoyed the show, I would get more bookings.

I never had the experience you describe! Not even once. My show either came before the food or after but never during. The parents typically stand behind the seated children and watch the show. No talking, no eating.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » April 19th, 2016, 10:04 am

Man, this is a tough room.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 19th, 2016, 10:59 am

Non-Passover-Friendly magic tricks:

Pig Zag
Water into Swine
Lubor Fiedler's trick with Dental Ham

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 19th, 2016, 11:35 am

If it was a bris instead of passover, you could do Ding Dong.

performer

Postby performer » April 19th, 2016, 11:50 am

I.M. Magician wrote:Wow, performer, wow!

I have done hundreds of magic shows for children including the Jewish variety and it was the parents I felt I needed to entertain even more than the children. If the parents enjoyed the show, I would get more bookings.

I never had the experience you describe! Not even once. My show either came before the food or after but never during. The parents typically stand behind the seated children and watch the show. No talking, no eating.

You would have had the same trouble as me. I guarantee it. It was a buffet arrangement and there was nowhere else to do the show otherwise I would have taken the kids into a different room. The parents were wandering about making a confounded noise and none of them were seated. Only the kids were seated and the parents ruined it for them. I had exactly the same experience last year at a Jewish event but without the food element this time. I said nothing but later the booker apologised for the parents.

My philosophy regarding kid shows is to entertain the parents BY entertaining the kids! Always ignore the adults and concentrate on the children is my advice. The parents will come along for the ride. I feel that it is a common mistake for a magician who is booked to entertain CHILDREN to pander to the adults. I don't do "family" shows. It is a mistake particularly prevalent in North America. I do CHILDREN'S shows and I do them very well. But I DO entertain the adults BY entertaining the kids.

Dougini
Favorite Magician: There are too many

Re: Passover Friendly...?

Postby Dougini » April 19th, 2016, 7:25 pm

performer wrote:...all I got was, "If Jewish people have to choose between a magic show and food they will choose the food"

I was tempted to reply, "When they circumcised you they threw the wrong piece away" but I managed to refrain somehow.

ROFLMFAO!!!

OMG! Damn it. I ought to know better than be drinking something and read Mark's posts! I just blew out a mouthful of lemonade, just missing my laptop! Came out my nose...UGH! Then I laughed myself hoarse. That is the funniest thing I have seen in a LONG time! Classic! I miss my Jewish friends SO much! Exactly their kind of humor! Mark, you're the BEST! :lol:

Doug

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » April 20th, 2016, 11:17 am

MaxNY wrote:Man, this is a tough room.

If you are referring to doing magic shows for children, it doesn't have be tough. May I suggest that you go over things with the person who hires you BEFORE the day of the show. Suggest what would work best. Never assume that the one hiring you knows when you should do your show. Help them to coordinate the day's activities. I think you will find that they will appreciate your suggestions rather than resent it.

Hope that helps and break a leg!

performer

Postby performer » April 20th, 2016, 11:23 am

I think he was referring to THIS room. The genii forum itself. And yes, it is indeed a good thing to discuss your requirements ahead with the booker. Alas the booker is sometimes an agent and they deliberately don't discuss things with the client because (a) they can't be bothered (b) they don't want to upset the booker (c) they forget.

And they don't always want you to speak to the client direct.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » April 20th, 2016, 11:30 am

Oh, THIS room! I find it to be warm and cushy. Don't you?

performer

Postby performer » April 20th, 2016, 12:34 pm

I find it very spiritual. Just like a very, very, very quiet monastery where nothing very much happens.

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » April 20th, 2016, 3:06 pm

performer

Postby performer » April 20th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Bloody hell! Jewish gospel magic! I have heard everything now!

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 20th, 2016, 5:59 pm

MaxNY wrote:Nothing Created, nothing destroyed. Example no torn and restored newspaper, you can not destroy a paper.

I am not conversant with the particular sensitivities of various religions, so I find this fascinating.

I am picturing a crowd of people laughing and having a good time watching your performance, at which point you proceed to tear a newspaper in half. A hush falls over the crowd. Total silence. Crickets chirping. I see the faces of people wincing as you proceed to further tear the hapless paper into quarters. A murmur begins to make it's way through the stunned crowd as you continue with your egregious faux pas, tearing the doomed paper into eighths.

Is that the way it would go, or would it be more likely that no one would take notice of your transgression, or if they did, be bothered by it.

It is after all, just a magic trick.

I think the torn & restored newspaper may be the perfect trick for these circumstances. Upon your realization that the tearing of the newspaper is in fact an affront to the religious sensibilities of the assembled crowd (you could arrange to have this pointed out to you by someone, perhaps a rabbi) you then proceed to magically restore the pieces. Everything is as it was. All wrong is righted.

The crickets' chirps are drowned out by the thunderous applause.

Well maybe not thunderous.

It is after all, just a magic trick.

performer

Postby performer » April 20th, 2016, 6:12 pm

I think I remember that you are not supposed to tear a newspaper on the Sabbath. I didn't know about passover. You are certainly not allowed to burn anything on the Sabbath. It is considered work and the Bible says that you are not allowed to work on the Sabbath. Bad luck if you happen to be a Jewish kid show entertainer of course. Especially if you do the torn and restored newspaper trick.

Years ago in Britain there was the Sunday Trading act and you were not supposed to sell anything on Sunday. They even used to have inspectors touring exhibitions, fairs and consumer shows to make sure people were complying. Stands were allowed to display stuff but not sell anything. However, by law they had to notify the promoters of the show that they were there to inspect the place. So naturally a secret signal was arranged by the promoters to notify the vendors that the inspectors were about. This was done by playing a certain tune of music over the sound system. I still remember all those years ago following some inspector around the place until he left the premises. When he left a different tune was played to notify everyone he was gone.

However, there was an exemption to the law which was that if you were Jewish you WERE allowed to sell things on Sunday provided you did not sell them on Saturday! Naturally you had to have some kind of proof you were Jewish! I was astounded at the number of gentile grafters who suddenly became Jewish! Or should I say pretended to be! They actually applied for the certificate from the rabbinical authority under false pretences!

Those were the days...................................

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 21st, 2016, 5:59 am

This thread is now locked. Max, I hope you got what you needed out of it.

Return to “Reference Room”