Good Venues for Close-up magic lectures

Post topics about the business side of magic.
rkosby

Good Venues for Close-up magic lectures

Postby rkosby » May 27th, 2008, 1:57 am

I thought it would be useful for close-up magicians who do lectures to recommend their favorite locations.

I just lectured at Barry's Magic Shop in Rockville MD last week. It had:

tiered seating for forty
air conditioning
a sound system
a big screen
snacks during the break
a web site promoting the lecture with a photo and video (they shot and edited the video)

Everyone could see, even when they were in the back and the trick was on the table. They were able to attract 32 attendees for my lecture. For me that was a big crowd. The attendees had a wide range of skills. They stayed awake. Sales were great for DVDs, lecture notes, and packaged tricks. I don't lecture much but to me this was a great spot.

What spots do you recommend?

Ray Kosby

RogueMD

Re: Good Venues for Close-up magic lectures

Postby RogueMD » May 28th, 2008, 9:38 am

Mr Kosby-

Sorry I cant comment on the question you posed but I wanted to say how awesome it is to see you here on this forum!

I am definitely a "fan" of your work and would travel quite far to see your lecture. Do you have an itinerary?

Thank you...and welcome!
Michael

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » May 28th, 2008, 11:53 pm

Mr. Kosby,

Midwest Magic (midwestmagic.net) in Franklin Park, IL. which is 5 minutes from O'Hare Airport and 10 minutes or so from Chicago. Great shop and owner and a good group of very supportive magic guys. One side is set up with a small stage and lecture area. Average lectures get 20-25 people. More popular lecturers, which you would certainly be, draw upwards of 50. Hope you do make it through the Chicago area. I would love to see your lecture. Really have enjoyed your tapes.

rkosby

Postby rkosby » May 29th, 2008, 1:57 am

Thanks Michael and Tom. I'm glad you like my work. I hope I get a chance to lecture in Chicago one day.

I'm lecturing at the Magic Castle on August 31. I'm also lecturing at the Carolina Close-up Convention in Charlotte, NC on September 26th, and 27th (http://www.tricsconvention.com/). That's all I have planned for this year.

Ray

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » May 29th, 2008, 3:58 pm

rkosby wrote:I thought it would be useful for close-up magicians who do lectures to recommend their favorite locations.

I just lectured at Barry's Magic Shop in Rockville MD last week. It had:

tiered seating for forty
air conditioning
a sound system
a big screen
snacks during the break
a web site promoting the lecture with a photo and video (they shot and edited the video)

Everyone could see, even when they were in the back and the trick was on the table. They were able to attract 32 attendees for my lecture. For me that was a big crowd. The attendees had a wide range of skills. They stayed awake. Sales were great for DVDs, lecture notes, and packaged tricks. I don't lecture much but to me this was a great spot.

What spots do you recommend?

Ray Kosby

It sounds like Barry's new shop is a perfect venue for a close up lecture. Getting 32 people to your lecture is a great turnout and it sounds like everything went well. Good to have you back Ray.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

ChastainCriswell

Postby ChastainCriswell » June 7th, 2008, 10:44 am

Thanks Ray it was great meeting you in Fayetteville. Can't wait for September it is going to be a blast. Anyone wanting to come please register early to be eligible for all the great prizes. One being the grand prize of a free registration and a accommodation's. for TRICS 2009!!! SEE YOU ALL THERE. TRICS 2008

Chastain Criswell

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”