Source for this peek

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Philippe Billot

Source for this peek

Postby Philippe Billot » November 23rd, 2015, 6:54 am

Who had the idea to write the name of the card on the back of the card which follows so that you know the card peeks by the spectator after a riffle peek? (In view of my english, I hope my explanation is understandable!)
I would like the first reference if it's possible.
Thank in advance.

Russ
Favorite Magician: Those that know the art well

Re: Source for this peek

Postby Russ » November 23rd, 2015, 6:44 pm

Hello Philippe,
This question also came up here in 2008. Please seek information on Dr. Franklin v. Taylor, The Phoenix and also; " My Best" by J.G. Thompson, jr. Page 111. Hope that helps. Wishing all will be well in Paris.

Best to you,
Russ "Raven" Polizzi
Russ Polizzi

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 23rd, 2015, 8:44 pm

Franklin's innovation was the "Peek Deck", in which 26 pairs of cards are glued together at the bottoms. The rear card is shortened, and the front card has written on its back the name of the rear card. So when a spectator peeks by riffling (pulling) a corner of the deck. When he stops, he sees a card, and the magician sees the name of the card.

Deland had marked stacked decks in which you could tell, via markings, the name of one card from the back of a card in front of it, I think (but Richard Kaufman would be a better person to ask).

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 24th, 2015, 2:48 am

OK. Thanks a lot for these informations.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 24th, 2015, 10:51 am

The Peek Deck is identical to Ford Rogers' "Ever Ready Forcing Deck" with one addition: the names of the cards have been written on the back of the first card of each pair (which is pretty clever).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » November 24th, 2015, 1:02 pm

The original poster seems to be interested in a historical point, but if someone is interested in "peek" decks. I would like to mention the S.U.M. deck by Phoenix. The cards are made in such a way that each card and the card above it can be read from the back of a single card. In other words, if I am looking at the back of the Queen of Hearts, I would know it is the QH and also know the card above it in the deck. Yes, the order of the deck must be maintained.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 24th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Yes Bill, that's what Bill Mullins made reference: The DeLand's Dollar Deck marketed in 1913 in which each card has two marks, its name and the name of the card above.
Thank for your help just as Richard help.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 24th, 2015, 6:03 pm

The Dollar Deck came out in March or April of 1914.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 25th, 2015, 1:50 am

Damned! Shame on me!

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 25th, 2015, 7:51 am

Philippe:

For an interesting use of this principle send me a note Trickmail@cogeco.ca

Anyone else is also invited.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 25th, 2015, 10:36 am

Done.

Thank in advance

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 25th, 2015, 11:50 am

There was also a deck where the backs of the cards preceding the ones behind each one had a REFLECTING SURFACE (such as Mylar).

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 25th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Also….

I looked through my notes on this subject, noting a reference to Marlo’s “Mirror-Peek Deck” that did not use mirrors but used instead a regular deck arranged in Stay-Stack, plus a half pass, followed by a very fine Incomplete Faro. This was published in his essay on The Roughed Stripper that ran in The Gen (1959). A similar idea was posted in Faro Controlled Miracles (1964), using “Reversed Mnemonics” in conjunction with faro shuffles. Paul Swinford had some applications on Marlo’s former approach in More Faro Fantasy (1971).

In the 50s dealers advertised Joe Berg’s Mirro-Peek Deck. Then there was Roy Johnson’s “S.U.M.” peek deck that had two markings—the card itself and the one preceding it.

In my “Inside Out” column (2000) I published Danny Archer’s “Easy Epic” which applied the peek idea of Taylor’s to a book test. Orville Meyer, Paul Curry. Danny Tong, and Larry Becker also applied the same idea.

Readers might want to also check out Hideo Kato’s “Spy Deck” that was published in MUM (September-2007).

Paul Gordon likewise had some work on this type of deck called “Twin Peeks” that was recorded in Card Magic Miracles (2001)

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 25th, 2015, 5:32 pm

Thank Jon.

The impromptu Peek Deck in The Gen, Vol 15 no 3, July 1959, is ingenious

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » November 26th, 2015, 2:22 am

Just to clarify the chronology, Dan Tong developed his book test using this methodology in the 1950s or early 1960s. It was eventually published in the New Jinx; I believe the title was "Teletact."

Related work appeared in the Linking Ring in the 1950s, by Charles Miller (not Charlie; I think this one had the middle initial H).

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 26th, 2015, 5:27 am

Thank Max.

Tele Tact is in New Jinx, vol 01, no 11, March 1963, page 45

and Charles H. Miller trick entitled This and That is in Linking Ring, Vol. 50, no 10, Oct 1970, page 60

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Postby mr_goat » November 26th, 2015, 5:51 am

Andy Nyman's The Code also uses this 2 card mark idea, with the deck in Mmnmnonica sequence and also adds a number to the marking so you can instantly see (say) 11 cards have been cut off the deck, as well as knowing the bottom card of the cut off packet.

It's fun.
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

Return to “Reference Room”