Jeremy Weiss' ACAAN

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Inquisitive
Favorite Magician: David Berglas

Re: Jeremy Weiss' ACAAN

Postby Inquisitive » September 12th, 2015, 5:26 pm

@Richard,

I am not proud at all for all the magic (which is literally 'all' of it) I have gotten for free over the 5 years I have been in magic. But, what can one do when he has no money to buy magic himself, and to make matters worse- his parents won't even buy him magic? In this case, I had no option but to find ways to get magic for free (forums, YouTube, torrents, etc.). However, now I am almost an adult, so I am currently in the process of finding a job. When I find a job (which will be very soon hopefully), then I can and *will* start buying magic (instead of finding ways to get magic for free). That is the plan.

@Performer,

I'd love to visit you (and even Paul) since you guys are quite close to me, however unfortunately my parents will not approve of that. The reason being, they are against magic (for some reasons). That is the reason they don't buy magic for me, and if they are unwilling to buy me magic, they would never allow me to visit magicians (like yourself and Paul). And, since we are strangers (in the sense that we haven't met each other in real life), that would give my parents more reason to not let me visit you. I'd also be interested in joining that magic club, but again, my parents will not allow such a thing to happen. Since I am a minor (under 18) I am dependent on my parents for the most part, so I have to live by their rules. Plus, I don't have my full driver's license right now anyways, so I will be unable to visit you by myself.

Now speaking of the library, I have been to libraries close by to me, and I have already read most of the magic material there that interested me. You are right when you say that magic material in libraries are limited.

The one book you mentioned-RRCM-I have owned that in the past, and not much interested me in it. There were only about 3 tricks in there that I took interest in. Actually, 1 of the tricks in RRCM called "The Three Piles" lead to a genius card trick. When I say 'lead to', I mean that someone used "The Three Piles" to create a similar effect (with only some differences). The effect (based on "The Three Piles") that was created is called "Devastation by Geoff Williams." That trick is an absolute killer. But, it got even better, because someone took "Devastation" to create another similar effect. This other effect is called "4,5,6 Packet Trick by Sal Piacente." I would say this is one of the best impromptu card tricks ever. It is mind reading at its best with a borrowed, shuffled deck of cards. I actually had one problem with "4,5,6 Packet Trick" so I changed one part of the trick up (actually someone on another magic forum recommended this change, so credit goes to him), and now it is the best trick I know. I have played around with "4,5,6 Packet Trick" (the version with the 'change') in terms of combining it with another trick, and the combination creates the best routine I know. If you'd like, I can share this all with you.

I have looked at Harry Lorayne's books as well in the past (not the one you mentioned however), and I have found some material from his books that interested me. I absolutely love his "Out of This Universe." It is the best OOTW variation that I know of. Some other tricks of his are really good as well, such as his "Amazing Prediction."

I've never had much luck in terms of performing for others. All of that is my fault. I've always had this attitude in the past- for example, I would learn an amazing trick one day, and I would be so excited to show it to others that I would literally run the next day (without much practice at all) to show it to people. And you can imagine what would happen: I would mess up in some way (whether that is an issue in the methodology of the effect, or the presentation of it). Another thing that discourages me in terms of performing for others is that I never got the reactions I wanted out of my spectators. There are probably like 2 times (in my 5 years of being in magic) where I got a jaw-dropping reaction from my spectators. Now, that may be the problem in the actual effect itself, as in the effect is not very good, or that may be the problem in my presentation of the effect. Sometimes, I'd learn a trick that's amazing, and I'd think to myself that this would definitely blow people away, but the reactions would be quite underwhelming (not at all how I had imagined them to be). All of this discourages me in terms of actually performing magic for people. The fault could be in the tricks (they may not be very good); the fault could be in me (I may not be a very good performer); or something else. Whatever it is, it discourages me. I'll take your advice and actually start to practice (A LOT) each effect I intend to perform. I guess practicing until perfection will pay off in the end (at least I hope it does).

