"Rules" of the Road

This forum is an ongoing, and evolving, discussion. Genii Forum members discuss opinions and trade notes on current and past magic books.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

"Rules" of the Road

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 17th, 2002, 3:40 pm

Greetings!

Since the onus is on me to “get things started,” I thought that it would be best to suggest and solicit some flexible ground rules for this new forum.

There have already been a few suggestions posted, so let's discuss those ideas first.

The idea of doing more than one book a month is an idea I am not all that crazy about. I believe that we should try to remain focused on a single book for a period of time. That period of time does not necessarily need to be a month. A new selection will be made when the current thread begins to lose steam. This could be a month, two months, or even two weeks. Keep in mind that I will keep the threads open to discussion within their own folder for a while longer, so this will lead to the variety desired and suggested by Rick Maue (though I will eventually “lock” them). But as the “moderator,” the responsibility for selecting and opening the threads is on me. Therefore, unless you want to discuss my choices, please email me with your ideas and desires.

Limiting the selections to any particular “age” of book is also too limiting. Though it would be wise to steer away from brand-new books, given their limited distribution within their first few months of publication. Also, please keep in mind that I won't be buying every new book that hits the shelves. This is not to say that I will not open discussions on new books, or on books I don't own. It just means that I will allow time for the masses to digest a new publication, and that I will have little to say myself (see; there's an upside already). The bottom line is, this forum will discuss the books the group wishes to discuss, which is why your emails to me will be an important part of the process. As Richard alluded to, please do not clutter the forum with requests: clutter my inbox.

Keeping to Jack's original idea, the purpose of this forum is to help everyone: beginners and hobbyists (of which I am a part – though I take the study of magic very seriously, and have so for over 30 years); professionals and performing amateurs. This will be a place to ask questions, voice opinions (civilly) and give advice. To those professionals and performing amateurs out there, we ask that you be generous with your knowledge. I've always felt that one of the greatest ways to learn is to teach.

When mulling over my thoughts for this “rules” post, one of the things I considered was to “ban” posts regarding the sticky issue of crediting and “intellectual property.” But I have changed my mind, This is the place that such things should be discussed. However, I will insist that any posts in this area be civil and supported by documented facts, and that you state your source(s). There will be no hearsay accepted. The last thing we want is for these threads to degenerate into an argument of suppositions and personal opinions. It is these types of denigrating arguments that prevent knowledgeable people from getting involved. Let's not turn away someone like Max Maven with such behavior. We would be quite lucky if we could get someone like Max participating in our discussions.

All right – let's hear from you. I hope to have our first title going very soon.

“Talk” to you later,

Dustin
dustin13@cox.net

Re: "Rules" of the Road

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2002, 9:47 pm

Congratulations on your new gig, Dustin. I think this will be fun. Enough with the formalities...name the first book already! :D

Richard James

Postby Richard James » August 18th, 2002, 3:13 am

How about, "The Magic Book" by Harry Lorayne?

It's an old book that was re-published (by L&L I believe) and has plenty of good material.

I have been 'doing' Magic for over 30 years and yet I STILL regularly perform one of the tricks from the book every time I work for Laymen!

Also, the material from the book covers a lot of ground, and is easily accessible by beginners, therefore they too would be able to contribute to this thread.

Anyway, now you have a first suggestion!

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2002, 7:04 am

I have a small suggestion. After the first book is announced, can you let us know what the next book will be before the discussion begins? That way people who don't have the book but would like to obtain and read it can do so before the discussion begins

-alain

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 18th, 2002, 4:42 pm

An interesting idea, Alain, I will consider it. If I do it, it will be in the form of a locked announcement not open to discussion, that's for sure!

Originally posted by Richard James:
...now you have a first suggestion!
Richard;

Actually yours was not the first suggestion; I've had several suggestions emailed to me. I will make note of your idea, but in the future – and this goes for everyone – please email your suggestions to me at dustin13@cox.net.

Thanks!
Dustin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 18th, 2002, 4:50 pm

I don't think it's a good idea to have two threads going on here, so I'm going to lock this one. Please make all of your posts in "Book of the Month Club: Classic Secrets of Magic."
Thank you.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Book of The Month Club”