looking for trick inventors

Post topics about the business side of magic.
conjurer999

looking for trick inventors

Postby conjurer999 » April 28th, 2008, 11:34 am

Hello,
I am looking for inventors who have created a new trick and are looking to market them, I represent a very old and established magic company and we are currently reviewing submissions from trick inventors. If you have a trick that you created and would like to market it, please email me conjurer999@gmail.com with the details of your trick (we are looking for presentation and effect, please do not reveal method in email), and your contact information. If we are interested in your trick we will contact you.
Thank You

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: looking for trick inventors

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 28th, 2008, 11:58 am

I think you'll need to give us a few more details about who you work for.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 28th, 2008, 12:28 pm

This sounds a lot like those scams you see in music magazines -- "Set your song poems to music." You pay them -- they don't pay you -- which is, of course, backwards.

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » April 28th, 2008, 12:42 pm

I was thinking the same thing.

Wouldn't an old and established company have something more than a generic, public, free email for their professional representative?

In an industry like ours, wouldn't you expect an old and established company would have someone with a name recognized in the industry posting such a request?
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 28th, 2008, 2:01 pm

Aww come on, it's a creative writing test - see what you can write to lure those critters into revealing what they're up to.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

JimChristianson

Postby JimChristianson » April 28th, 2008, 5:56 pm

I have a new trick. Any card called-for rises from a shuffled deck out a houlette. Even the face card of the pack. The houlette can be suspended from ribbons. Doesn't travel well, has only been performed a couple of times in the last 60 years or so...

Interested?

Email me at DrHooker@gmail.com

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 28th, 2008, 6:41 pm

Tricks? Hookers? Stuff rising? Jim, I think you should be posting over on Spitzer.com

conjurer999

Postby conjurer999 » May 22nd, 2008, 8:55 am

Sorry to be so mysterious.
I am the New Business & Marketing contact at UMSI INC.
35 Year Magic Dealers Association MEMBER
Our President is an IBM Order of Merlin Member. I asure you this is no scam, I did not give my business e-mail which is CZiznewski@umsimagictricks.com because I felt a certain amount af anonymity was appropriate, I guess I was wrong...sorry. If anyone is an inventor and would like to seriously discuss the possibility of your trick being manufacturered and/or marketed I would love to talk to you.
www.umsimagictricks.com
www.abra4magic.com

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » June 27th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Well, I'm certainly impressed with the openness and integrity of this company. Check this out from their abra4magic.com web site

http://www.abra4magic.com/Merchant2/mer ... _Code=A252

Note that Steve Duscheck's name is not mentioned anywhere.

The line to sign up with these people forms right behind me!

NOT!
Bill Palmer, MIMC

ChastainCriswell

Postby ChastainCriswell » June 29th, 2008, 10:17 pm

I agree with Bill ... however that particular trick has been around the block and back again as far as makers go. Isn't there a point where you can't blame the seller? I have been knocked off and well I am sure many folks are selling the knock off ... and I don't blame them ... I blame the person with the nerve to knock off a trick that not only did I put a lot into but the person marketing the effect lost out as well. I know that as a magic enthusiast the seller should think twice before selling knock offs but they have to also think of keeping their heads above water. In magic it is tough to determine right from wrong when it comes to making and selling magic tricks ... but it is also hard to determine if a trick is full property of the inventor nor not.

Anyway ... very tough ... VERY!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 29th, 2008, 11:01 pm

! Did Steve Dusheck give permission to any maker to offer is Wonderbar?

Don't blame the dealers when the market is so demand driven and besides they are just being good capitalist entrepreneurs.

Care to discuss the demand side of the market?
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on June 29th, 2008, 11:07 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: please don't ask me to condone your complicity in what you know to be wrongdoing.

ChastainCriswell

Postby ChastainCriswell » July 4th, 2008, 7:58 am

Not sure if that is towards me but, I am not condoning anything ... I believe it to be wrong. However how far can you take it? All magic shops (brick and morter - and online) would have to either close shop and do extensive research and lose tons of money or they would have to shut their doors forever. The fight is not at the shop level it is at the level of the person that is knocking off. IF it is a "shop" that is knocking off then of course fight the shop. So if this company is the ones "knocking off" the product then yes they are wrong, but if they simply bought it not knowing then get the knock off artist. As for the demand ... it does become a demand once the internet comes into play. Not a huge demand like McDonald's burgers, magic is not serving billions of people a day but for the magic shop owner yes there is a demand.

Still not condoning
Chastain

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » July 4th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:! Did Steve Dusheck give permission to any maker to offer is Wonderbar?

Don't blame the dealers when the market is so demand driven and besides they are just being good capitalist entrepreneurs.

Care to discuss the demand side of the market?

Jon, are you trying to be provocative or obtuse?

Are you suggesting that if a trick's inventor can't supply the market demand for his product then other manufacturers suddenly have the right to produce knock-offs to satisfy the supply?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 4th, 2008, 9:42 pm

The attentive reader will of course have noticed the parallel to our "war on drugs" and our aversion to discussing the basic questions regarding that which fosters and profits from those who have a rabbit or monkey on their backs demanding a fix.

I guess that would be provocative.

Now let's sit back and find out how well we've gotten distracted from the base issue of why folks are so eager to buy things regardless of what those items mean to the few who do invent.

Addicts can have amazing defense mechanisms in place to protect the roots of their addiction. Magician, fool thyself.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on July 4th, 2008, 9:52 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: is that a rabbit on your back or are you just that happy to see me?

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » July 5th, 2008, 4:49 pm

That's a bad excuse Chastain. When Steve unveiled that trick at the IBM convention in Little Rock, it was an instant sellout. People bought it because they didn't know how to find the IT that was used to make it. Most magicians at the time did not receive Ken Brooke's lists, and they were really taken by the trick. Many feel that Wonderbar was the trick that really put IT into the hands of the average magician. Note that the original came with a test tube and a cork, just like the one on the Abra4Magic.com web site.

Do you think that these people are not well enough informed to know that this trick is a knockoff? I seriously doubt it. It's like the guy who walks over to the junkyard with an air conditioner condenser coil and says, "Hey, man! I found this near the side of the road. How much will you give me for it?"

Steve has learned, just as have some of the other really creative people in magic, that the open market is a wonderful place to get your material knocked off and watered down. So they publish their material privately and only to those who have proven not to be likely to send them off to the copyists.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » July 9th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:This sounds a lot like those scams you see in music magazines -- "Set your song poems to music." You pay them -- they don't pay you -- which is, of course, backwards.

I was getting those for a while.
I have no faith in stuff, when
when they say they are looking
for material to be recorded for
Faith Hill, Britney Spears etc
etc whatever blah blah blah.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Rennie

Postby Rennie » August 2nd, 2008, 10:53 am

The reason Steve Dusheck quit marketing his many effects was because he was tired of being ripped off. I totally agree with Bill on this subject. Steve would be inventing new stuff today if it was not for the unscrupulous people out there making money off his ideas.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”