Dover Books on Magic

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
atkinsod

Dover Books on Magic

Postby atkinsod » February 21st, 2014, 2:39 pm

I've recently posted an article on my website that lists all of the books that Dover has ever published on Magic Tricks. Are there any books that anyone knows of that are not in the list? For example, did Dover publish Hoffmann's Latest Magic or More Magic books? Also, in case you didn't already know, Dover has recently begun selling e-book versions of many of their books.

The link to the article (not yet linked from anywhere on my website yet): http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/doverbooks10.htm

Enjoy, and thanks for any additional input.

Doug Atkinson

Bill Mullins

Re: Dover Books on Magic

Postby Bill Mullins » February 21st, 2014, 3:03 pm

That's a nice piece of work. There's a lot of overlooked magic in the Dover books, and usually at a good price. Fulves' Self-Working Table Magic is a particular favorite of mine.

It might be appropriate for the entry for Martin Gardner's Science Magic to reflect that the original Sterling edition is a compilation of MG's tricks that had been previously published in his "Martin Gardner's Corner" column in Magic Magazine, and in a similar column he wrote in Physics Teacher. (Some were in both mags, some only in one or the other.)

atkinsod

Postby atkinsod » February 21st, 2014, 3:08 pm

Thanks, Bill. That's exactly the type of tidbits I'd like to add. I know that some were upset with Dover for grabbing up Modern Coin Magic, but overall I'd say that the Dover books have been a good service to promote magic.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » February 21st, 2014, 3:56 pm

I must agree with you Doug in that those books have been a good service to magic. I enjoyed reading your Dover book list. It brings back memories of some Dover books I bought early on in my magic life such as MAGIC TRICKS AND CARD TRICKS by Wilfrid Jonson, MAGIC AND SHOWMANSHIP by Henning Nelms, and HOUDINI ON MAGIC by Walter Gibson.

The above titles are still among my favorites. Dover was to books what SS Adams was to tricks for a young guy starting out in magic in the old days. They were both affordable and accessible.

atkinsod

Postby atkinsod » February 22nd, 2014, 5:15 pm

While most of the Dover books are readily available (even most of the out of print ones), a few seem to be harder to find. I expect they printed fewer copies of these books:

Hofzinser, Johann N.: Hofzinser's Card Conjuring.

Maskelyne, Nevil: Maskelyne on the Performance of Magic (Part One of Maskelyne and Devant's Our Magic) - I've never seen this one

Robert-Houdin, J.E.: King of the Conjurer: Memoirs of Robert-Houdin

Scot, Reginald: Discoverie of Witchcraft

David Linsell

Postby David Linsell » February 22nd, 2014, 6:47 pm

To give you an idea of what these look like here off my shelve are are three of the scarce Dover titles:

Hofzinser, Johann N.: Hofzinser's Card Conjuring
(Dover published 1986)

Robert-Houdin, J.E.: King of the Conjurer: Memoirs of Robert-Houdin (Dover published 1964)

Maskelyne, Nevil: Maskelyne on the Performance of Magic (Part One of Maskelyne and Devant's Our Magic)
(Dover published 1976)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 22nd, 2014, 7:59 pm

atkinsod wrote:While most of the Dover books are readily available (even most of the out of print ones), a few seem to be harder to find. I expect they printed fewer copies of these books:

Hofzinser, Johann N.: Hofzinser's Card Conjuring.

Maskelyne, Nevil: Maskelyne on the Performance of Magic (Part One of Maskelyne and Devant's Our Magic) - I've never seen this one

Robert-Houdin, J.E.: King of the Conjurer: Memoirs of Robert-Houdin

Scot, Reginald: Discoverie of Witchcraft

I've seen the Hofzinser book for sale a couple of times in the last couple of years, for $40 each. I wonder if it will drop in value after the new big Hofzinser book.

The Reginald Scot book appears to still be in print.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 22nd, 2014, 9:07 pm

Karl Fulves was behind the Dover reprint of Hofzinser, and boy was Sam Sharpe pissed off about that!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 22nd, 2014, 11:07 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Karl Fulves was behind the Dover reprint of Hofzinser

Have to thank Karl Fulves for making that book available and just at the time when I was new to magic and looking for a book on card tricks. I found it a trove of inspiring material and ideas. Card magic as vital art form was so much more appealing compared to the card game/cheating aesthetic about shuffling, dealing, finding aces...
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

lybrary

Postby lybrary » February 23rd, 2014, 6:30 am

We retail all 3000+ Dover books as ebooks. Among them are 31 magic ebooks. You can see all Dover magic ebooks here http://www.lybrary.com/advanced_search_ ... mm-dd-yyyy
Lybrary.com https://www.lybrary.com/
preserving magic one book at a time

atkinsod

Postby atkinsod » February 23rd, 2014, 12:17 pm

Hey Chris,

At Lybrary.com, I could not find the following e-book that is listed at the Dove site: Fulves, Karl: Self-Working Close Up Card Magic

However, you do have listed the following e-books that are NOT currently listed (with e-books) over at Dover:
Victor, Edward: Classic Card Tricks
James, Stewart: Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks
Sachs, Edwin: Art of Magic
Hatton & Plate: Magician's Tricks

And yes, I should have done better research: The Discoverie of Witchcraft is still available at DoverPublications.com. That's what I get for sticking to the "magic" category rather than searching the entire site. They do not list is as available in e-book format yet, though. That's one of the reasons I have formally linked to the article yet - it needs a bit more fine-tuning!

Thanks so much.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » February 23rd, 2014, 3:39 pm

I do have "Self Working Card Tricks" by Fulves, but I guess that is a different title, or maybe just a title change. Dover sometimes likes to change the title and cover for marketing reasons.
Lybrary.com https://www.lybrary.com/
preserving magic one book at a time

Return to “Reference Room”