About your third method, I understand you don't want to share it with me, and I respect that. I'm just wondering one thing though- does it work 100% of the time? I don't perform effects that don't work 100% of the time anyways, so if that's the case here, then I probably won't be performing it. You talked about me impressing you. Well since I can't visit you, I can't do that in person. But, I can certainly share some stuff with you on here. I'd love to share "4,5,6 Packet Trick by Sal Piacente" (the version with the 'change') with you. And, even more, I'd love to share the routine with you that combines "4,5,6 Packet Trick" with another effect to create the most powerful effect/routine that I know of.

Completely off-topic, I had a question for you- did you ever meet the magician/mentalist "Thomas Baxter"? He used to live in this area (in Oakville) about 1-2 years ago. 1-2 years ago he moved to Vancouver, BC, so he isn't here anymore. I'm sure you've met him. If you did, did you ever get the chance to see his unpublished version of "51 Faces North" (Open Prediction)? Apparently, just like Jeremy Weiss's ACAAN (which is probably a hoax), this is the perfect version of Open Prediction effects. But, Thomas Baxter's effect is true, because he's performed it for many magicians and mentalists over the years. When he used to live in this area, he used to perform it for magicians in the Toronto area all the time. I unfortunately did not get to see his effect, since he moved away before I ever could. So, I'm just wondering if you ever got to see it.

-Inquisitive

performer

Postby performer » September 12th, 2015, 8:45 pm

Oh my God! This is awful! You really need to talk to me to improve your magic. I can't bear reading what you wrote. None of it is your fault. You badly need guidance. I can teach you very easily to get the reaction you crave. I really can. You must not be discouraged. You are floundering about trying to figure out what to do and I feel your pain.

I am too tired to advise you right now. Just remember this for the moment and it may well be the most important lesson you will learn in magic. The trick isn't really that important. The greatest mentalist of them all, Joseph Dunninger said, "Anything will do. Nail through finger will suffice if you have some way of magnetising and hypnotising that audience". In other words it is the showmanship, presentation, patter and psychological ploys that will make you a good magician rather than learning the latest trick.

Forget the tricks. Virtually anything will do providing it is not overcomplicated and something that does not suit your personality. Avoid an over abundance of finger flinging.

The first thing you need to do is somehow obtain an old book of donkey's years ago called Expert Card Technique. Ignore all the tricks and moves in it for the moment. They are not important. What is important is that you read the back section on PRESENTATION. It is the most valuable information on this subject you will ever read. And you will have an advantage over almost any other magician as I have never come across anyone who has read the bloody thing except me.

The attitude of your parents give me great pain. It must be very difficult for you. Are they religious? Is this the reason they don't want you doing magic? Do they think it is witchcraft or something? Why do they discourage it?

Despite what I said earlier about drowning all the teenage brats that do magic in Lake Ontario the facts are that it is a marvellous hobby for a young person. It builds self esteem and confidence. It stimulates the intellect and helps you communicate. It will help you to speak to a large group in public and this can be very useful to you in your future life. I can think of far worse activities for a teenager to be involved in.

If your parents are not freaked out by magic for religious reasons (and may God help me psychic readings may even have a worse effect on them) persuade them to come to the flea market and meet me.Come with them of course. I will make them laugh and charm them and will persuade them what a wonderful activity magic will be for you.

Yes. I know Thomas Baxter very well and Paul knows him even better. He would be most displeased with your parents and I can just see him tut-tutting over the matter in great indignation. He considers magic to be a very honourable profession and takes it very seriously indeed. He considers me to be the devil incarnate and I consider him to be an old misery but we both have one thing in common. We both consider magic to be an art form and something to be honoured and not despised.

When I first emigrated to this dreadful fridge of a country to scandalise and deprive the great Canadian public of their money I was informed by the immigration officer that "You will be an asset to the country. Magic is an ancient and honourable art and is the sort of thing that Canada appreciates"

If it is good enough for the Canadian government it should be good enough for your parents. They need to lighten up a little.

