Magic Enthusiast/Screenwriter looking for help

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
inastagewhisper
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Magic Enthusiast/Screenwriter looking for help

Postby inastagewhisper » July 7th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Hi,

My name is Chris and I'm a filmmaker based in Brooklyn. For the past few years I've specialized in shooting comedy shorts and animations for TV/documentaries. I'm also a lifelong magic enthusiast, ever since a Hawaiian glass bottom boat operator made a handkerchief disappear and blew my 8 year old socks off. Or when my dad slipped 20 bucks to the doorman for a front row seat at Lance Burton's show. Later, he pulled me on stage and made me hold a dozen eggs he produced from a small velvet cloth. I put them in my pockets like a fool, where they immediately cracked and ruined my pants.

ANYWAY, I'm currently in the process of writing my first feature and am trying to find magicians who are willing to answer some questions (and if you're in the NY/NJ area, meet up). I can't go into the film's premise here, but I'm less interested in the spectacle and wonder of illusions, and more into the lives of magicians who are starting out performing at birthday parties and corporate events. I'm interested in the impetus that makes people devote their lives to magic, and what a "trick" represents, rather than how it's done. This is not a film where rival magicians try to top each other with improbable spectacles. It's a film about dedication to the art of magic, where a young man practices a sleight in front of a jewelry mirror in his basement until he can't feel his hands.

If this sounds interesting to you, please send me a message to my inbox with your email address and we can talk! And if this violates the rules of the board, I apologize. You can flame away. I can take it.

Thanks!
Chris

Return to “Reference Room”