Performances of RRTCM effects

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Tristan Angeles

Performances of RRTCM effects

Postby Tristan Angeles » January 16th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Hello! Can anyone direct me to videos of RRTCM effects performed by professional or experienced magicians? Although I've been performing some of the stuff, I have not seen anyone else perform them with 'mastery or entertainingly' as the books suggest. Perhaps if I saw others perform it I can gauge how much work I still need to do for the effects. What parts of each effect should one work to make it entertaining to audiences( ex. patter , gestures etc.) Thanks!

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Performances of RRTCM effects

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 17th, 2011, 8:26 am

? What led you expect there to be such things?

There may be a DVD product available which teaches some of the items in Royal Road.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 17th, 2011, 8:31 am

I think it is a valid question. He doesn't want to be taught the effects, he wants to see a professional perform them entertainingly.

Tristan, many many magicians use lots of the tricks in that book professionally.

I still use The Tipsy Trick, Ambitious Card, Cards Across, and others when I work. YouTube would be a good starting place for your search.

Tristan Angeles

Postby Tristan Angeles » January 17th, 2011, 9:57 am

Anyone specific that I look for? I just saw one video of Michael Vincent performing "everywhere and nowhere" at a lecture, the rest of the vids I found are people just performing in front of a cam and not for an audience. I want to know how much work pro magicians put into their performance,how they script their patter, or use misdirection just so I'll have an idea.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 17th, 2011, 10:07 am

Just watch the rest of Micheal's videos. :)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 17th, 2011, 11:37 am

Agree with Mr. Goat: Michael Vincent is an excellent entertainer and technician, and you can learn a lot from him. One of my favorites.

If you are specifically interested in watching a pro do the material from Royal Road, I think the best resource available is R Paul Wilson's DVD set on RRTCM from L & L publishing.

Paul is also an excellent magician, and you'll see effects from the book professionally presented in front of lay persons. You'll also get copious expert instruction on the individual sleights as well.

Return to “Reference Room”