When I am in the mood I will be reprimanding you severely over your attitude to the Royal Road to Card Magic. I am in great horror over the way you have been "studying" it. I am too traumatised to comment. Eventually I will. Beware.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » September 13th, 2015, 12:48 am

How can a 17-year old be in the position of never having any money? My siblings and I delivered newspapers at the age of 12 and had assorted odd jobs throughout our teen years before finding careers after college.

And what about birthdays, holidays, special events, etc.? How many teens have never had money given to them? What kind of Twilight Zone do you live in?

The first question I would ask your parents is "How do you expect him to learn how to handle money if he never has any money?"

Here's another thought, though I admit I don't know about Canadian libraries. Here in the U.S., they have something called interlibrary loans. If your home library doesn't have a particular book, they may be able to request it from a library across the country so that you may check it out and read it just like any other book in their inventory. See if your library can do that. It will open up the number of books available for you to legally read.

AJM

Postby AJM » September 13th, 2015, 3:03 am

Spider senses tingling.

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Postby mr_goat » September 13th, 2015, 3:19 am

AJM wrote:Spider senses tingling.

Been obvious since the teenage character appeared. I mean I know the narcissistic personality disorder was bad, but inventing characters to have dull lengthy chats with because no one is biting any more really is a cry for help.
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

performer

Postby performer » September 13th, 2015, 4:58 am

I am still suspicious this is Paul Pacific but for the sake of education I will continue to assume that it isn't. I am however going to check out his writing style and compare it with his posts on the magic cafe. The sudden mention of Thomas Baxter does make me wonder as he is a frequent topic of discussion between us.

Richard can check the location of his posts. Paul lives in Oakville whereas Inquisitive lives in Hamilton. Although the two towns are close to each other they are still different towns and perhaps half an hour drive away from each other.

If he is the real thing he is studying the Royal Road to Card Magic in the wrong fashion. He shouldn't be studying it for the "tricks". It is a foundation for learning how to do card magic properly from beginning to end. A proper grounding in the sleights required. 50% of my repertoire comes from the Royal Road and I have done pretty well with it.

I don't think I will be expanding on this matter until I am convinced that I am not talking to a barefooted imposter.

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 13th, 2015, 3:16 pm

@Smurf,

There are many that start working in their early teenage years or even before that, however then there are those like me who are in their late teenage years and haven't ever had a job.

In terms of birthdays, holidays, and special events, yes I would get money. However, my parents would always keep that money with them (the money given to me and my sister on birthdays, holidays and special events). They would obviously end up using this money on us (clothing, etc.), however they would keep it with them. So, this money was never really something that I could 'use' on whatever I wanted to use it on (magic, etc.). Whenever I'd want something, I'd just ask my parents to buy it for me. That includes video games, or even magic (which they wouldn't get me).

@mr_goat,

You are free to believe whatever you want to. I have no obligation whatsoever to convince you of anything.

@performer,

I mentioned Thomas Baxter, because I wanted to bring up that 'Open Prediction' effect of his, because it kind of relates to the topic of this thread. As you know, usually ACAAN, CAAN, and 'Open Prediction' effects go hand in hand. Just like Jeremy Weiss' ACAAN (which is probably a hoax) is apparently the perfect version, Thomas Baxter's 'Open Prediction' is also said to be the perfect version (of 'Open Prediction' effects). So, I just wanted to know if you've ever seen him perform that effect for you. Since you said you know him very well, I'm assuming that you've seen him perform it at least once.

Also, I'm glad you brought up Richard checking my location. Richard can simply trace my IP address, and that way he can find out what city I am posting from.

I understand you don't want to be wasting your time on an imposter. I assure you however that I am not an imposter. I would visit you if I could, but my parents will not allow me. They won't even let me visit you if they were with me. The reason being, they are against magic due to religious reasons. In our religion, 'cards' are kind of frowned upon (in some senses), and for that reason my parents don't like me doing magic (although I do it anyways). That's why they don't buy magic-related things for me, or take me to magic shows, or in this case visit magicians.

