Abbott's Magic

Post topics about the business side of magic.
degrisy
Favorite Magician: Tamariz

Abbott's Magic

Postby degrisy » March 20th, 2015, 9:36 am

Someone tried to buy from Abbott's Magic from their site?

I would like to get an inexpensive but interesting pdf booklet for immediate download but, for some reason, the payment via paypal cannot be completed and if you try to get in touch with them they simply ignore your request.

To me it is the worst site on the net and the most difficult people to deal with, but I would like to know your experience with them.
Ars longa, vita brevis

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Abbott's Magic

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 20th, 2015, 10:48 am

The "worst site on the net"? I don't think so.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

degrisy

Postby degrisy » March 20th, 2015, 11:42 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:The "worst site on the net"? I don't think so.

Yes it is, a site where they sell items that you cannot buy.
Ars longa, vita brevis

Aaron Sterling

Postby Aaron Sterling » March 20th, 2015, 11:54 am

I've purchased one thing from Abbott's web site. It was an out of print book that no one else seemed to have. Over $100 before shipping. I paid by PayPal, and received the book, in good shape, in 5 days. So I'm a satisfied customer.

I've found that quite a few magic dealers don't return emails promptly, or at all. My advice: use the phone. Web sites are often inaccurate, at least when it comes to books and pamphlets that have been stocked for a while.

I've received the best customer service, by far, from Magic Warehouse and Ellusionist. Prompt and informed responses to questions. The fastest shipper for a one man operation has been Steve Fearson.

Hope this helps.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » March 20th, 2015, 12:00 pm

I purchased a pdf book today using PayPal without a problem.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 20th, 2015, 12:35 pm

It's been awhile but I have had excellent results, including downloading .pdfs.

degrisy

Postby degrisy » March 20th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Smurf wrote:I purchased a pdf book today using PayPal without a problem.

Happy to know that you could complete the payment. Mine is refused for security issues: I first tried to buy something about one year ago, without success; every now and then I have tried again always with the same negative result, also no answer to my messages. I use paypal a lot, always without problems, but with Abbott... no way:

We are unable to process your payment request at this time. In accordance with our ongoing efforts to protect our customers, the payment method you specified has been blocked. Please contact us at your convenience to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The fact is that some of their items are not available elsewhere.
Ars longa, vita brevis

Smurf

Postby Smurf » March 20th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Perhaps you know someone who can purchase them for you and email them to you. It shouldn't be too hard if you have some contacts in the U.S. Of course I would add that I would want to make sure that was OK and not a violation of terms.

Dale
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Dale » March 21st, 2015, 3:09 am

I had the exact same problem. Tried to buy one of the cheap PDFs from Abbotts and it wouldn't let me pay by paypal.

I emailed their tech support, got an immediate reply saying they do have trouble with that section for some reason and asked me to email my order. So I told them the two PDFs I wanted, they emailed back with links to the PDFs which I could access immediately and sent me an invoice via PayPal. It was brilliant customer service.

magicgettogether

Postby magicgettogether » April 23rd, 2015, 6:37 am

Hi, I just wanted to clarify the issue with Paypal. This usually seems to happen when customers outside the U.S. order downloads through our Godaddy shopping cart. It does not happen all the time only a certain percentage of overseas and Canadian orders, although there have been a couple exceptions.

When this started (during the 2013 Get Together about 18 months ago) we would get maybe one bounceback every month or two, now we are getting one or two a week. At first we concentrated on the Godaddy store but they convinced us it was a paypal issue. After literally months paypal finally said it was "probably" on their end, but have done nothing to resolve it.

We do have a trouble ticket in with paypal who has been less than receptive on this problem. We also are scheduled for a store update in May or June which will change one of the variables and hopefully alleviate the problem.

When this occurs, customers can email me their orders (my webmaster email is on the site) and I can send the info via email or a link to download depending on the size. Payments are made through paypal but directly into our paypal account and not through the store, this always works with very few exceptions.

We regret the inconvenience to our overseas (and Canadian) customers and are still working with paypal to resolve it. Our $4 downloads have been a very successful project over the last 6 years and to have their success dampered by a paypal glitch and upset customers is very frustrating to us to say the least.

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”