Vernon's Color Changing Deck Might be Annemann's!

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Ryan Matney

Vernon's Color Changing Deck Might be Annemann's!

Postby Ryan Matney » February 22nd, 2015, 3:28 pm

I recently found a reference that might be of interest.

In the bound L&L reprint of 'The Pallbearer's Review' Vol 1, Fulves serialized what was known as "Annemann's $50 Manuscript".

There is an entry in this Annemann work called 'Color Changing Deck'. It is the same handling and method as the famous Vernon routine from Inner Secrets!

Vernon's routine uses a hindu shuffle and a joker duplicate while Annemann's uses an undercut and X card.

The $50 manuscript was purportedly taken from notes at a lecture Annemann gave circa 1931.

I suspect that Vernon saw Annemann's routine and refined the handling as he did with everything he saw.

I shared this find with Stephen Minch and he pointed out that Annemann was very close to Henry Christ and Christ is known for having a seminal version of the color changing deck but his method is not known. So we don't know if the color changing deck in the $50 manuscript is Annemann's or Christ's or a version of Christ's.

I think it is what Vernon started with though because it is the same trick with different cards.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: Vernon's Color Changing Deck Might be Annemann's!

Postby Leonard Hevia » February 22nd, 2015, 4:57 pm

Hi Ryan--are you referring to Exclusive Secrets of Annemann's Conception? In his book Dai Vernon: A Biography, David Ben describes this as a small manuscript containing fourteen items and sold for a high $52.00. Ben notes, "Given that very few of the items in the manuscript were of Annemann's conception, the title was an ironic one. They belonged to members of the Inner Circle such as Sam Horowitz, Henry Christ, Nate Leipzig, and of course, Vernon."

Ben also mentions that Vernon did not begrudge Annemann's manuscript because he worked out the methods on his own as opposed to betraying and profiting from secrets shared in confidence.
Last edited by Leonard Hevia on February 22nd, 2015, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 22nd, 2015, 5:03 pm

No the $50 Manuscript was titled "Annemann's $50 Manuscript" and was taken from lecture notes.

I am not an Annemann expert but I think that is a different book from the one Fulves serialized.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

performer

Postby performer » September 12th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Oddly enough I have seen this trick credited to Paul Rosini!

It is a fantastic trick and I do it all the time.

Return to “Reference Room”