Hope that clears up something.

performer

Postby performer » September 13th, 2015, 3:55 pm

If you are Paul Pacific I will bloody well kill you! In fact Paul may well show up in my presence any moment. If he does he will be closely interrogated.
Last edited by performer on September 14th, 2015, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AJM

Postby AJM » September 13th, 2015, 4:32 pm

I feel a little hurt at being left out...

performer

Postby performer » September 13th, 2015, 4:53 pm

I have come up against this religious issue many times over the years when selling svengali decks. I still remember the bloody Westport Horse Show in Ireland where they ran me out of town for selling the "devil's cards" to innocent children. The event was run by a Mr Saunders and if he I'd still around I wish to inform him that I put a psychic hex on the show to assure bad weather in the future.

And if he doesn't believe me he can ask poor old Widdle about my awesome power in matters such as these.

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » September 13th, 2015, 5:09 pm

What's your number? If you're real you won't mind me giving you a call, right?

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 13th, 2015, 5:31 pm

mr_goat wrote:What's your number? If you're real you won't mind me giving you a call, right?

EDIT: Actually I won't give you my number now that I think about it. I previously was going to, but I have absolutely no idea who you are. Therefore, for privacy reasons I'd rather not tell you. Hopefully, you understand.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » September 13th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Inquisitive does not write like a 17 year old.

performer

Postby performer » September 13th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Under NO circumstances should this young man give his number out.
Last edited by performer on September 14th, 2015, 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 13th, 2015, 6:52 pm

@Larry,

Well, thanks for complimenting my writing (indirectly of course). I actually know many younger people than me who are much better at writing than I am. So, I would say age isn't a huge factor at determining whose a better writer.

@Performer,

I was going to give him my number, and I actually did message him my number, but I edited that out before he saw the message (he was offline at the time). Why should I give my number to a random stranger just to prove I am 17 years old? I mean, why does he even care?

performer

Postby performer » September 13th, 2015, 8:38 pm

DON'T GIVE YOUR NUMBER TO ANYONE HERE.

performer

Postby performer » September 13th, 2015, 9:29 pm

Larry Horowitz wrote:Inquisitive does not write like a 17 year old.

Indeed. If he is the genuine article I am very impressed with him. A normal teenager would have answered his antagonists in a very aggressive, obnoxious manner. He answered just like a professional politician being badgered by awkward questions.

But is he the real thing? That is what I am still not sure about although I tend to think he is.

If he is then he deserves all the help he can get. He is under quite a few obstacles to his learning process. On the other hand this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. If he gets to know too many magicians in person or gets to buy too many tricks or goes to magic clubs it could well retard his progress because he will be badly influenced by the incompetent and pick up their bad habits.

We will see how it all unfolds with him.

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » September 14th, 2015, 1:24 am

Color me surprised.

Interesting how Lewis goes from inviting a "17 year old boy" to visit him to advising "him" not to give his number out.

performer

Postby performer » September 14th, 2015, 6:29 am

Inquisitive asks about Thomas Baxter. Tom is a member here and I have seen him post under the name of Entity although not too recently. It would not surprise me in the slightest if he makes an appearance and advises Inquisitive directly. I do know he is usually very helpful to young magicians.

If he is a young magician, that is. I have to confess that I am still not entirely convinced. However, for the sake of education I will assume that he is.

I have no idea if Tom has ever shown me his Open Prediction. I am a very bad audience for magicians so I expect he would steer clear of me. I neither know what Open Prediction is neither do I care. I am not particularly interested in "tricks". The real secrets of magic lie elsewhere. YOU are the magic not your tricks. YOu, YOU, and always YOU.

Regarding my third method if you are Paul Pacific (which I strongly suspect) then you know it already so you don't need me to tell you again. If you are not Paul then you are really not ready for it.

I would urge you to reappraise your attitude to the Royal Road to Card Magic and in fact magic generally. I hate to say it but I think you should put everything you have learned aside and start fresh from the beginning. That is, if you want to get strong reactions to your tricks.

