Book of the Month: Annemann's Practical Mental Effects (with Comments by Max Maven)

This forum is an ongoing, and evolving, discussion. Genii Forum members discuss opinions and trade notes on current and past magic books.
Bob Postelnik

Re: Book of the Month: Annemann's Practical Mental

Postby Bob Postelnik » March 14th, 2008, 12:20 am

Thanks, the Solomon trick is very clever and I am sure it is a real stunner under the right circumstances.
Life is a journey, so do not arrive at your grave safe and in a well preserved body. Enjoy the Ride!

TheFireEater

Re: Book of the Month: Annemann's Practical Mental Effects (with Comments by Max Maven)

Postby TheFireEater » February 6th, 2009, 10:07 am

Dustin Stinett_dup1 wrote:Is there anyone out there using this amazing material?

In a word: "Yes!" Matter-of-fact I DID do a Halloween-ish version of "Safalaljia" this past year.

I have also adapted/adopted some of that chapter on Slates... and, you know, slates STILL can be found. More-so, you can Make YOur Own... buy the proper paint.

But, the quality won't be as good.

Then, too, it IS true that 'White Boards' have really made slates seem a bit odd... but if you just go into any toy store, you will find that CHALK has, if anything, enjoyed quite a 're-birth' of popularity... BUT this is in the format of 'sidewalk' usage.

So, MAYBE a BLack Board can still be used without arousing too much suspicion ? Thing is, I just came to THIS topic after reading the review of Magicomedy, so I am rather acutely aware of using a so-called "Normal" looking and/or 'common' object.

I do suspect that for anyone younger than, say, maybe 30, a Blackboard will seem very rare, if not out-and-out an oddity. Anyone half that age probably won't know what they are at all !

Oh, well... Max, you did a GREAT JOB, not just a review, clearly, of a book, but an entire TREATISE on the history of 'modern' mentalism ! Thanks for an obvious 'labor of Love' !

As Maz observes, even IF slates are passe', the material STILL has merits, even if the specific effect needs to be altered.

A GREAT BOOK, one that I often keep near 'The Throne' and will pick up randomly to read.

I would thus give it "Four-and-a-half Flushes" on a scale of Five Flushes. No "Four Flusher" this one !
Matthew the Munificent

Return to “Book of The Month Club”