John Bannon's Shriek of the Mutilated

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

John Bannon's Shriek of the Mutilated

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2005, 5:49 pm

Hi,
This question goes out to those that own Impossibilia by John Bannon. I'm interested in the lineage of the effect, Shriek of the Mutilated and the concept of wrapping tissue paper in flash paper to effect a change. I know that Al Baker published Welded Flash Paper in 1941 in Magical Ways and Means. Also, I think that Tannen's released a pamphlet sometime in the 1910's using a similar concept. Does anybody have any further info? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Oz

Chris Aguilar

Re: John Bannon's Shriek of the Mutilated

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 28th, 2005, 6:11 pm

I'm guessing this is so we'll soon see this as a penguin download or on a new DVD?

Or just curious?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 28th, 2005, 6:42 pm

You think Tannens released a pamphlet (any pamphlet) in the 1910s?
You need to do some research: Lou Tannen's shop didn't open until the 1940s (and the first shop was under his real name of Nat Louis).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2005, 7:01 pm

Hi,
I'm writing up a set of lecture notes, and therefore required as much detail in my credits as possible. I've recently lectured in New York, New Jersey, Israel, and California. I have upcoming lectures throughout the US and a possible lecture tour in the UK. I think that I was mistaken in my dates on the Tannen's pamphlet. It may well have been in the 1940's, and the effect used flash paper to change the color of a piece of tissue paper. If anybody has any further info it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Oz

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » May 28th, 2005, 9:55 pm

Oz,

You may be referring to the following:

"Herman Paine of Chicago, years ago brought out an interesting mystery in which a blank cigarette paper was crumpled up and stuck on the point of some long pin and given to someone to hold. A color was selected, and some object. Upon unrolling the cigarette paper the freely chosen article was found written on the paper in the color selected."

[From Tarbell #6 - in the introduction to 'Message From Hades' - an effect created by Jack Avis]

I don't know if Herman Paine made any use of flash paper in his effect.

Regards,

John

Temperance

Postby Temperance » May 29th, 2005, 4:46 am

Roy Walton also has a similar revelation using flash paper and dice. I think it's called 'Devilish Die', might have been published in the pallbearer's review. I'd have to check.

Euan

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 29th, 2005, 8:27 am

As far as I know, the T&R Cigarette Paper on a hat pin with flash paper originates in an unpublished routine of Al Baker's. Oz, you may wish to contact Wesley James, as I know he is familiar with the history of this item.

A related idea is Germain's Gem, which is really a "spirit writing" effect, though the methods are pretty interchangeable. The signature of a celebrity (as Karl Germain performed it) appears on a cigarette paper that has been crumpled and balanced on the tip of a pencil. There's no flash paper involved in the original version, but Eugene Burger does use it in his variation.

-Jim

Return to “Reference Room”