The dilemna you explain is described to a T in the presentation section of Expert Card Technique. Here is what it said:

"But you are a magician and you love magic, and lacking experience, you are floundering about in all directions and you are getting a little discouraged. You present magic, but not very well, and yhou don't know what is wrong. You tell yourself that what you need is a new trick, something very new and impossible, but when you get this trick you are just where you were before and you decide that what you need is another new trick, also very amazing and impossible. And you don't know what is wrong"

Sounds just like your situation, doesn't it? The above section then goes on to tell what you should do about it. However since you don't have the book handy I will have to do for the moment.

First, as I have already stated forget about the tricks. They are not the important part. Sure, you need tricks but they are merely the peg on which you hang your personality on. Sell YOURSELF and the tricks will come along for the ride. Now of course you have to have strong pegs to hang your personality on so by all means choose what you perceive to be strong tricks. However, also remember that what you perceive to be a strong trick another magician may consider a dud. That is because what suits one magician does not necessarily suit another.

I would advise you to start at the very beginning where tricks are concerned. A common mistake of beginners nowadays with all the easy internet access to material is that they tend to go for the difficult stuff FAR too early. They regard it as a challenge to learn complicated sleight of hand moves without giving consideration to whether it is a sensible thing to learn to entertain an audience. Magic is not a competitive sport. You will not win any medals by learning a difficult move just because it is a difficult move. Sure, learn a difficult move if there is a PURPOSE to it. But not now. Not right now. Do it later. If you do it now it will distract and retard your progress.

Right now get a small repertoire say 5 or 6 EASY tricks that require no digital skill whatsoever or at the very least minimal skill. There are PLENTY of these around that are strong in effect with the minimum of technique. Now work out what to say for the tricks. There are two ways of doing this. I don't normally advise writing out a script but in your case I get a gut feeling that you should. Do not learn if off by heart as you will sound stilted and artificial and ten to one you will forget what to say halfway through it in actual performance.

No. Get a rough idea of what to say from what you have written down. By all means memorise as much of it as you can but don't drive yourself crazy over it. Remember the general gist of it and retain the main headings of what to say in your mind. And when you actually perform you may not say the exact words you have written down but the general meaning will be the same and you will sound far more spontaneous than if you were to learn it by rote.

That is one way of doing it. Expert Card Technique gives another way that, although I have never used it sounds perfectly serviceable. Eventually you will have to get that book for the presentation section so you can read it there. The system that I personally use is simply to sit down somewhere and vaguely go over something to say in my mind. I get the main headings in my mind and when I perform it just comes out. However, I have many years of experience so I suggest you do it the first way I described above.

That is your first task. I shall sum it up for you. Learn 5 easy tricks. Then write out the patter. Learn what to say using the method I describe. Then rehearse it over and over. Rehearse out loud. Paul Pacific tells me that he rehearses it all in his head but "that is not what I would do" to quote him. Say it out loud (but don't let your parents hear otherwise they may call in an exorcist)as if you were doing in live performance.

Then most important of all go out and DO it!

Now I really want you to appreciate the Royal Road to Card Magic more so I am going to suggest that one of your 5 tricks is the second trick in this book. That is, Poker Player's Picnic. I can assure you the effect on laymen is astonishing. Ignore any twits on the magic cafe and other places who will tell you different. Regrettably it has been exposed by idiot kids on you tube and given away unmercifully by teachers in magic to people who shouldn't know about such a wonderful item. The strong effect of this trick is based on the fact that you don't touch the cards. There are more direct methods of doing this but ignore them all. They have the weakness that the magician has to touch the cards.

I would suggest you use this as an opening effect for laymen. Keep the irritating flourishes that young people do to a minimum but if you really have to indulge in this silliness then it is intelligent strategy to do Poker Player's Picnic right after since no sleight of hand is involved.

There. That is your first lesson from me. It will take some time to absorb it and put it into practice. When you have done so and achieved decent results then come back to me and I will tell you what to do next. Right now curtail your enthusiasm for learning new trick after new trick, new sleight after new sleight, open prediction after open prediction and card at any number after card at any number.

Listen to me and you will end up a good magician.

