Quotes from Gustav Holst

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Quotes from Gustav Holst

Postby Q. Kumber » February 4th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Driving back from yesterday's magic car boot sale I was listening to the radio and heard a quote from Gustav Holst that resonated with me.

Holst was a composer, bet known for The Planets.

It inspired me to look up what else Holst had to say. The quote I heard on the radio is the second one.

Music-making as a means of getting money is hell

"Never compose anything unless the not composing of it becomes a positive nuisance to you."

"If a thing is worth doing at all, it is worth doing badly."

"If nobody likes your work, you have to go on just for the sake of the work. And you're in no danger of letting the public make you repeat yourself. Every artist ought to pray that he may not be 'a succes'. If he's a failure he stands a good chance of concentrating upon the best work of which he's capable."

"Music, being identical with heaven, isn't a thing of momentary thrills, or even hourly ones. It's a condition of eternity."

El Mystico

Re: Quotes from Gustav Holst

Postby El Mystico » February 4th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:
"If nobody likes your work, you have to go on just for the sake of the work. And you're in no danger of letting the public make you repeat yourself. Every artist ought to pray that he may not be 'a success'. If he's a failure he stands a good chance of concentrating upon the best work of which he's capable."

I love this. Probably because I am an unsuccessful writer.

I recommend his Brook Green Suite too. And not just because I used to live there.

Return to “Reference Room”