The Works

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
qkeli

Re: The Works

Postby qkeli » April 9th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Do you know should we have some news maybe ?
chacun de nous est magique, combien le realisent et combien partent trop vite...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 9th, 2017, 8:21 pm

I have heard from the powers that be that more material will be coming shortly.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

qkeli

Postby qkeli » April 10th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Ok thanks
chacun de nous est magique, combien le realisent et combien partent trop vite...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2017, 12:05 pm

This from the company in an email today:

"As many of you may have noticed, we are behind on both Psience and The Works. Michael Weber had a death in his family, so it put writing on hold. A tremendous amount of time, effort, thinking, and research goes into each issue, and we want to ensure that you only get the best. The good news is that work has resumed, so members will receive the latest issues over the next week or two. We appreciate your patience and the kind sentiments from members who sent their condolences to Michael during this difficult time."

jayadkins
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby jayadkins » May 9th, 2017, 8:00 am

anyone heard anymore yet as were were promised new issues of the works and Psience over two weeks ago.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 9th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Not yet.

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » May 9th, 2017, 2:46 pm

I think Mr. Adkins should direct his inquiries to the folks that publish the Works and Psience...

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » May 9th, 2017, 11:37 pm

Why? The publishers have the means to communicate with their customers, and have chosen not to do so.

jayadkins

Postby jayadkins » May 10th, 2017, 5:15 am

Bibliophage wrote:I think Mr. Adkins should direct his inquiries to the folks that publish the Works and Psience...

I have contacted them on various occasions last time I asked about it I was harshly told that if I wasn't happy to return the box ! Even though I have been a supporter of real secrets , psience, everyday wonders and now the works. I feel the money that we have paid we shouldn't have to chase it up I know that there has been a bereavement and this is very sad however this was promoted at Blackpool 2016 on Michael's stand. I can't work out how they knew what to put in the box if the write ups hadn't been done? This will probably get me into trouble with Tim and Michael but for the cost we have paid it needs sorting

performer

Postby performer » May 10th, 2017, 7:27 am

I have noticed over the years that non delivery of products seems to happen a lot where magic merchandise is concerned. It is very rarely deliberate and is usually the result of inefficiency or in some cases financial problems. For this reason I very rarely buy online and only when I am forced to.

And from the vendor's point of view it can be a losing battle because if something doesn't arrive or a customer is overly impatient then it is all over the internet whereas in years past you could get away with it.

I sell a few products myself but am almost paranoic about getting the bloody stuff off my hands as soon as possible. I feel very uncomfortable if I have someone's money and still have the merchandise in my possession. I procrastinate over all sorts of things but in this case I feel too uncomfortable to procrastinate. It is such a relief to get the damn things off my hands. I know that I hate processing orders but I know it will get worse if I don't get it over with.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 10th, 2017, 9:52 am

I have no doubt Michael and Tim will deliver. I prefer they take the time they need and get it right. Same goes for the Journal of Psience, I prefer Michael to release something worthwhile as opposed to some lesser effect because he feels pressured to release a new issue.

Losing someone can slow you down for a while...

jayadkins

Postby jayadkins » May 10th, 2017, 2:45 pm

PickaCard wrote:I have no doubt Michael and Tim will deliver. I prefer they take the time they need and get it right. Same goes for the Journal of Psience, I prefer Michael to release something worthwhile as opposed to some lesser effect because he feels pressured to release a new issue.

Losing someone can slow you down for a while...

So it's fine to wait for 9 months for a issue of psience? And you don't think that's a stupidly long time to remember that you still have outstanding items that you have subscribed to? Don't you feel that you would lose track of what you paid for

And same for the works we haven't had a issue since January the original ad stated each month again a huge period that items can get forgotten

I agree not to publish crap however the time delays are crazy bearing in mind over £300 for this item we shouldn't be the ones chasing

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 10th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Under normal circumstances, you are absolutely correct. Under Michael's circumstances, give the guy a break.

Keep in mind that these subscriptions are like subscribing to Michael Weber's creative output. I am a big fan on Michael's work. I have seen him lecture and he exceeded my expectations. I would rather he gives us his best as opposed to some rushed item because he feels he has to give something to the few who are complaining.