Good luck.

performer

Postby performer » September 15th, 2015, 6:40 am

Our earnest student seems to have disappeared. Perhaps he wasn't as earnest as first thought. Or perhaps he is too traumatised at the advice I gave him. I suppose being told to give up and start again from the beginning can be a bit of a shock.

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 15th, 2015, 7:13 am

I am still here. Due to being busy, I haven't had much time to be on here. I did, however, get the chance to read your post. I will give a long and detailed response to it later when I have more time.

-Inquisitive

performer

Postby performer » September 15th, 2015, 8:18 am

I knew that would bring him out of the woodwork!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 15th, 2015, 11:29 am

Performer,

I fully intended to take a break from this Forum, for a couple of reasons. One is that I want to get into a fertile period of practice and rehearsal to strengthen my magic and entertainment skills, and this obviously takes time and dedication. The other reason is private, and I shall not go into it here.

In any event, after reading your recent posts, I felt compelled to post this, although I will not be posting for quite a while thereafter.

You are an absolute gem, Performer. You are very wise in your understanding of what is involved in becoming a successful magical ENTERTAINER, and getting a reaction from the audience, as opposed to merely learning trick after trick and rendering mediocre performances. I do not know many people who have your insight and understanding (or wit), and who would have cared, or taken the time to give this young man, Inquisitive, the priceless advice you have given him. Everything you have told him is, IMHO, right on the money.

So, I will not only second all you have said, but I will just say this outright, and not mince words. INQUISITIVE, take heed of what Performer has told you. You are very lucky to have received this gift. You are at a crossroads. Which direction will you go? Success or failure? That is up to you. If you ignore Performer's advice, I assure you it will be the latter. If you really love magic and want to be a successful magician (i.e. one who can truly ENTERTAIN and get great reactions from LAYMEN, NOT MAGICIANS), follow the advice you have been freely and generously given from a very wise and experienced performer.

Now to add my own two cents to the mix. Master one routine at a time, don't jump around. Make the moves clean, smooth and flowing. Don't just practice sleights for the sake of learning "moves" or to try to impress magicians. A sleight is a tool, and should be learned in the context of the routine you are doing, and for no other purpose. Video yourself as much as possible, and observe yourself objectively. There are many great self-working tricks which can blow people away as much as those with difficult sleights if presented smoothly and ENTERTAININGLY. Don't think about fooling and outwitting people as much as ENTERTAINING them and putting a smile on their face. If you want them to watch you and appreciate you, then you have to give them something of value. Amuse them, ENTERTAIN them with a story around your magic, move them, make them laugh. As Dai Vernon said: You must have an emotional hook.

One other thing. You must perform for people. And do it as much as possible. I don't care if it means working for free in a coffee shop or tea room or on the street. Laymen will teach you more than any magician will. Along with practice and studying the books by and about the masters, this is the most important ingredient to success if you want to be really good. You will suck for a while, frankly, it is unavoidable; every artist goes through that; nobody gets there overnight, but never get discouraged and keep plugging no matter what your parents or friends say. Love magic, honor it, and honor and believe in yourself.

performer

Postby performer » September 15th, 2015, 12:04 pm

And ignore your parents!

performer

Postby performer » September 15th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Sorry-I couldn't resist that last remark! I do thank Alfred for his vindication of my presence. It will make Richard feel better about inviting me here and it gives a great big rasberry to the naysayers and I appreciate it.

I am still wondering why Richard thought you were me talking to myself. I suspect some detractor or other
sent him a message saying you were me. Luckily your videos helped me to prove this wrong. And your own advice to the young man is pretty good too!

I still am not sure who inquisitive is but even if he isn't the genuine article it doesn't matter anyway as what I said would apply to any young person starting magic and I don't regret writing it.

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 18th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Ok, so I finally got time to write out a response.

@Performer,

Okay, so let me summarize the key points of your lesson in no particular order:

1) Choose approximately 5 easy-to-do, sleight-free effects at a time.

2) Master these 5 or so effects before moving on to the next set of 5 or so.

