Restaurant Question

Post topics about the business side of magic.
Matt Sedlak

Restaurant Question

Postby Matt Sedlak » May 22nd, 2009, 5:14 pm

Hey all. I wanted to ask the restaurant workers out there a question. I'm about to start working for a restaurant that is part of a large national chain. The other day one of my friends, who bartends at a local, non-chain, restaurant told me that she was talking to the owner about me and that he was interested in getting a magician. Now the two restaurants are about 45 minutes away from each other and I doubt they would get the same customers but I was wondering if it would create a conflict. What do you guys think?

Joe Skilton

Re: Restaurant Question

Postby Joe Skilton » May 22nd, 2009, 5:31 pm

Hey Matt,

I know A LOT of restaurant workers in Los Angeles (I work two restaurants myself), and I can honestly say that there is absolutely NO conflict here.

In the past, my restaurants have been as little as 5 miles apart, and there's never been an issue. If a restaurant owner wants exclusivity, then I'd insist on a 2 or 3 day per week minimum. (Thurs., Fri. & Sat.) But I've never met one who wanted exclusivity.

By the way, getting the same customers from different restaurants is a GOOD thing. You want people to ask where you are performing, and who ask the management about you when they make reservations.

Good luck!
Joe Skilton

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » May 22nd, 2009, 5:31 pm

Unless you are restricted by contractual obligations with the first restaurant, you should be free to work where you want. That the second place is 45 minutes away should pose no problem or conflict.

Take the gig and work all you can.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 22nd, 2009, 8:41 pm

Do you have a contract? Does it have a "non-competiton" clause in it? If not, then you are free to work anywhere you like.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » May 23rd, 2009, 12:14 am

Not only is not a problem, it's very good to have at least two public venues...if one falls through for whatever reason, you're still out in front of prospective clients while replacing the lost venue

Dynamike

Postby Dynamike » November 23rd, 2009, 8:05 pm

I see no problem with performing at both of them. I hope you good luck.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 23rd, 2009, 9:26 pm

45 minutes is a long way. Don't even give it a second thought. I once worked at one night club and after I had done so I would walk RIGHT NEXT DOOR to another one! And I did so for a whole week. I thought there would be repercussions but nary a word. And both clubs knew I was working next door.

It was over 40 years ago and to my astonishment both clubs are still there right next door to each other although one has changed the name. They are both in Swallow Street, London, a tiny street just off Regent Street if I remember correctly.

Sadad

Postby Sadad » January 23rd, 2012, 12:47 am

Hi,
Matt sedlak

Do you have a contract?If you have no contract with any party you are free to work anywhere you like. :mad:[color:#FF0000][/color]

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”