I only subscribe to 3 things, the other being Genii, so I guess I do not feel there is too much to keep track of. What else are you subscribing to? Anything to recommend?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 10th, 2017, 3:23 pm

I totally understand (and sometimes feel the frustration as well). There are several big names who owe me stuff (some of which is likely never, ever coming--with no refunds forthcoming either. I'm not happy about that, but on balance, the excellent products I've received largely outnumber the few thefts.)

Unfortunately, that often comes part and parcel with ordering future items from a cottage industry. At lot of it is based on trust. I've known Michael since I was a teen, and he has never let me down. I trust Webrono to come through, which is why I was willing to put out the dough in the first place.

In a perfect world, I concur, we shouldn't be chasing. However, as we all know, the world's not perfect, so I decline to chase--especially in light of the bereavement.

I certainly do not begrudge other consumers the right to do so, nor do I judge them for complaining--this is just my personal take on things.

performer

Postby performer » May 11th, 2017, 6:19 am

I am not going to comment on this particular situation specifically. However, the little I know about mail order generally--and I am not just talking about the magic business---is that it is absolutely fatal not to fulfill orders. Customers really don't care what your personal problems are. They have paid for merchandise and they want what they have paid for. It may be harsh but it is reality. There is no excuse short of nuclear war not to send merchandise or to delay orders. Moreover it is the kiss of death to your business which will make your personal problems even worse.

The difference with the magic business is that everyone knows each other and that makes it much harder. Customers tend to be more forgiving if they know you. However, the downside is that knowledge of
non fulfillment of orders spreads like wildfire. It only takes two or three complainants on the internet and then you are done for no matter who defends you. And creative types who sell their creativity are not generally good business people. Even before the days of the internet there have been complaints about very well known people in magic putting stuff out on the market and not fulfilling orders.

It would behoove those who put out material for sale to have a back up plan if things go haywire. They should plan in advance what they would do if things happen in their lives which might disrupt their business. If they are professional performers who travel, for example, they should arrange for someone to fill the orders while they are away, or if there is some upheaval in their lives they should plan in advance for this by asking an employee or a friend to take over the work temporarily.

One disturbing trend I have noticed is that certain magic vendors who have a one man mail order operation have chronic mental health problems or suffer from alcoholism. This is a recipe for disaster and they probably shouldn't even attempt to sell merchandise through the mail or internet in the first place. It will only compound their problems and make them even worse.

And if someone is having financial problems and tries to sell stuff by mail in order to rectify those problems that is a situation fraught with danger too. If you deal with someone who is having financial problems you are very likely not to see your money or your merchandise again.

From a customer's point of view you should be very careful who you buy from. Make sure it is someone with a sterling reputation and someone you can trust. And most importantly a good track record in fulfilling orders.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » May 11th, 2017, 11:04 am

I recall 40 years ago, I bought one of my first "real" magic books "The Book Of John". I remember reading the Foreword and thinking "Sheesh! What a Dick!". Here some guy is delivering a book, apparently very late and was less than promised and the basis he took the money. We got a sob story and an unapologetic stick-it, from my perspective. Ironically, it is still one of my favorite books.

Over the years, I've learned he was one of the better ones. As a subscriber to Hierophant, Talisman, West Coast Quarterly, some of Buzzbee's stuff, et. al. I received bupkis. Today I have one subscription (Genii) and never buy a pre-publication anything.

I'm unceasingly amazed at magicians' absolute willingness to take it in the shorts and then make apologies for the seller / producer. I'm a fair guy and understand problems happen - some worse than others. It takes MINUTES to write a quick email to a list and update customers. Silence is inexcusable.
Hell is empty and all of the devils are here. - William Shakespeare

performer

Postby performer » May 11th, 2017, 11:15 am

I agree with the silence. That is what bugs customers more than anything else. If the worst happens (and it shouldn't) then the very first thing you must do is contact the customer and tell them what is happening. They still won't be deliriously happy but at least the sting of it will be taken away.

I learned a long time ago that if you owe money to someone and cannot pay then you should NEVER hide from them. That only makes it worse. Just tell them upfront that times are hard and you cannot pay and they will have to wait a while. They won't like it but they will like it even less if you try to avoid them and hide. That is the very worst thing you can do.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 11th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Steve Mills wrote:I'm unceasingly amazed at magicians' absolute willingness to take it in the shorts and then make apologies for the seller / producer. I'm a fair guy and understand problems happen - some worse than others. It takes MINUTES to write a quick email to a list and update customers. Silence is inexcusable.