3) Mainly focus on the presentation of the effects; make it interesting, entertaining, etc.

That is the gist of what I got out of your lesson. I think I'll actually do exactly what you said. Instead of jumping back and forth between dozens of effects, I should pick 5 and master them. Once I've mastered the first 5, then I can move on to the next 5, and so forth. I'll also make sure that the effects I do are easy-to-do and sleight-free (selfworking). That way I can mainly focus on the presentation of the effect rather than focusing on the methodology. After all, it is the presentation that SELLS the effect; since the presentation is what makes the effect interesting, and entertaining at the same time.

I have yet to actually master even 1 single effect. I've always spent at most 1-2 days learning an effect, and I'd be performing it literally the next day; then I'd move on to the next effect and do the same (practice for a day or two, and move on to the next). So, I have never really mastered any effect at all. I guess you're right. If I actually master 5 or so effects (from the methodology to the presentation) before moving on, then I can really ace everything.

Thanks for the advice!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 18th, 2015, 11:55 pm

You cannot have mastered a single trick if you've devoted only one or two days to it. It takes YEARS to master a single sleight.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » September 19th, 2015, 12:27 am

It certainly took me years to learn the double lift. I could never master the bloody thing. But believe it or not I learned the pass in ten minutes even though it was supposed to take months! Mind you, it was a very good description in a very old book that produced this remarkable result.

However with most self working tricks the mechanics can be learned very quickly and in some cases within 15 to 30 minutes. The presentation takes a hell of a lot longer but I think it can be done well within a week. Still, I certainly wouldn't rush out to show the nearest person until the thing has been well rehearsed.

Intricate sleight of hand does take years to learn but you can certainly learn some basic sleight of hand within a couple of months or so. After all you only really NEED around 5 to 6 moves to get great results.

performer

Postby performer » September 19th, 2015, 7:31 am

Just one thing to inquisitive. Once you are getting some kind of result with the self working tricks you should probably proceed further by learning some of the basic sleights such as palming, a good control, a good force of some kind (the classic force is the best if you can master it) a good double lift (don't overdo the use of it though) and the injog. Perhaps when you really advance learn the top change. This is really all you need although if you want to learn a new move for something specific then there may well be no harm in doing so.

By doing this you will have a less restricted repertoire. But leave this until later. Right now learn the easy stuff and most importantly learn how to present it entertainingly. That will do you more good than being a hot shot finger flinger that entertains nobody.

I think you will be pleased with the results and I predict the good reactions will come fairly quickly once you follow this philosophy.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » September 20th, 2021, 4:21 pm

performer wrote:
Zig Zagger wrote:I like your outright modesty, performer.

With a bit more braggadocio and hubris, you might become the Shaum Quarqhtart of trick deck pitchers. :mrgreen:

But back to my wondrous versions of Card at Any Number. I shall reveal part of the secret of my third method. I simply have the named card on top and second deal to it. I know you may think that it is better if the spectator does the dealing but that can take all day and my audiences are terribly impatient. However, the key part that might puzzle you is "how do I know what card they will say?". Remember ANY person can say ANY card! There. Figure that one out.

I bet you can't. There. I always wanted to do a bit of "conjuring for conjurers" too.

I just received a phone call from Texas regarding this matter. It seems he read this old thread and is very eager to find out this secret. For some reason, no doubt because he has heard of my psychic powers, he seems to believe that I might know this secret and reveal it to him. I do concede that I have a strong psychic vibe of the method but I am reluctant to call him back as he requested. Hopefully he will read this here and understand my reasoning.

1. I am very anti social and have no desire to speak to other human beings. I do concede that magicians may not necessarily come under the category of human beings but the principle still stands.
2. It would cost me money in long distance charges to call him back. I did this sort of thing once before and it cost me a fortune.
3. I am reluctant to give away the secret anyway.

From time to time I do get people calling me long distance looking for information and leaving their phone number expecting me to call them back. Please don't be offended if I don't bother. In any event I do think this thread is full of valuable information. I wish I had written some of it..................

Return to “Reference Room”