Are You Living Your Passion?

Post topics about the business side of magic.
Lou Serrano

Re: Are You Living Your Passion?

Postby Lou Serrano » March 25th, 2011, 4:11 am

Hi John,

No relation to Ricky Serrano. At least none that I know of.

Raleigh,

Thanks for your comment.

Lou

KirkG

Postby KirkG » March 25th, 2011, 4:50 am

Hmm, the title of this forum is marketing and magic business. Lou didn't post any direct sales offers, but his signature leads to his website as do other participants.

I think this is the ideal place for Lou to share his blog and video contributions. These are small encapsulated ideas on marketing and seems very appropriate to be here.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 25th, 2011, 11:25 am

Does anyone _seriously_ believe that Lou's posts are not designed to drive traffic to his blog? Seriously?

I'm not necessarily condemning the action, but to claim otherwise is like trying to argue black is white.

If Lou is really offering this information out of the goodness of his heart, perhaps he should point to a blog that is devoid of outgoing links. That way, if people want to know more about his courses they can google him to get the other address. Or, just post the blog text here.

Otherwise, I call shenanigans.

Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » March 25th, 2011, 11:38 am

Ian Kendall wrote:Does anyone _seriously_ believe that Lou's posts are not designed to drive traffic to his blog? Seriously?

I'm not necessarily condemning the action, but to claim otherwise is like trying to argue black is white.

If Lou is really offering this information out of the goodness of his heart, perhaps he should point to a blog that is devoid of outgoing links. That way, if people want to know more about his courses they can google him to get the other address. Or, just post the blog text here.

Otherwise, I call shenanigans.

Ian,

I completely agree with you. What are my motives? Read my very first response to Richard Kaufman's initial comment.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano

SteveP

Postby SteveP » March 25th, 2011, 1:40 pm

I don't see how Lou is doing anything different than what Dodd Vickers does. Dodd will post something brief here and then link to his site for you to read/watch/listen there. There are times when he posts something here, links it to his site, doesn't give much on his site accept a link to another site.

It must be the stigma attached to the dreaded "magic marketer" and unfortunately they all seem to be lumped together. Having dealt with most of them personally I can tell you there is a world of difference between Lou and Millard Grubb for example. Millard comes to a forum and basically says "buy my stuff". Lou is providing actual content. While all that content may not be here, there is real content on his site, not just a teaser. He doesn't say "read the Top 10 techniques to better business cards" and when you go to his site, he gives you 5 of them and you have to buy his product for the other 5. Each post is complete and provides the information he states.

So what's the real problem here? If you know every post is going to be a link back to his site and you're not interested, then ignore it.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 25th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Steve, that is a great post.

And even though Richard took a shot across Lou's bow, you'll notice that he hasn't asked (and he has not directed Jim or me to ask) Lou to stop. (And besides, we all know that Lou has steel balls.)

Dustin

Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » March 25th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Steve,

I know we've had our issues in the past, and you certainly didn't have to post your thoughts on this thread, but I respect you for doing so.

Wishing you continued success,

Lou Serrano

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 25th, 2011, 6:12 pm

I also feel that dodd's posts which require one to visit his site are essentially free advertising. I think the issue comes in the 'go to my site for the rest of the story/video". If you want to post information for your fellow magicians, that's great. But the literal linking of your posted (and intentionally incomplete) content to your self confessed marketing tool is parasitic.

YYou write: ", because a few people here on this forum have an issue with the way I run my business."

So, you are using this forum as a tool in your business?

Is that what this forum is for - your businUess? Maybe you believe everything is fair game as long as it serves YOUR purposes. Seems selfish and greedy to
me.

As a forum reader, I feel this is taking advantage of the forum for your personal gain. If it's really about gving information, give it and be done with it.

Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » March 25th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Brad,

Once again, continue on your rant. Maybe you can rally support for your cause.

Lou Serrano

SteveP

Postby SteveP » March 25th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Brad,

The solution to YOUR problem is really simple. Don't read Lou's posts.

You are one of many forum readers and others may not feel that he is taking advantage of the forum for his personal gain.

Dustin Stinett wrote:And even though Richard took a shot across Lou's bow, you'll notice that he hasn't asked (and he has not directed Jim or me to ask) Lou to stop.

As far as I can see, there's really no problem.

Brad, as much as you want to, you cannot be the ethical conscience for all of magic.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 25th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Lou, I am glad to know that people who share you opinion are the voice of reason and any dissenting opinion is gibberish or a rant.

Steve,

Not trying to be the ethical conscious of anything. Just a forum member expressing his opinions. Like you are

Still wondering why these posts have to be incomplete and link to a site designed for personal gain. Why can't the information just be shared?

Would Lou post this info of it wasn't just a ploy to market at people?

Why can't we be honest about what we do? Why hide behind semantics and loopholes unless, at some level, we know what we are doing is "wrong" or at least runs counter to the intent of the rules.

But hey, why care what anyone else thinks. Get what you can however you can.

Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » March 25th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Brad,

You can continue to beat a dead horse if you like, but you'll find all the answers to your questions by simply re-reading my comments.

Lou Serrano

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 25th, 2011, 9:07 pm

And I think now is a fine time to lock this down. I think we've all had our say, yes?

Thanks,
Dustin

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”