Quotes

Post topics about the business side of magic.

Quotes

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2007, 1:33 pm

Does anyone know the laws regarding using Celebrity quotes in public, I had the opportunity to perform for a well known person, and he reacted. Is it legal for me to use his statement in advertising.

thanks
Chris

Re: Quotes

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2007, 1:47 pm

Not without his permission I would wager

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 22nd, 2007, 2:43 pm

If the person said it, you should be able to use it as a "quote"... all they can do LATER is ask you to delete it.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2007, 3:15 pm

Is it possible that if the celebrity is a jerk that they will come back and charge your $20,000 for having their quote on your website due to some bizarre legal do-dah I know nothing about?

The reason I ask this is what if (completely hypothetically, of course) a magician invented a trick and a famous magician bought it for a nice chunk of change.

The inventor was happy and put the celebrity's photo on his website.

Before the inventor ever got paid, the celebrity magician billed the inventor for the exact same amount the inventor was asking for his invention for promotional usage of his photo.

Without the legal team behind him, the inventor ends up with no money for his invention, afterall.

... that sort of thing.

Just to bee safe, I'd ask.

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2007, 10:01 pm

The right thing to do is to ask the celebrity. The best time to ask the celebrity is when they are still recovering from the impact of the trick.

If you have them on a broadcast of some sort saying "WOW! That's the best I've ever seen!" you can probably quote that without any repercussions.

Some rather well-known magicians have made it a habit to quote celebrities without these celebrities even having said anything about them. One I know even misspelled a celebrity's name in his promo pack.

The use of the image may pose a probem, though. Some celebrities have their images trademarked.

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”