Quick Sleight Question

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Rob UK

Quick Sleight Question

Postby Rob UK » August 25th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Evening Genii-ites,

Please forgive this quick card sleight question.

What's the difference between the Derek Dingle no-lap switch and Vernons substitute transfer?

I have a few tricks that teach each move, but they both seem the same to me.

Rob

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Quick Sleight Question

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 25th, 2009, 6:54 pm

What do you mean by "Vernon Substitute Transfer?"
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » August 26th, 2009, 8:59 am

I suspect that he is referring to Vernon's Strip-Out Addition.

rkosby

Postby rkosby » August 26th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Does anyone remember where the Vernon Strip-Out Addition was first published? I can't. But I never did it with the steal described in the No Lap switch 2nd application in The Complete works of Derek Dingle.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » August 26th, 2009, 9:43 pm

"The Lost Inner Secrets" says that the strip-out addition was published in Vernon's Ten Card Problems (1932).
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Rob UK

Postby Rob UK » January 13th, 2010, 8:01 am

Oh my, I just read this thread, thinking it was an interesting question, only to find that it was originally posted by myself!

I didn't mean to ignore everyone who replied, I didnt receive any kind of email notification that a reply had been made (I thought I was supposed to..)

At this stage I cannot remember which books I was reading that taught these moves (A Paul Gordon book springs to my memory as I believe he uses the no lap switch in a few effects)

it's basically a switch of 4 out jogged selections for the bottom 4 cards of the deck (or any number). I'm not sure how far I can describe it here in this forum.

I think I'd read the same move description given these two different titles so wondered if i was missing something.

Rob

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 13th, 2010, 8:10 am

Rob UK wrote:Oh my, I just read this thread, thinking it was an interesting question, only to find that it was originally posted by myself!

I didn't mean to ignore everyone who replied, I didnt receive any kind of email notification that a reply had been made (I thought I was supposed to..)

At this stage I cannot remember which books I was reading that taught these moves (A Paul Gordon book springs to my memory as I believe he uses the no lap switch in a few effects)

it's basically a switch of 4 out jogged selections for the bottom 4 cards of the deck (or any number). I'm not sure how far I can describe it here in this forum.

I think I'd read the same move description given these two different titles so wondered if i was missing something.

Rob

You can go into as much detail as you want. RK is sensible enough to realise that magicians discussing method on a forum isn't a problem. Unlike all the stupid UK forums that make you put T****TIP etc.

Rob UK

Postby Rob UK » January 13th, 2010, 8:29 am

Well, I received an email for that reply.... Things are looking up!

The move as I know is is where you get 4 cards outjogged as selections, and during that you get a break above the lower 4 cards. These are the cards to be switched in.

The 4 selections are angle jogged to the left slightly and the deck is held in the right hand from above in a biddle style grip Your left hand comes forward from under the deck to take them. It also carries with it the bottom 4 cards, and keeps a break between these 4 and the 4 selections.

You then briefly touch the deck and the stripped out cards together, picking up the cards originally outjogged onto the bottom of the pack, leaving you with the 4 cards for the bottom masquerading as the 4 selections.

Phew!

I think I've seen this on a Sankey DVD described as the Vernon Substitute Transfer, and I'm sure PG describes the same move as the Derek Dingle No lap Switch.

So i was wondering whether they are the same move, or I;m missing some subtlety in one of the moves that distinguishes it somehow.

Rob

Return to “Reference Room”