Steve, you are right. If it were not for this thread on Genii, I would not know what was going on with my two subscriptions...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 11th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Steve Mills wrote:I recall 40 years ago, I bought one of my first "real" magic books "The Book Of John". I remember reading the Foreword and thinking "Sheesh! What a Dick!". Here some guy is delivering a book, apparently very late and was less than promised and the basis he took the money. We got a sob story and an unapologetic stick-it, from my perspective. Ironically, it is still one of my favorite books.

Over the years, I've learned he was one of the better ones. As a subscriber to Hierophant, Talisman, West Coast Quarterly, some of Buzzbee's stuff, et. al. I received bupkis. Today I have one subscription (Genii) and never buy a pre-publication anything.

I'm unceasingly amazed at magicians' absolute willingness to take it in the shorts and then make apologies for the seller / producer. I'm a fair guy and understand problems happen - some worse than others. It takes MINUTES to write a quick email to a list and update customers. Silence is inexcusable.

Steve, when Racherbaumer had reprints of Heirophant and Kabbala done by Danny Korem and later by D. Robbins, he gave copies to people who had been original subscribers to those periodicals but never received the final issues. So, you should contact him (he's on Facebook) and he may still have an extra book around. It's been decades since they were republished, though.

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » May 11th, 2017, 10:55 pm

I have to say that I have been kept informed both by them answering every email (I only sent one) and soon after they sent out a message to all subscribers apologizing for and explaining the delay and promising that things would be back on schedule soon. If you are not getting their messages, let them know, because they are using the same email to deliver the subscriptions that they are to keep us informed.

jayadkins

Postby jayadkins » May 12th, 2017, 4:19 am

Bibliophage wrote:I have to say that I have been kept informed both by them answering every email (I only sent one) and soon after they sent out a message to all subscribers apologizing for and explaining the delay and promising that things would be back on schedule soon. If you are not getting their messages, let them know, because they are using the same email to deliver the subscriptions that they are to keep us informed.

Glad you get your emails answered as I emailed many times and received nothing last one I had was the mass email that said it would be with us in one or two weeks time that was three weeks ago. It's the lasp of time periods that get me. It seems that the subscriber pays the money which isn't cheap and then is just in the dark as to when it's arriving and when I questioned it i get harsh replies even after supporting the last few projects real secrets, everyday wonders, psience, the works plus Michaels releases. On the email that we last received it promoted a book that was over 200$ what a coincidence that another item is mentioned on this mailout was this the only reason we had this message? Sorry to sound harsh but I'm sure other subscribers are feeling the same

Let us know when anyone gets either psience missing two issues and also any of the works issues

We await with baited breath

performer

Postby performer » May 12th, 2017, 6:55 am

I don't want to comment on this specific situation but harsh or irritable replies are a major mistake in mail order. You can lose a customer for life that way. Better to give some insincere polite flannel to keep the punter happy or at least temporarily keep the wolves from the door. Of course not everyone has my pleasant and winning ways.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 12th, 2017, 12:45 pm

jayadkins: if you've received "harsh" replies I want you to prove it by forwarding them to me at moobooks@verizon.net

performer

Postby performer » May 12th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:jayadkins: if you've received "harsh" replies I want you to prove it by forwarding them to me at moobooks@verizon.net

Agreed. But to be fair he should provide his emails to them too. Sometimes harsh messages from the complainant provoke harsh messages from the recipient. If you say, "Where the bloody hell is my merchandise? You are a damn thief and I hope your house burns down!" you may well get a harsh reply since not everyone has my sense of tact and diplomacy. If however, you made a polite enquiry and got a harsh response then that is a different matter entirely.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 12th, 2017, 3:48 pm

I'm waiting ...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 12th, 2017, 4:12 pm

Email exchange received. There is nothing "harsh" in the responses to you, other than asking you to pay your balance.

jayadkins

Postby jayadkins » May 12th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Email exchange received. There is nothing "harsh" in the responses to you, other than asking you to pay your balance.

The harsh part was after paying in full asking me to send it back if I wasn't happy after politely asking after a huge period of time where the goods were that we have paid for. Feel we at least should have had something

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 12th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Nonsense. They did you a favor and you complained.

