SandorMagic: Worth a try?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Flailer

SandorMagic: Worth a try?

Postby Flailer » March 7th, 2013, 3:36 am

I know nothing about magic. But this isn't about me; it's about my niece. She's interested in close-up work, and I happened across these while searching for relevant ebooks.

She's a good kid and she's enthusiastic about this stuff. I'd like to encourage her, but I don't want to buy her something that she won't consider interesting or useful. I figure folks here know an awful lot more about this kind of stuff than I ever will, so I respectfully request any input you might be willing to offer. Anybody know anything about this SandorMagic outfit? Or should I just bite the bullet, take a chance, and quit being such a worrywart?

Thanks for reading.

Bob Cunningham

Re: SandorMagic: Worth a try?

Postby Bob Cunningham » March 7th, 2013, 6:18 am

Rather than buy an e-book that teaches your niece a single trick for $3.00 why not buy her a book that has dozens of tricks for just a few dollars more?

If she is just starting out (or has only been performing magic for a few years) Richard Kaufman's, "Knack Magic Tricks: A Step-by-Step Guide to Illusions, Sleight of Hand, and Amazing Feats" is a great choice. The e-book is only $10.00 and the reviews have been outstanding. Here is a link to reviews from Amazon users: http://www.amazon.com/Knack-Magic-Trick ... 1599217791

If your niece is a more advanced student of magic (and you are specifically interested in e-books) L&L publishing has some of the best magic books of the last 50 years available for download. They also have monthly sales for those on a budget. This month they have "The Close-Up Magic of Aldo Colombini" for just $10.00 available here: http://llepub.com/

The bottom line: don't spend $3.00 on a single trick for your niece that may, or may not, be something she likes. Get her a high quality book with dozens of GREAT tricks for a few dollars more.

Flailer

Postby Flailer » March 7th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Mr. Cunningham, this is exactly why I wanted to run this by folks who know what they're talking about. Your advice is more than I anticipated and everything I need. Thank you very much for your kindness and consideration.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » March 7th, 2013, 4:29 pm

" Thank you very much for your kindness and consideration."

You are very welcome. I think you and your niece will find the magic community very friendly and supportive. You might even encourage her to join this forum. There are lots of good people here and they have lots of good advice for magicians all skill levels!

Good luck,

Bob

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » March 13th, 2013, 11:37 am

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is still in print and is one of the best references for all kinds of magic. I see it at Barnes & Noble and it is frequently at used book stores as well. A new copy is about $20. There is not a better gift for the budding magician.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Flailer

Postby Flailer » March 13th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Thank you very much for the tip, Mr. Banks. I appreciate it.

Return to “Reference Room”