The Works

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The Works

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 5th, 2016, 9:28 pm

A dependable source has informed me that there will be a Member's Forum for those who are a part of The Works.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Arcato

Postby Arcato » September 6th, 2016, 6:15 pm

I received my box in the mail today. Nice job on personalizing it, I really like that.
Other than the wallet I didn't examine the props that much... couldn't make too much of them anyway... I wonder which one is for "The Unseen" ...
It would be great if there would be an official forum soon...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 6th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Not sure if asking this would be a spoiler, but here goes: is the wallet something that is a first time release from Mr. Weber?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 6th, 2016, 9:16 pm

I believe so. I have not looked at the previous wallets he released in a while (except the most recent peek wallet, but this is entirely different than that), but I don't think it's the same.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 7th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Is this the wallet? (image from Martin's Magic site)

AaronSmith

Postby AaronSmith » September 7th, 2016, 12:35 pm

The wallet is not the same as the Weber Wallet.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 7th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Thanks!

qkeli

Postby qkeli » September 7th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Hi,

Can we all keep secret all the information concerning this project or at least kee it between the members only and wait for the forum to be open, as suugested by RK.

By the way, for thiose who were members of the previous projects, i came back to it and reread a few of the routines and theres is some really good stuff, if you want to exchange via pm on what you use or found interesting ;)
chacun de nous est magique, combien le realisent et combien partent trop vite...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 8th, 2016, 8:18 pm

OK--the curiosity (and Weber's stellar reputation) got the best of me. It sounds like too much fun to miss--I'm in!

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » September 9th, 2016, 12:00 am

I'm surprised he did not sell out at Magic Live.

Still waiting for my box to arrive.

I have no doubt this will be a stellar project.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 9th, 2016, 6:13 am

PickaCard wrote:I'm surprised he did not sell out at Magic Live.

I think it's because $350 (plus shipping) is nothing to sneeze at--can buy a really nice set of Sherwoods for less than that. ;)

Also, Real Secrets may have something to do with it as well, since one of the criticisms of that project was an alleged sense of sameness to several of the offerings from month to month.

Finally, it's hard to put down that much money since you don't know exactly what you are purchasing.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » September 9th, 2016, 9:49 am

Good points. I just assumed that 200 sets was very limited...

Arcato

Postby Arcato » September 9th, 2016, 2:12 pm

As far as I know Weber didn't sell it at Magic Live at all... (or did I miss him?). In fact he didn't sell anything at the event...

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 9th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Arcato wrote:

As far as I know Weber didn't sell it at Magic Live at all... (or did I miss him?). In fact he didn't sell anything at the event...

he set up shop at the presenter's tables at the back of the dealer's room. had a few things for sale. not sure if this was offered.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 9th, 2016, 2:29 pm

I don't believe this item was ready for MAGIC Live, but he did have one or two other new things that I have not seen described or sold anywhere else.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » September 9th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Then it is my mistake. I was under the impression Magic Live was the official public launch for the Works. The ad posted in this thread was sent only to Journal of Psience and past Real Secrets members I believe.

Orlan

Postby Orlan » September 10th, 2016, 8:33 pm

So is it safe to assume that the original run for Psience is now complete and it has fully transitioned into The Works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomJHodgson

Postby TomJHodgson » September 10th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Orlan wrote:So is it safe to assume that the original run for Psience is now complete and it has fully transitioned into The Works?

The year for Psience includes 6 issues and 2 Bonus issues. So far we have only recieved 5 Normal issues and 1 Bonus. So I assume there will be still 2 more issues to go. As well as The Works beginning.

jayadkins
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby jayadkins » September 27th, 2016, 8:54 am

Waiting with baited breath for the second issue of instructions....... Please deliver soon as i'm getting itchy

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 27th, 2016, 3:30 pm

I realize that The Works is expensive and therefore, exclusive; however, there are some things I wish I had known before purchasing. Namely: is The Works anything like Real Secrets? I think this information would be helpful for others to know who may still be contemplating purchase.

Without giving away too much, I would say: "No and Yes".

Specifically: the hardbound book sided box contains a great deal more for your money than RS. One thing that bugged some people about RS was that many of the tricks were made of cardboard (or consisted of another version of the same effect several times).

Not so here. As others have said, you get a really nice, professional wallet. It's definitely "more" than the previously released Weber Wallet--very clever indeed--lots of possibilities here! Other interesting material objects abound--metal, electronic, cloth, optics, etc--the ad was entirely truthful. One thing that gave me a tiny pause were some things that looked familiar from RS. (I'm sure the effect that uses them is going to be different than RS, but they are present nevertheless). Finally, there are a bunch of "normal" objects included, which I am hoping have some cool gaff in them that I will be blown away by because I sure can't find it! In summary, there is an enhanced feel of quality of these props vs. RS, and that's a good thing in my book.

