Canadian working trade show in U.S.

Post topics about the business side of magic.

Canadian working trade show in U.S.

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2007, 10:10 am

Greetings, I will be doing magic at quite a few trade shows in the U.S. this year, hired by a Canadian company, and paid by a Canadian company...do I need a work visa or anything else (besides a passport, of course!)?

Thank you, in advance, for your replies.

Bob Farmer

Re: Canadian working trade show in U.S.

Postby Bob Farmer » February 14th, 2007, 10:29 am

As soon as you show up at the border (or the airport) without the right visa, you'll be turned away.

You need to have your employer get you the right visa through an immigration lawyer. Figure on $1,500 for expenses. I use David Garson in Toronto (Guberman, Garson & Bush -- 1-416-363-1234).

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2007, 10:31 am

Listen to Bob Farmer, he knows what he's talking about. If you are doing a good job and getting a decent fee for the shows, the client should foot the bill without any problem.

Mark

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 14th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Of course, you can also do this yourself right at the border.

When the U.S. immigration officer asks you the purpose of your trip,say, "I have come to conquer your people and subjugate them like dogs."

Immigration officers are well known for their great sense of humour and they'll give you special treatment immediately.

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2007, 9:41 pm

There are two Bob Farmers, one a highly respected member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the other some kind of loon.

I see that both of them have posted in response to your question--ignore the second one, you wouldn't enjoy the "special treatment."

If you want a British Columbia immigration lawyer, instead of the excellent Toronto lawyer recommended by Bob Farmer the Sane, (who really does know what he's talking about)then you can pick one from this list.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 15th, 2007, 4:30 am

Explaining the joke is usually an affliction of one who was the last guy in the room to get it in the first place.

Picking a lawyer from a list is a really bad idea: lawyers, like magicians, come in a complete range of abilities and competence. Remember, somebody had to graduate at the bottom of the class in law school too. Pick a lawyer based on references from other people.

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2007, 7:53 am

Just about a week ago, a performer from Switzerland, who shall remain nameless, was turned away at the Charlotte airport, along with his assistant and her fiancee. He had failed to obtain the proper visa. The thing that tipped them off was the printed out contracts for his lecture tour.

He can't return for another year.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 15th, 2007, 9:43 am

That guy's lucky -- U.S. Immigration has the right to bar you for 5 years and there is no appeal of that decision.

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Thanks so much for your help...I will talk to a lawyer...I certiantly didn't know it would be such a big deal. I guess I figured because it was a Canadian company, I would be O.K. So, this visa I need, how long is it good for? I have searched the net for info but have been unable to find any relevant information...thanks again for the help!

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 15th, 2007, 2:34 pm

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2007, 8:26 am

Thanks Bob, for the advice...I will check with my lawyer...

Cheers!

Yeeri

Postby Yeeri » June 17th, 2010, 2:13 am

how did it work out for you?

Informer
Favorite Magician: Paul Potassy

Postby Informer » November 6th, 2013, 5:19 am

Sorry.
Last edited by Informer on November 6th, 2013, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 6th, 2013, 7:55 am

It's not prudent to rely on a letter from the U.S. government. You're always at the mercy of the immigration officer who interviews you--who may have been on the job a short time and may not agree with that letter. There's also the possibility they'll bar you for five years.

Yes, I'm not an immigration lawyer, which is why I use the immigration lawyer noted above. Anyone I represent has the visa in place BEFORE they arrive at the border.

Never trust one immigration officer to agree with another.
Last edited by Bob Farmer on November 6th, 2013, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » November 6th, 2013, 8:57 am

Allan Ackerman told us a horror story last year about trying to enter Canada, passing himself off as a tourist. Unfortunately he had multiple copies of one of his books with him -- I think it was Las Vegas Kardma -- and the authorities were displeased. They completely disassembled his auto looking for more, over an eight-hour task.

These guys are serious, on both sides of the border.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » November 6th, 2013, 10:26 am

While I'm sure (OK, I'm not sure) informer was only trying to assist with a question asked 6 years ago, it's a tiny bit presumptuous to imply (as informer has) that the best way to enter the U.S. is to simply follow his internet advice and show up at the border (to work in the U.S.) without documentation or representation, but rather a copy of a letter downloaded from the internet, or similarly a copy of one having arrived in your email in-box.

No, Mr. Farmer's advice remains today as astute as it was 6 years ago when he originally offered it.
Consult with an immigration lawyer who specializes in the practice, and arrive at the border with the appropriate signed and dated paperwork in your hands.

And never presume that a U.S. Government website, email, or general enquiry response in any way represents anything close to "the law".

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 6th, 2013, 11:05 am

It's too bad that Miami Vice still isn't on. I'd love to see the episode where Rico and Tubbs bust open a lecture-note smuggling cartel. Rowdy Roddy Piper could play Ackerman.-- "Lookit, I came here to second deal and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta bubblegum."

Informer

Postby Informer » November 6th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Sorry.
Last edited by Informer on November 6th, 2013, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 6th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Hmm, my spidey sense is tingling...

RK, check the IP of the poster above, see if it's a public library in Canada...

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 6th, 2013, 3:53 pm

I sense the man whose name cannot be mentioned here but whose initials are ML.

Nothing like giving someone good advice and having your motives questioned and your colleagues insulted.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 6th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Has ML left the building yet?

Informer

Postby Informer » November 6th, 2013, 10:52 pm

I have just given valuable information which may be useful for those Canadians who wish to work in the United States without going through the expensive and unnecessary process of hiring a lawyer. Since this advice appears to be unwelcome I have deleted it.

Perhaps Mr Goat will advise you on how foreigners can work in the United States since I happen to know that he has done so himself. I have a feeling that he did not hire a lawyer to do so. I do hope he found a legal way to do it. Or did he?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 7th, 2013, 1:40 am

ML has left the PLANET.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 7th, 2013, 5:31 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:ML has left the PLANET.

One can dream...

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”