AJM

Postby AJM » May 12th, 2017, 7:43 pm

If one pays for something one should receive what is expected.

That's what I would expect in my day to day dealings with others although it seem to work differently in our little world for some reason.

Andrew

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » May 13th, 2017, 12:02 am

AJM wrote:If one pays for something one should receive what is expected.

and promised. I couldn't agree more. I recall subscribing to something called Cogitations some years back and the less was delivered than advertised. My biggest arguments were with those enablers stating they had received their moneys worth and were happy. Somehow, I became the bad guy for insisting on receiving what I paid for in good faith.

IT IS a strange little world.
Hell is empty and all of the devils are here. - William Shakespeare

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » May 13th, 2017, 12:46 am

I seem to remember someone paying for the Braue Notebooks and being publicly unhappy with their non-delivery.

In principle, I don't see how this is different.

performer

Postby performer » May 13th, 2017, 5:37 am

Again the problem is that everybody knows each other. When in the outside world you are dealing with companies and people you do not know you tend to be less forgiving. Familiarity breeds forgiveness.

jayadkins

Postby jayadkins » May 13th, 2017, 7:59 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Nonsense. They did you a favor and you complained.

Richard don't understand this comment and please let me know what the right part about it is........ I arranged to pay for the works over a few months. I thought it had been paid in full Tim contacted me to say it wasn't however he never said how much short it was even though I'd asked him multiple times. Finally he responded after many attempts of contacting him via email. He eventually told me the balance which I paid straight away. Then he sends me a message after I enquired where the goods were as I presumed he was withholding mine as mine wasn't paid in full (this not being the case as I understand no one has had any issues since January) bearing in mind I'm still owed two issues of Psience which had been paid for. Now bearing in mind I'm based in the UK if I was to send the box back it would cost me and there is a risk the box could get lost and I'm sure I wouldn't get credited if this was to happen. So as you can see me sending it back would be a crazy idea all I'm after is the issues we are owed

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 16th, 2017, 8:53 pm

As an FYI: The Works - Number 6 arrived today, along with the ad for The Works - Number 7

The method for 6 uses a unique item from the box and a clever method. 7 is a tribute to another mentalist.
Last edited by erdnasephile on May 16th, 2017, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joji Matsuo

Postby Joji Matsuo » May 16th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Just to add a word about how well Tim treats his customers.

I subscribed to the Works and waited for it to arrive for a few weeks. While on a business trip in the US, I read on this forum that many had already received their props so I asked my wife many times if she'd received the shipment. Turns out, my daughter received it and had it up in her room to safe keep it until I got back.
In the interim, I wrote to Tim explaining an experience I had when I ordered a book from Richard Kaufman. It got lost in the mail after several months of waiting, but somehow got bumped back into the pipeline when Margaret sent a replacement copy. The replacement copy arrived one day after the original copy arrived, which was postmarked 3 months earlier. Now I had two but rather than pay postage to send it back, I asked permission to resell it to a fellow magician and sent the money back to Richard.
When I shared this with Tim, he said that might have happened and promptly sent another box of props, which sure enough arrived the same day my wife was cleaning our daughter's room and found the first shipment.
I finally got home and after sorting this mess out, I apologized to Tim and offered to send it back. We exchanged a few emails and Tim politely declined on condition that I do not resell it. I intend to hand it to him or Michael when I get a chance as I've kept it in pristine condition.

There are two points to note about this, besides the fact that Tim paid double postage and bore costs for the second set of props: 1) there is definitely someone manning the email at Psience, and 2) that human is dedicated to seeing that his customers receive what they paid for.
Every communication I've had with Tim has been prompt and quite courteous.

jayadkins

Postby jayadkins » May 17th, 2017, 5:19 am

Issue 6 has arrived. Will be looking forward to reading it and hopefully now everything has been sorted.

TomJHodgson

Postby TomJHodgson » July 17th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Have we had any more issues since #6?

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » July 17th, 2017, 6:52 pm

TomJHodgson wrote:Have we had any more issues since #6?

no

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 17th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Nope

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » July 17th, 2017, 10:40 pm

I rattled their cage and was informed that we are about to get a new Psience and a new Works installment.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”