Book of the Month: Fechter: The Magic of Eddie Fechter

This forum is an ongoing, and evolving, discussion. Genii Forum members discuss opinions and trade notes on current and past magic books.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Book of the Month: Fechter: The Magic of Eddie Fechter

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 6th, 2009, 3:36 pm

FireEater,

Its interesting to me that while you have admittedly adapted/adopted material that is pass in one book (and form of magic), you are completely unable to do soor even consider the possibility of doing sowith the exceptional material in this book.

Dustin

John Carney

Postby John Carney » February 20th, 2009, 3:09 pm

guess I missed the boat on this one......in case anyone is still checking in on the BOM, here's my two cents.

Eddie Fechter was fantastic! I got to meet him only once. It was my first big magic convention.....I was about 17, and studied magic pretty intensely, and thought I had it all figured out (some things never change). I had heard that bar magicians were not heavy on sleights and were more focused on entertainment....3 1/2 of clubs, the 20th century bra, etc... So when I heard that Eddie Fechter was a bar magician, I fully expected to not be impressed by his technique. Was I ever surprised! Fechter was very commercial, and his technique was about as good as it gets. After fooling me with lots of things he did, I bought his book and was surprised to find that card to pocket was not done with a duplicate.....he was palming. That change was not a gimmick, he was top changing......he was fooling the pants off me!

He had a very disarming, charming manner. He looked like a tough guy, and not the gentle, kind gentleman that he was. His hands were like catcher's mitts, so you didn't expect precision sleight of hand, but he had excellent technique. And the psychology was wonderful, with everything well thought out.

His book is full of great stuff. His card under the spectator's seat is a masterpiece of psychology and very powerful. I still do this trick about once a year when I want to really surprise people with something offbeat. "Be Honest, What was it?" is another very commercial routine that I do all the time. It is very simple, but that is exactly why it is such a great trick. The presentation is fun, and the final effect, two cards changing and appearing in your pocket......simple to follow, but if done correctly, has a tremendous effect.

Lots of other great stuff in the book........but I just wanted to chime in and say how much I enjoyed his magic and this wonderful book.

now dustin..........when is the next book? are you going to make it the "Book of the Decade?"

John Carney

Postby John Carney » February 20th, 2009, 3:11 pm

In case some are not familiar, Mike Skinner studied under Fechter and was a great admirer.

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » February 20th, 2009, 8:53 pm

I will echo all of the positive statements about Fechter's book. The first time I meet Michael Skinner (1991) he raved about the time he spent at the Forks sitting at the kitchen table with Eddie and others. Eddie's torn and restored cigarette is worth the money as is "Be honest-what is it" like Mr. Carney stated above. I actually bought this book for $15.00 dollars from a guy who did not have a clue. The guy is now performing the square circle at kids birthday parties and is a legend in his own mind. I love the Fechter book! Peace all.

Michael E. Abston

Postby Michael E. Abston » May 8th, 2009, 5:56 pm

I was told about Eddie by Ron Conley, who taught me how to demo and sell magic 36 years ago (it's all his fault!). Ron used to hang out at the bar/rest, back in the day (along with Mike Skinner). I then got the chance to see Eddie work at the Close-up Convention in Greenville SC in 1977. He was in a "battle of the bars" with Tom Mullica! While he and Tom were out of their element, IE their own familiar bars, they were highly entertaining. What fun! This convention also had Frank Garcia, Scotty York, Art Emerson, Jerry Andrus (sp), among others. Eddie was gracious, funny and Damned AMAZING (even with the now politically incorrect "Eskimo Taking a Leak" gag<G>). When "Magician Nightly" came out I immediately bought it. I enjoyed it for many years. When "Fechter" came out, I jumped at the chance to get a copy. It wasn't about the tricks, it was about the memories of that short time I got to see a great entertainer.

AnthonyBrahams

Postby AnthonyBrahams » May 9th, 2009, 6:25 am

There are two wonderful books subtitled "The Magic of Eddie Fechter". The earlier, "Magician Nitely", is smaller and only (only!) contains tricks, sleights and gags. The latter, "Fechter", has many wonderful anecdotes and performance descriptions as well as much more working material.

I echo John Carney's comments 100%. If I could only take one book from my library on a desert island it would be "Fechter". I read it regularly and perform many of the items.
Anthony

Harrison Carroll

Postby Harrison Carroll » October 24th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Wow. Great to read all your comments about Eddie. One never realizes the special moments as much as in reflection. Skinner, Dingle, Okal, Lou and Mike Gallo, so many talented people all influenced by those days at the Forks with Eddie and Karl Norman.

carr443

Postby carr443 » November 2nd, 2009, 1:41 pm

In case anyone is looking to find a copy of this book, as I have been for sometime now, here is some great info. A Bing search over the weekend let me know that When You Wish Magic in California has a few copies left in stock that they discoved stashed away during a recent inventory. When I spoke to them this morning they had 4 copies left! Hope this helps someone have the chance to mark that hard to find book off there wants list!

Mr. Charming

Postby Mr. Charming » November 3rd, 2015, 8:53 pm

There is another book on EF:

http://www.lybrary.com/eddie-fechters-m ... 89920.html

I don't have this but would like to in a near future

performer

Postby performer » November 3rd, 2015, 9:30 pm

Somebody on this thread stated that there was no video of Eddie Fechter at work. There is. I am afraid you will have to enter my blog to see it though. And even then you will have to search for it. However, I will give you a clue. The very second post of the blog has a video of a rather more dynamic character than Eddie Fechter. His name was Eddie also. It is Eddie Tullock the trade show magician. However, at the very end of the Tullock extravanganza at 11 minutes in you will see Eddie Fechter at work.

I think he is quite good but not what I expected. He gets great reaction from his spectators but I know exactly why that is. It is because he is performing on his own territory. Everybody knows him and they are probably regular customers. I expect it would be a lot harder for him outside that environment although I am sure he would still do OK.

It seems to be quiet showmanship. It is quite a contrast to watch after seeing Eddie Tullock at work I must say. Now there is nothing wrong with quiet showmanship of course but I imagined a more colourful character. I suppose after all the things I had heard about him I was expecting more. I just saw a nice quiet guy doing direct magic. Not terrible at all and I am not complaining. I just expected a little more pizazz after all the hype.

Anyway see for yourself. Here is my blog which you might find interesting anyway.

https://marklewistradeshowmagiciansecre ... om/page/2/

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » November 3rd, 2015, 11:25 pm

Mark Lewis, thank you very much for posting and pointing out this footage of Eddie Fechter.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

performer

Postby performer » November 4th, 2015, 5:34 am

You are of course welcome. However, I figured that Eddie Fechter deserved some more footage all to himself rather than as an extra at the tail end of Eddie Tullock which somehow dulls the effect by comparison as Fechter was not a trade show magician and worked in a different environment where a quieter style would be more appropriate.

Luckily I have another blog which is about magic alone rather than specifically trade show work so I decided to post a far longer video of Fechter. I think he deserves a video of his own and you will see nearly 15 minutes of him right here:

https://marklewismagician.wordpress.com ... e-fechter/

Return to “Book of The Month Club”