Second, the first trick is described in great detail--much more so than the typical RS effect. It's a stand up piece that is very adaptable to lots of different presentations and personalities. It's extremely practical, and I can actually see myself doing it. Interestingly, you don't really require any of the items in the box to do the effect (except for the variation). This doesn't bother me: for pretty much every Weber product, you are paying for the thinking behind the effect, rather than the material objects that come with. If the subsequent effects are like the first, I'll be well pleased. I also like that they preview the next trick coming, so we can experience the effect as the audience sees it, and therefore, be more prepared to recreate that sensation when it arrives.

Hopefully, if there are any previous RS purchasers that are still on the fence, this brief comment will help them know what side they want to land on. Cheers!

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » September 27th, 2016, 9:52 pm

One thing I've noticed about some of Weber's material, there tends to be a bit of overlap.

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » September 28th, 2016, 12:52 am

Mac Stone wrote:One thing I've noticed about some of Weber's material, there tends to be a bit of overlap.

Not sure about an overlap, but he does keep returning to classic problems and solving them differently and probably better each time. Don't know who else went to Magic Live, but the idea of performing Jackpot Coins with liquid is something I don't think anyone else even got close to thinking about before. His book on the TCPD has ten different versions of that Classic, but each of them is really different with one of them using a single poker hand torn in halves and another played over the phone with no actual cards at all.

Was there something in particular that stands out to you Mac?

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » September 28th, 2016, 6:43 am

I could do without any more effects with receipts...

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » September 28th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Bibliophage wrote:
Mac Stone wrote:One thing I've noticed about some of Weber's material, there tends to be a bit of overlap.

Not sure about an overlap, but he does keep returning to classic problems and solving them differently and probably better each time. Don't know who else went to Magic Live, but the idea of performing Jackpot Coins with liquid is something I don't think anyone else even got close to thinking about before. His book on the TCPD has ten different versions of that Classic, but each of them is really different with one of them using a single poker hand torn in halves and another played over the phone with no actual cards at all.

Was there something in particular that stands out to you Mac?

Yes, he revisits plots.

Nothing stands out worth mentioning. I did not mean it as a criticism, more a matter of fact.

It was mentioned that a criticism of Real Secrets was the revisiting of plots several times over. I think it would be reasonable to assume The Works may revisit some of Weber's favorite plots. Again, not a criticism from me. I for one am very pleased with my decision to be a part of The Works, I only wish there were a schedule for releasing the updates.

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » September 28th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Just got installment number two and the description of number three!

Seems like the first three effects are going to work together in some way.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 28th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Yup: number 2 just hit my inbox.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » September 28th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Did anyone receive the instructions to the Bonus item for early subscribers The Unseen?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 28th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Haven't seen it yet.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 28th, 2016, 8:54 pm

The Works 2 has confirmed my initial impressions--this is great, sneaky stuff. This is the kind of integrated routine (purchasers will know what I mean) that I had hoped for. No pipedreams. Very happy!

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » October 30th, 2016, 10:55 pm

Instructions for number Three just arrived and tied the first three effects all together. (Are we allow to say that?)

The part of the wallet that I didn't understand now makes total sense.

Next month's effect has me puzzled, not sure how this is possible without gimmicks and the ad says everything is ordinary.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » October 31st, 2016, 2:25 am

Mr. Weber & Mr. Trono just have that kind of brain. So clever, and I'm so happy that they choose to share their work with us.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 31st, 2016, 10:40 am

I wonder when the Members Forum will be up. Would be nice to discuss these effects.

AaronSmith

Postby AaronSmith » February 24th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Has anyone received the 6th set of instructions for this yet?

mike redd
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby mike redd » February 25th, 2017, 4:28 pm

I have not seen it yet.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » February 25th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Members Forum... Did it ever workout for Real Secrets?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 25th, 2017, 5:12 pm

I spoke to Tim Trono in Blackpool and he said they're still trying to work out the bugs on the member's forum.

No, Item 6 has not been released yet.

qkeli

Postby qkeli » March 30th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Any news on the issue of this month and the forum please ?
chacun de nous est magique, combien le realisent et combien partent trop vite...

Arcato

Postby Arcato » March 30th, 2017, 4:18 pm

qkeli wrote:Any news on the issue of this month and the forum please ?

This month? I haven't received anything since 5th Jan. 2017...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 30th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Enquiry sent.

AaronSmith

Postby AaronSmith » April 4th, 2017, 7:48 am

I've just heard back from my email. There's been a delay due to personal matters but everyone will get everything they promised us.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”