DMCA Takedown Notice H*ll

Post topics about the business side of magic.
JHostler

DMCA Takedown Notice H*ll

Postby JHostler » July 2nd, 2016, 11:48 am

Good grief...

How many hours have y'all invested in DMCA takedown notices? Can anyone recommend a cost-effective service? Torrents and [seemingly] overseas "dealers" re-market pirated content like malignant cancers.

I'll never again publish an e-book. At least paper demands some effort on the part of these crooks... :evil:

John

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: DMCA Takedown Notice H*ll

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 2nd, 2016, 1:37 pm

Only websites in the US will take stuff down. That's my experience. You can't get stuff off torrent sites. However you are not losing many sales because of this. Kids collect stuff off torrent sites but don't read them--they just collect them.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

lybrary

Postby lybrary » July 2nd, 2016, 2:34 pm

I have successfully terminated pirate sellers on two of the largest Chinese retail platforms. Many other sites do obey DMCA takedowns. Some don't.

BTW paper copies do not protect you. Basically everything is already available digitally. The best way to counter that is to have your own digital edition available. That way the majority will purchase from an honest retailer and not be tempted to download a pirated version.
Lybrary.com http://www.lybrary.com/
preserving magic one book at a time

JHostler

Postby JHostler » July 2nd, 2016, 7:32 pm

Generally speaking, my experience is consistent with Richard's... China & Hong Kong are proving problematic. In at least one case, though, the moron behind the site didn't even bother masking his identity on whois. I invoiced him a few grand for licensing fees. Of course, this will go nowhere - but it's fun trying.

Mahdi Gilbert

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » August 2nd, 2016, 9:37 am

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The people stealing them most likely will never watch or read the material they stole. The same people will never pay for your product in the first place. It's unfortunate that it happens but their is very little legal recourse. Even 'legitimate' sites like scribd.com are flooded constantly with illegal uploads.

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”