Magic Book of The Month Club

This forum is an ongoing, and evolving, discussion. Genii Forum members discuss opinions and trade notes on current and past magic books.

Magic Book of The Month Club

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2002, 10:50 am

Greetings to all,
I have an idea for the forum. Why don't we start a Magic Book of The Month Club here?
We could select a book a month to read and discuss. This would especially benefit the amateur/hobbyists, like me, who are just starting out and want to be educated further. It could also be good for the seasoned pro for some "freshing up".
Or am I totally out of line?

Thanks for reading,
Jack

Lisa Cousins

Re: Magic Book of The Month Club

Postby Lisa Cousins » August 16th, 2002, 11:35 am

I think this is a very nice idea.

One request would be that the selected book not be something current. The new stuff gets reviewed in the magazines, and can be discussed in other areas of the Forum. I'd like the selection to be something at least ten years old, if not a hundred - a buried treasure or an old favorite.

As far as how to choose the book, maybe we could collect several selections and use the "Poll" feature of the Forum to make the decision.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 16th, 2002, 6:09 pm

Jack: that's a fine idea. Let's find someone willing to be the moderator for the thread!
Volunteers?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Rick Maue

Postby Rick Maue » August 16th, 2002, 7:00 pm

Greetings,

If I could make a suggestion, why don't we have several threads, each dealing with a different book? This would allow a greater number of members to discuss their interests. In other words, possibly one thread for a book on cards, one on mentalism, one on stage magic, one on bizarre magick, one on magic theory, etc...

We don't need too many going at once, but it may be nice to have at least two or three per month to provide some variety. This way more than one interest is represented at a time.

Also, the idea of polling the members to choose the books sounds perfect. However, I personally would not restrict the selections by the age of the book (although most of the ones that I would love to discuss would be a number of years old.) The reason is that we may be excluding a number of people that simply do not own extremely old books.

And to answer your question Richard, I will help with moderating as much as I can. (I am out lecturing quite a bit over the next few months, but I will help when I am able.) Please let me know how I can assist.

Keep the change,
Rick Maue

Jon Armstrong

Postby Jon Armstrong » August 16th, 2002, 7:55 pm

Ok I say we all read Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne and do a little book report compare notes on it. Who's with me?
By the way hey there Rick. Missed you for the rest of the convention.
Reading is so cool,
Jon

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 16th, 2002, 10:03 pm

Our official moderator for this new category will be Dustin Stinett. He will select a book and get the conversation going.
I think we should try and keep it to one book at a time.
If you have suggestions for books that you would like to see discussed, please send a PRIVATE e-mail to Dustin at: dustin13@cox.net
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Book of The Month Club”